• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fish Tank LED Power Supply Gets Hot then shuts down

Originally posted by EasyGoing1 View Post
    Only identifying markings on the PCB are these

SPI = Sparkle Power Inc.
    As for the caps, you really need to check the ESR, not the fluke capacitance test. I even caught my Fluke 289 telling me bull. More interesting look at the main filter cap. See what you get there.

Hopefully we find a SPI schematic with a KA7500.

Comment

http://www.danyk.cz/s_atx_en.html

Comment

btw, it's not ATX, it's the older AT type supply.

Comment

Looks like it only has 2 power rails. Probably 5V and 12V. That’s it.

Anyway suspects #1 have been pointed out. Basically all caps in the primary.
          Last edited by CapLeaker; 09-26-2022, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Yes, 5v and 12v.
            A single ATX supply being used here.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRB4PllKak4

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
              As for the caps, you really need to check the ESR
              The ESR says that they are good if they are under 200uF ... which they are not. But it seems to say that a lot... its a new meter just got it the other day ... cost me about $55 and came recommended by this guy, who seems to be highly respected and very knowledgable.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                Yes, 5v and 12v.
                A single ATX supply being used here.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRB4PllKak4
                Looks like he adapted a "single rail" - whatever that is - ATX power supply to make it power the lights ... would have been nice if he posted a schematic or even the link to the fix that he found ... 8 years ago ...

Comment

His fix was to ditch the two supplies and switch to an ATX power supply. He uses the 12v, 5v and ground wires and the green wire to ground turn it on.

Comment

His fix was to ditch the two supplies and switch to an ATX power supply. He uses the 12v, 5v and ground wires and the green wire to ground turn it on.
                    OK that's easy enough and might be a lot cheaper than buying the parts to repair this one ... and might even last longer. He mentioned a white wire in that video do you know what he was talking about? nvm he said green to black and white to black ... easy peasy ... now to find a single rail 500W power supply on a budget...

Just looked up single rail vs multi-rail and as long as I'm tying all of the 12-volt lines together it shouldn't matter which type I get, right?
                    Last edited by EasyGoing1; 09-27-2022, 11:55 AM.

Comment

The white wire is coming from the light, he has cut out the connector.
                      I think he is still using one of the other power supplies.

Comment

I think he is still using one of the other power supplies.
                        You're correct he only replaced one of the power supplies with the 500W atx ... But in all reality ... you would think 500 watts could power the whole unit without needing the second power supply...

I'd probably have to go up to a 750 or 1000 watt PS if I wanted to replace both with one.
                        Last edited by EasyGoing1; 09-27-2022, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyGoing1 View Post
                          The ESR says that they are good if they are under 200uF ... which they are not. But it seems to say that a lot... its a new meter just got it the other day ... cost me about $55 and came recommended by this guy, who seems to be highly respected and very knowledgable.
                          what were the actual values? ESR rating is in ohms.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                            what were the actual values? ESR rating is in ohms.
                            Heres how I did these readings:

1 - Powered on, Zero'd the meter, took the reading
                            2 - Switched modes, Zero, Read
                            3 - Switched modes, Zero, Read
                            4 - Switched modes, Zero, Read
                            5 - Zero'd, Read
                            6 - Zero'd, Read

Comment

I realized that I have this old Dell workstation that I was just gonna throw away ... circa 2002 model that has a 375 watt power supply in it ... figured it couldn't hurt to try it. But look at how god awful it was inside the power supply when i first took the cover off.

Comment

i would open the controller and see what the 5v is used for.
                                if it's just a few hundred mA for the controler and the leds are just 12v then just use a 12v psu and a buck convertor module

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                  if it's just a few hundred mA for the controler and the leds are just 12v then just use a 12v psu and a buck convertor module
                                  That's a good idea ... cheaper for a high wattage 12V PS than an ATX.

I tried it with the working PS and the Dell 375W PS but it only came on for a fraction of a second and that Dell went into shutdown mode. Too much for that wattage.

Its just crazy to me that these lights could actually need 1000 watts of power to operate.

Comment

Ive got a 120 to 40 volt transformer that was removed from a 5U Rack mount APC Ups unit ... I might have some high amp 12V buck converters and I know I have some 5 volt buck converters that might be good up to 5 amps ...

Just thinking of options to test that theory other than ripping that thing apart cause its a beast and I don't generally like taking things apart unless they're already broken as a general rule cause sometimes taking something apart is the beginning of the end.

I COULD test the 5 volt buck converter theory using a car battery ... that should handle the power requirements without any issue
                                    Last edited by EasyGoing1; 09-28-2022, 06:42 AM.

Comment

you could just fire up the original working psu with a dc clamp-meter on the 5v and then 12v rails to see what it draws

Comment

you could just fire up the original working psu with a dc clamp-meter on the 5v and then 12v rails to see what it draws
                                        You mean just connect it by itself with the ammeter on the 5 volt line?

Comment

yes, run it a see how much current is flowing
                                          and recap that psu starting with the output caps and the small stuff

Comment

Working...
                                          X