Removing large LCD panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing large LCD panels

I'm curious what techniques everyone uses to remove/move/lift large LCD TV panels when doing backlight repairs. I typically use two large suction cups, but lifting a 65" panel off a LG a month ago and I got a little too close to the wall and accidentally crammed the corner of the panel into the wall (gouged the drywall even) which resulted in a single crack all the way across the panel. Thankfully I just do this as a hobby on TV's that I scrounge up to repair and sell, so I didn't have to make a dreaded phone call to a customer.

That incident got me thinking about making some kind of hoist/sling mechanism to support under the panel and lift the panel straight up, instead of carrying the panel over to some other surface. I did stumble across this video on Youtube that shows a homemade lift with an electric winch on the ceiling (maybe a bit overkill?) but it got me wondering if anyone else has any nifty gadgets or creative techniques to safely remove large LCD panels?

Re: Removing large LCD panels

Following some advice posted here, I do backlight replacements on a carpeted area behind a couch. When I am ready to remove the panel, I lift the TV and let the panel slide out so it rests vertically against the back of the couch. I then rest the diffuser sheets against it maintaining the order and orientation and to protect the panel. Reverse the process to reinstall though I may need suction cups for final alignment. Can post some pics in a day or two. Waiting for strips for a Hisense 55H5C with blue backlights.

Comment

It looks like working space is a big factor for many of us.
      I did try sliding larger diffuser sheet under, but it needs lots of patience and I managed once to sctatch top diffuser sheet in TV, basically it's not worth it.
      What I use is a large grab bar with 2 suction caps for bathroom, it's a medical item for special needs people. I can lift 65" easily with it. Big benefit is that panel edges and corners are not stressed at all.
      If storage space is a problem, I suggest to reassemble everything back while waiting for backlights.

Comment

For larger sets, I've used the suction cup tools that glass installers use, the cups are silicone and wont scratch and grip nicely. Smaller sets, I usually just carefully lift the panel out. I'm usually more worried about tearing/damaging tab bonds than I am actually breaking the panels....for some reason when they're flopping around loose, it makes me nervous.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by neilc6 View Post
          Following some advice posted here, I do backlight replacements on a carpeted area behind a couch. When I am ready to remove the panel, I lift the TV and let the panel slide out so it rests vertically against the back of the couch. I then rest the diffuser sheets against it maintaining the order and orientation and to protect the panel. Reverse the process to reinstall though I may need suction cups for final alignment. Can post some pics in a day or two. Waiting for strips for a Hisense 55H5C with blue backlights.
          I’d be interested in seeing that process. Standing the thin panels on edge would make me nervous though, especially for those that have tabs on the bottom (or top) edge. I guess you’d just flip the TV so the non-tabbed side was resting on the floor.
          Last edited by earz; 05-20-2021, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Following some advice posted here, I do backlight replacements on a carpeted area behind a couch. When I am ready to remove the panel, I lift the TV and let the panel slide out so it rests vertically against the back of the couch.
            It's the same way as mine. I have done +/- 8 tv's (between 40" and 55") and never had any issues.

Didn't want to use suction cups, I'm afraid for breaking the glass with creating a to strong vacuum with those suction cups and lifting the glass horizontal.

Comment

Here are pics as promised for a blue backlight Hisense 55H5C. Yes the panel boards go on top. I remove the back screws with the TV vertical. I barely touch the panel and let it drop out (two small pieces of tape holding it down on this model). Used suction cups to adjust the panel down a couple of mm after dropping it back in. Better to have the strips in hand than to have the TV apart for extended periods. Always test the backlights with them exposed and with the diffuser sheets installed to check for dirt, dust, and evenness. Also be careful lifting up the chassis. I did a LG 50LN once and cracked the panel by lifting the chassis from the side and it twisted cracking the panel.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by neilc6; 05-21-2021, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Here are pics as promised for a blue backlight Hisense 55H5C. Yes the panel boards go on top. I remove the back screws with the TV vertical. I barely touch the panel and let it drop out (two small pieces of tape holding it down on this model). Used suction cups to adjust the panel down a couple of mm after dropping it back in. Better to have the strips in hand than to have the TV apart for extended periods. Always test the backlights with them exposed and with the diffuser sheets installed to check for dirt, dust, and evenness. Also be careful lifting up the chassis. I did a LG 50LN once and cracked the panel by lifting the chassis from the side and it twisted cracking the panel.
                I like your method!

LCD TV servicing=Multiple mea maxima culpas!
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Here's a discussion that we had a couple of years ago on this very issue.

My go-to tool for removing large panes is my pair of double suction cup grippers.

Comment

One thing to add - resist the temptation of setting a panel directly on any form of carpet. It will attract stray fibers and lint like a magnet. Set the panel on a clean cotton towel and set the diffusers also on the towel in front of the panel (they are "attractive", too). Also, do not touch the panel or the diffusers with an unprotected hand. The oils in you hand will leave a mark that will have to be cleaned off. Wear a pair of cotton gloves, or even put a pair of cotton socks over your hand when you handle the panel.

Comment

I recently got some suction cups that are meant for lifting TV panels and the first 2 TVs I used them on they worked perfect, although I did feel that the suction appeared to be very strong. Nonetheless, since it worked I used them on the next TV. Worked fine, but when I finished fixing the backlights and picked up the panel, there was a slight crack sound. I inspected the TV and saw nothing, so I continued assembling it. When I turned it on, sure enough one of the suction cups cracked a circle on the panel... maybe the suction is too strong, maybe I lifted it too fast, I don't know.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Despite long inactivity in the thread, and not a answer to any of the previous posts, Im posting a similar problem that I recently experienced.
                        After replacing all backlights on a Samsung 55" UE55JU6875, I got blue marks and som blue dots in dark pictures, see attached picture. This is only visibel in dark pictures. Used suctioncups to lift of the screen, so the bowmarks is caused by this, but not the dots. Anyone have explanation on what causing this?
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by dagav; 09-12-2022, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dagav View Post
                          Despite long inactivity in the thread, and not a answer to any of the previous posts, Im posting a similar problem that I recently experienced.
                          After replacing all backlights on a Samsung 55" UE55JU6875, I got blue marks and som blue dots in dark pictures, see attached picture. This is only visibel in dark pictures. Used suctioncups to lift of the screen, so the bowmarks is caused by this, but not the dots. Anyone have explanation on what causing this?
                          This looks like the spacers inside the panel have pressed against the panel under pressure, giving you such errors.

Comment

I haven't had that problem but watched Nick's video where he said suction marks would clear up. The spots are probably on diffusers.
                            I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

I've made a wooden brace which ican adjust to fit the glass panel size , them use some decent blue tape (like decorators use) to stick this to the glass. Then can lift the panel fully supported off and stand on its edge. The wood brace is holding it off the surface slightly. Works well. Can swap the panel out quite easily.

Comment

Originally posted by dskall View Post
                                I haven't had that problem but watched Nick's video where he said suction marks would clear up. The spots are probably on diffusers.
                                Do you have a link to the video?

Comment

Originally posted by stav242 View Post
                                  I've made a wooden brace which ican adjust to fit the glass panel size , them use some decent blue tape (like decorators use) to stick this to the glass. Then can lift the panel fully supported off and stand on its edge. The wood brace is holding it off the surface slightly. Works well. Can swap the panel out quite easily.
                                  Could you supply any photos of your wooden brace? Looking for ideas. Thanks

Comment

I have jsed stav242's wooden brace method along with suction cups on several occasions each. Both have had instances where my heart skipped a beat when something was about to go wrong. Suction cups slip and or come off mid-lift. Wooden braces brush against delicate wires or film which protrude from the glass they are trying to support.

I like the looks of the back of the couch method though

Comment

I always use my hands and never broke a panel. I’ve done everything from 32” up to 86” LGs this way.
                                      I broke 2 panels with suction cups and never again.
                                      Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Storyteller12 View Post
                                        I always use my hands and never broke a panel. I've done everything from 32” up to 86” LGs this way.
                                        I broke 2 panels with suction cups and never again.
                                        Just my 2 cents.
                                        When you say you use your hands do you mean you lift it and grip it vertically (like a suitcase) or horizontally (like you would carry an extra extra large pizza)?

I have found that misting the screen with a little spray bottle before applying the suction cups help a lot. I also use the smaller cheaper suction cups. The quality gives the sweet spot for applying to screens. Too cheap to have a strong bond/suction that would damage the screen but just strong enough to stay attached with the aid of water and a clean surface. I got mine from Harbor Freight.

Comment

Working...
                                        X