Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ratdude's Main Rig V5.6

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
    This was from the original V5 thread... sure diff meant RAID 10 (which I ultimatly did use several revisions later)... but regarding Topcat's comment then on Windows 10, we're about to find out!

My wife is just now getting to using it... and as preventative future proofing, I'm putting it on Windows 10 (since she is gaming with it).

Direct install didn't want to see my RAID array... I'm trying upgrading the windows 7 install now to see if that works around the array detection issue (I remember the windows 7 install being fluky as well, ****ing adaptec).
    I'm pondering this back-burner for my office machine, but I'll skip w10. I'll likely up to S2K12 R2 Standard carved into 'workstation mode'. It's supported through 2023....might be a good stepping stone to whatever lies after.... I dont think MS will have as hard of a time killing off Win7 as they did with XP....but there will be dome die-hards for sure.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Microsoft are offering a further 3 years of support for Windows 7 if you're an enterprise with deep pockets. I don't think it will take too long before they are available to others.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        I'm pondering this back-burner for my office machine, but I'll skip w10. I'll likely up to S2K12 R2 Standard carved into 'workstation mode'. It's supported through 2023....might be a good stepping stone to whatever lies after.... I dont think MS will have as hard of a time killing off Win7 as they did with XP....but there will be dome die-hards for sure.
        In this case it's to future proof it for gaming (I.E. Blizzard or the like drops 7 support). In the case of V6 (already on 10) it was because M$ killed the metadata server used by WMP for registering/labeling ripped CDs. 8.1+'s WMP has been updated to use a new server/format, but windows 7's was left behind. I didn't like the third party options out there, so I figured this was the best option (plus it gave me a chance to see if I could upgrade from DAZ).

I tried Server 2k12... not my thing. I want desktop usability, and it seemed a bit too stripped down for my taste.

Originally posted by diif View Post
        Microsoft are offering a further 3 years of support for Windows 7 if you're an enterprise with deep pockets. I don't think it will take too long before they are available to others.
        See above; that's not the issue. M$ will extend paid support for those running legacy setups that are a PITA to upgrade (read: CNC machines, custom microscope machines, medical equipment, etc.)... makers of desktop software, likely not for long (or as long as the software happens to support 7). I've already hit that issue three years ago with some software I use (luckily on dedicated servers already with Server Sk16 and toughbooks with W10) due to a .net protocol change (used to send data over a local network).

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
        what flavour of win10 is it? it must be win10 pro or some enterprise version or such to get win10 to work with raid arrays. the home versions of win7 and 10 dont have the feature to work with raid arrays or such.
        Windows 10 Pro. 7 Ultimate upgrades to 10 pro. And that's what all my W7 installs are .

I may try downloading a newer image... maybe my old image has a bug?
        Last edited by ratdude747; 06-17-2019, 05:45 PM.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

See above; that's not the issue. M$ will extend paid support for those running legacy setups that are a PITA to upgrade (read: CNC machines, custom microscope machines, medical equipment, etc.)... makers of desktop software, likely not for long (or as long as the software happens to support 7). I've already hit that issue three years ago with some software I use (luckily on dedicated servers already with Server Sk16 and toughbooks with W10) due to a .net protocol change (used to send data over a local network).
          I wasn't referencing your post but the extensions are for enterprises for deep pockets. Those that have legacy software. Microsoft have been very clear on the issue and it's been referenced several times in the IT press.

Comment

Update: DL'd a new W10 image, wrote to a USB stick, saw the array. Go figure.
            sigpic

Comment

Quick update: This rig is getting replaced by a new build:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=955085

...and it's moving to the garage (converted to 4U mode, to fit on a cart under the workbench).

Also played musical GPUs a bunch... right now it has an ASUS strix 970 in it. I have 5 different 970 cards right now...
              sigpic

Comment

Well, leave it to RD to BBQ things... This time, the sound chip. Had a mishap using the line-in port to test a turntable/tape/radio combo (accidentally sent full blast speaker output through it! )

Going to add an Audigy 4 card... Found one with a USB IR receiver and remote for $27 shipped. Also getting some RCA to female 3.5mm adapters so I can use other things to test such.
                sigpic

Comment

lol.... Were you attempting to record something?
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

lol.... Were you attempting to record something?
                    Nope, just test.

Off topic info on the turntable combo unit: It's actually destined to replace the dual kenwood cassette deck in my church's AV booth. We don't dub tapes, so no need for a dual deck (unless I wanted to have two songs on tape ready without switching, although swapping tapes is fast enough if I have them preset to the right spot). As it is, the AV setup has no AM/FM radio and certainly no turntable (I have some church-appropriate LPs and several of the congregation likely do as well). Overkill? You bet! But that's how I roll. FWIW the unit was a $9.99 goodwill outlet find (items over 20lbs are apparently eligible for a manager's discount, which it barely was!). Needs a $20 idler (drive) tire in the turntable, but otherwise a good cleaning and it seems to work. Only bummer is it can't do 78's... but I doubt we'll be getting many of those for a song request! (if I want that, I'll need an old BSR flip-needle one like I have in my 8 track combo console at home).
                    sigpic

Comment

I asked just because I just did a recording back in August in a similar fashion.... Used an old XP box with recording & editing software that was most comfy on XP.

Old 70's era Technics turntable I refurbished for a customer....I did some 'extra testing' to record this record for my dad. Phono outputs are not lineouts....they're lower voltage and also because of the properties of records, frequency reversal. If you plug this into a regular line-in, it'll be low volume and have a strange muffled sound (the frequency issue).... Note the little black box next to the turntable....this provides the necessary pre-amp line correction needed to use a phono on a standard line-in....

This is one complete side (don't remember which)....I cleaned up the pops (the spikes you see in the waveform) and then cut it into individual tracks....then compiled into MP3 format.

There's some history behind this record for my dad....but I won't hijack your thread any further.
                      Attached Files
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

I asked just because I just did a recording back in August in a similar fashion.... Used an old XP box with recording & editing software that was most comfy on XP.

Old 70's era Technics turntable I refurbished for a customer....I did some 'extra testing' to record this record for my dad. Phono outputs are not lineouts....they're lower voltage and also because of the properties of records, frequency reversal. If you plug this into a regular line-in, it'll be low volume and have a strange muffled sound (the frequency issue).... Note the little black box next to the turntable....this provides the necessary pre-amp line correction needed to use a phono on a standard line-in....

This is one complete side (don't remember which)....I cleaned up the pops (the spikes you see in the waveform) and then cut it into individual tracks....then compiled into MP3 format.

There's some history behind this record for my dad....but I won't hijack your thread any further.
                        No sweat. I wonder if that's why the "aux" outputs didn't' do anything on the radio or tape deck (didn't test the turntable, too lazy to hand-spin an LP). Sounds like my best bet is to buy/make a dual attenuator to cut the 8 0hm speaker output down to line-in safe levels?
                        sigpic

Comment

No sweat. I wonder if that's why the "aux" outputs didn't' do anything on the radio or tape deck (didn't test the turntable, too lazy to hand-spin an LP). Sounds like my best bet is to buy/make a dual attenuator to cut the 8 0hm speaker output down to line-in safe levels?
                          Quick update to close out this tangent: They're Aux IN ports

Ended up getting a couple car-audio rated adjustable dual attenuators and I'll use that to interface with the mixer board at church. Works great when run on one of my KVM jacks.... technically I could have tapped into the headphone jack (directly or internally via hacking)... but I wanted to keep it intact for troubleshooting. Plan B?

Jamming LP's on it now (well, a maxi single, that is)... after replacing the idler and relubing everything I finally go it to work. It ain't no Technics SL-1200 but for what I'd be doing it'll work... it's a church AV booth, not a hip hop rave bar!
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X