Antec BP500U APFC Coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antec BP500U APFC Coil

Antec BP500U PSU fried in my wife's gaming PC. I smelled something unpleasant last night, so I had a hunch something might be amiss. Woke up this morning to a popped breaker and immediately assumed the APFC cap must have blown. I last fixed it sometime in 2011, there's a thread about it here someplace. APFC and secondary caps that time. Replaced them with Panasonic caps. 10+yrs is probably a good run. It's been running 24/7 the last 3yrs, eth mining with a 1070ti and AFK fishing in Black Desert Online, lol.

Anyway, cracked it open this morning, expecting it to just be the APFC cap and a MOSFET or two, which it very well could be, but right off I see the APFC coil is black and stinky. Awesome! I assume the enamel on it is pretty compromised and it needs to be replaced, but is it possible to even get a replacement anywhere? I don't even know the specs on it.

I'd really like to salvage this if possible, it's the only PSU that fits perfectly into my casemodded Mac Quicksilver case.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GnatGoSplat; 11-02-2021, 09:24 AM.

Re: Antec BP500U APFC Coil

That is a FSP power supply, you may be able to use this thread linked below to at least judge the original color of the coil, as that narrows it down.
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...highlight=coil

Momaka has written some threads on coils, so you may wanna search for those and read them, here is the one I had in mind:
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...light=inductor
    Last edited by Per Hansson; 11-02-2021, 10:48 AM. Reason: thread found
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Thanks, there are a few pics of a BP500U in that thread, but I can't see the core color through the windings. Other FSP PSUs in that thread had a blue core, but from what I can tell on the one pic I have from a "before" shot of a previous bad cap repair, the core on mine is a yellowish color or pale green, not sure. It's unfortunately, the best pic I have that shows the coil in a healthy state.

I'm not sure I want to wind my own. I hadn't been too successful with that in the past.
      Attached Files

Comment

Here is a video of a similar 500 watt PS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7SFR9-1Z48
        It does look like a blue core?
        Last edited by R_J; 11-02-2021, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Don't forget that if it was bad enough to trip the bkr, it's likely got shorted MOSFETs & diodes.
          It is possible to trip the branch ckt bkr & not blow the internal fuse (though it probably is blown)-
          some have rather fast magnetic trip, which picks up on dead shorts (blown MOSFETs & diodes).

Check the APFC MOSFET(s) & diode(s) with a DMM; if bad, you also have to repair the driver circuits.
          Shorted MOSFETs typically backfeed the driver IC when they fail;
          a new APFC inductor will not fix it if other parts are bad.
          "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
          Originally posted by shango066
          All style and no substance.
          Originally posted by smashstuff30
          guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
          guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Thanks, @kaboom, I'm pretty certain the MOSFETs and other associated semiconductors are blown since that happened 10yrs ago when the PFC cap went bad. I don't remember having any issues sourcing suitable replacements for the semis, but the PFC coil might be a show stopper.

Comment

Working...
            X