Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MBP 16" A2141 - Cannot install OS

Hi everyone.

I received a MBP 16" (board 820-01700) that can't install the OS.
    The customer says that it started getting slower and received an error in the notification center: Volume Hash Mismatch. He tried to erase the disk and reinstall the OS via internet recovery. Unfortunately he did not disable the startup protection prior to deleting the drive (needs an admin account on the disk to do so) so I cannot boot from external sources. The error occurs when the installation is almost complete and it says: An error occured loading the update. The board is in pristine condition, I checked it multiple times. I've never seen this issue before... I tried:

- installing Monterey via CMD+ALT+R, installing Catalina via Shift+CMD+ALT+R;
    - disconnecting all the unnecesary parts from the motherboard before attempting another install (including display);
    - restored the T2 chip via Apple Configurator;
    - I put the computer into Target Disk Mode and copied on the SSD a fresh install of Monterey that boots on another computers -> forbidden sign;

What I did not try because I don't have the part on hand: trying with a KGB topcase or KGB Touch Bar. On other Macs from the same generation, if the touchbar is not working, you will get a "required update" so I'm torn about this. The only solution that comes to mind is just replacing the logic board because I don't know where to start repairing this one but that's expensive and harder to source.

I hope someone else encountered this issue and found a fix. Thanks for reading my post.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mircea_mihai_94; 07-12-2022, 10:27 AM.

Re: MBP 16" A2141 - Cannot install OS

replace ssd chips

Comment

Re: MBP 16" A2141 - Cannot install OS

I have this exact same issue with the same board at the moment.

I know this sounds crazy, but the fix is to change the DNS server in the DHCP scope that the machine is getting its DHCP lease from. The DNS server I used is 1.1.1.1

When you change the DNS, the installation will continue as normal. At least it did for me, but there is definately something about this error that points to a timing issue with the networki/wifi side of things.

Let me know if this helps you out, as it would be good to know if this is in fact the cause of this sort of weirdness.

Comment

Working...
      X