TCL 49S405 burnt resistor R413 and will not power on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TCL 49S405 burnt resistor R413 and will not power on

Appreciate all of the effort that goes into what I have seen so far on these forums. Pretty amazing work!

I'm trying to troubleshoot a friend's TCL 49S405, a 49" Roku TV from 2017. Friend heard a pop and then the TV would no longer power on. I opened it up expecting to find something amiss on the power board, and I did.

Resistor R413 was burnt. It appeared to be the only damaged component from a visual standpoint. Google revealed this to be a very common burnt resistor for this board in the S405 series.

https://old.reddit.com/r/techsupport..._tcl_tv_power/

I am having a hard time determining the value of my particular resistor based on the color code. There appear to be some variations of the R413 value from board to board (see kit photo with slightly different colors). Is it a 4-band with orange, orange, silver, gold, and a meaningless black ring? A 5-band with black, yellow, grey, orange, orange?

The possibilities seem to be 0.33 ohms with 5% tolerance, or 33.8 ohms with 0.5% tolerance. Most posts including the Reddit thread linked above seem to land upon the latter, but 33.8 ohms with 0.5% tolerance seems like a bizarre choice for a commodity TV. Perhaps the kit photo of R413's relative location on the board might shed light on what its resistance value should be.

The miniature square fuse by the power input still had continuity and other spot-checked components on the board returned their proper values. Is it possible that this is the only damaged component?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by is3000; 11-15-2021, 10:01 PM. Reason: Added attachments.

Re: TCL 49S405 burnt resistor R413 and will not power on

The black band indicates it's non inductive, it's orange, orange, silver, gold -
    0.33Ω 5%

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
      The black band indicates it's non inductive, it's orange, orange, silver, gold -
      0.33Ω 5%
      Thank you so much, very good to know that info.

I will start by purchasing a set of 0.33Ω 1W 1% metal film resistors from Le 'Bay.

Comment

I would also check your diodes and FETs for shorts and check if the fuse is blown.

Comment

being used as a fusible resistor... i'd check some fets and diodes... there is a short somewhere.

Comment

If R413 is open, it is likely QW2 is shorted, When this happens, U402 ic may also be damaged along with the gate drive components and the CS resistor R402

Comment

I tried replacing resistor R413 all by itself and... no dice. Figured it couldn't hurt to try.

Originally posted by R_J View Post
              If R413 is open, it is likely QW2 is shorted, When this happens, U402 ic may also be damaged along with the gate drive components and the CS resistor R402
              R402 and R421 look to be in rough shape, now that you mention it.

To save time, I am going to purchase a new power board while I continue looking into this one.
              Attached Files

Comment

I replaced the power board and everything seems to be working normally now.

Comment

Hey, were you ever able to replace the resistor and get the board to work?

Comment

Working...
                  X