GTX970 vs 1060

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTX970 vs 1060

My dad fried his GTX 1060 in his Ryzen 5 rig (Windows 10)... By unplugging it after shutting down .

I can get those used in the $225 ballpark. Or, I can get a GTX 970 in the $180 ballpark.

He doesn't need native VGA support, so either works... so which is the better way to go? Or something else in the same performance range for less?

He uses it for games using his Wahoo! bike trainer... Zwift and Sufferfest. Don't need a king kong GPU here. But better than the POS 8400GS I uses to verify the fried GPU (and confirm that the LCD and mobo are still good.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: GTX970 vs 1060

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
    My dad fried his GTX 1060 in his Ryzen 5 rig (Windows 10)... By unplugging it after shutting down .

I can get those used in the $225 ballpark. Or, I can get a GTX 970 in the $180 ballpark.

He doesn't need native VGA support, so either works... so which is the better way to go? Or something else in the same performance range for less?

He uses it for games using his Wahoo! bike trainer... Zwift and Sufferfest. Don't need a king kong GPU here. But better than the POS 8400GS I uses to verify the fried GPU (and confirm that the LCD and mobo are still good.
    $180 for a 970? Before all this craze, they could be had all day long for ~$100ish!

Would a 560ti work? I think I've got one not in use.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      $180 for a 970? Before all this craze, they could be had all day long for ~$100ish!

Would a 560ti work? I think I've got one not in use.
      I'd rather not.... But thanks for offering.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
        I'd rather not.... But thanks for offering.
        No sweat.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

both score about the same so just pick the cheapest one

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/c...060/2954vs3548
          Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
          ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Pascal is likely to stay supported for a few years longer than Maxwell. Also it supports a newer CUDA version, may or may not matter here. That's to be expected for a graphics card 2 years newer.
            Assuming it's the 6GB version not the 3GB version, 1060 has more VRAM and none of that 3.5+0.5GB nonsense of the 970. And still slightly better perf than 970, benchmarks say you can expect 5 to 20% higher average FPS depending on game and settings.
            So if price isn't the main concern I'd go for the more recent one.
            As for raw price/game performance ratio, if you can indeed get them at these exact prices, the 970 would be slightly ahead.
            OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              QFT! Makes me miss 2019 and even most of "two-zero", was better than the current video card price fiasco!

"two-one", will go down in the history books!
              Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 11-07-2021, 02:03 AM. Reason: Cleaned up the quote.
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I got a "used" mining gtx 1060 on ebay in 2019 during the mining crash it was only $100. Its still working great and the 6gb version. Also owned a GTX 970 4gb and liked it too, I would probably go for the 970 to save money for dad unless hes a HARDCORE gamer.
                My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

^
                  I concur. The 970 is a great card. I have a 1070ti 8gb as well, which is a good one as well....but at the nutty prices of today is a ~$350 card! I've seen some 1080ti's going for close to 500, live bidding. ...but if not doing serious hardcore gaming, the 970 is still a fabulous GPU! ...but I'm with Uranium on this one; they score about the same, so scout the best deal and run with it.
                  Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                  QFT! Makes me miss 2019 and even most of "two-zero", was better than the current video card price fiasco!

"two-one", will go down in the history books!
                  Seeing what 24gb M6000's are going for, I was half tempted to sell mine....Seen some with ~$1000+ BIN's, and they were selling!! Live bidding, they go for 800ish give or take a hundred....but something tells me I would regret selling such a nice card, infact its the best GPU I've ever owned....and even better I got mine in a goodie box of PC hardware that was deemed recycle fodder from a university. I don't believe the card was ever used, it was in pristine condition and not a speck of dust in the fan.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

I have a 1070ti too. I don't know why you spend so much on such a card if you're not gaming on it

Oh yeah, I found the 5500
                    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                      I have a 1070ti too. I don't know why you spend so much on such a card if you're not gaming on it
                      I didn't....and you're right, not being gamer I wouldn't buy something like this unless it's for a customer by request. https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...postcount=5078

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                      Oh yeah, I found the 5500
                      'bout time!! Lemme know when you're ready send it!
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                      X