Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio rated caps - is it ok to use ‘audio’ rated caps on a non audio device

Hi
    Just a quick question - is it ok to use ‘audio' rated caps on a non audio device.
    Is there any reasons why they shouldn't be used?
    I'm just trying to find some good quality caps on ebay for a small repair and I've noticed there are alot of audo rated caps in the size i need but not so many non audio rated.
    If I can't find any Panasonic what would be any other good makes to consider?
    Thanks 🙂

Re: Audio rated caps

what are you fixing?

Comment

I'm repairing a faulty fuel pump relay with suspected failed caps like in this thread here
      https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...pic.php?t=9681
      Thanks

Comment

22uf 35v and 100uf 35v
        the thread you posted used the wrong caps - you need long life high temperature ones - not 2000hour 85' crap.

if your buying from RS then you may be able to get 125' caps - i'll check later

Comment

I've opened mine up and took photos
          KME on the 22uf
          The silver one 100uf 16v is not like anything I've seen before so it looks like something a bit special - it has a black line down one side, is that the neg?
          Thanks for your help 🙂
          Attached Files

Comment

Re: Audio rated caps - is it ok to use ‘audio' rated caps on a non audio device

black line is negative,
            i think thats a philips cap

Comment

"Audio" caps are a rip off, 85°C rated and short life in the 1,000hr league. But they have silk inside lol.

OP it's for automotive use, under the hood? Get AEC-Q100 etc. certified parts and consider the 125°C rated if you live somewhere hot. Don't waste your time with mediocre parts. Polymers would be great here - unless the caps are timing something and the 22uF part looks like that so you need low leakage.
              The webpage the guy used Radio Shack/Xicon only reated to 85°C 2,000hr parts and guess whose going to have to replace them again. Under the hood is very hard on parts.

Comment

I found this cap on rs components - i know its the wrong rating but do you think it could be the same series as my silver 16v 100uf ?
                It certainly has the same type of writing on it .
                Attached Files

Comment

Looks exactly like this
                  https://www.ebay.com/itm/153325799473

Need to find some in uk now 😒

Comment

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/alumi...citors/7472017

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/alumi...citors/7258975

Comment

Originally posted by Phil289 View Post
                      Looks exactly like this
                      https://www.ebay.com/itm/153325799473

Need to find some in uk now 😒
                      those are 16v - and why buy more junk - use long life parts

Comment

Thats great thanks - at least i got something to go on now🙂
                        Just need to make sure theres enough room size wise for them to physically fit.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                          those are 16v - and why buy more junk - use long life parts
                          I hadn't realised they were quite low spec - i just worked on the assumption that they had been working for 20 years and so another 20 would be just great 😊
                          Its hard to know exactly whats good and what's not as there's so many different makes and series it gets quite confusing - plus with all the fakes about its all a bit of a gamble if your limited to where you can buy from.
                          Would be nice to just walk in somewhere a buy over the counter but there's nothing local to be able to do that.
                          Thanks for the help I really appreciate it 👍

Comment

midlands - check RS, they have a number of counters.
                            also check farnell/cpc

Comment

just get an account then its free delivery and next day

Comment

no it's not, free delivery needs a minimum order of £30

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                  no it's not, free delivery needs a minimum order of £30
                                  you need to be logged in ..it did it on me once .i forgot to log in

Comment

it's in the terms and conditions.
                                    i'm always logged in.

to get free delivery on small orders you need a business account - which is a different thing and you need to be a company

Comment

Working...
                                    X