X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
    as this is a brand new forum, i thought i'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. Now hey.. Let's not get too personal.. Ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. Even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So i'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and i'm a forum junkie. :oops: i've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times i've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. Especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But i love to share the info and knowledge i have, so that's why i'm here, to share and learn.

My formal education is that of an electronic engineer and i held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. That job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
    So needless to say (but i will) i've always tinkered with things.. Yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. Hacking fixes in whatever i find that breaks.. (except for cars, i have friends for that) i got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg hd,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. Man was i cool back then.. :roll: Nevermind..

So these days, i'm forced to be a software guy as well.. As i fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling os's.. Yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: So as a result, i keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. And trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

Now i found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
    where i've been hanging out lately.. It's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. Mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and i recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. And i said \"w00t.. They have a forum\"..

And so now.. You're stuck with me :p

so what's your story ? Come on.. Give it up..
    stil trying to figure out how this work pls someone help me am new here

Comment

Hello I love tech, always have. I'm here to see if I can find an answer to an issue. If not I will probably make a post. Don't want to buy a new TV if the retailer won't fix it and i could fix it for less than the price of another. Anyway. Hello.

Comment

Hello, i have a p2770hd samsung monitor having problems. It powers on and shows the input for a few seconds in the top left of the screen then goes black. Tried using a flashlight, but can't see the menu or anything. Thinking the bn44-00322a part may be bad. Looks a little dark in the middle.

took some pick so the boards, caps look ok.
        Attached Files

Comment

New to the board. I've been interested in electronics since the mid 80's, with an IBM PCjr. I'm mostly a hobbyist who builds guitar stompboxes and repairs household items.

Comment

Originally posted by astroice View Post
            Hello, i have a p2770hd samsung monitor having problems. It powers on and shows the input for a few seconds in the top left of the screen then goes black. Tried using a flashlight, but can't see the menu or anything. Thinking the bn44-00322a part may be bad. Looks a little dark in the middle.

took some pick so the boards, caps look ok.
            It's great you took photos but this is not the thread to post them and ask questions, it's for introductions only.

Please post about your monitor in the troubleshooting computer displays board
            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
            -David VanHorn

Comment

hi to all,
              really want to learn how to repair motherboards
              and i think this site is the perfect place to start
              anyways please be patient with me

Comment

Hello to all !
                My pleasure is to be on this forum.
                I have problem with Samsung 2243SW monitor.
                The button on the monitor turns blue (normal) and stays on but the screen goes black.
                The monitor does this on all computers.

Comment

Hi All,

Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. I am born in Netherlands but now live in Melbourne Australia. I started work after leaving school in the mid 80's in a electronic business equipment company. Not much electronic board repair happens anymore these days, but I still enjoy Bringing things back to life instead of throwing it in the rubbish. Anyways, look forward to learning from everyone's experiences. Cheers

Comment

Hi
                    A quick hello, and big thank you for this excellent resource
                    I have several Samsung 244t monitors that I'm sure will develop their trademark cap failure and need repair- I look forward to being a member of the forum to improve my knowledge and understanding but fully expect to contribute in turn for the benefit of other members.

Best wishes

Comment

greetings, everyone.
                      First, what an awesome site! I found it about a week ago, when I was looking for information on an LG 50" plasma that I was given. Just reading, and reading, and reading, the threads lead me to enough information to pretty certainly isolate the problem, though I have not sourced the necessary board as of yet.
                      About me: I am currently a clinical psychologist, though this is my 3rd career. My first career was as an electronics tech - mostly board swapping variety. I have no formal training in electronics, but I am one of those who likes to fix or build anything, and always have. I can't stand paying people large sums of money for what looked to me like relatively simple tasks. Thus, while I have good skills in a broad variety of areas, I have very little expertise in most. Thus, forums like this provide the bridge between my general technical and troubleshooting skills and the REAL expertise required to accomplish things. For tv repair, this is by far the best site I've found. Some of the folks here are pretty amazing in their skill set and knowledge!!
                      Anyway, this is my into post. Thanks for being here.
                      Mark

Comment

Well hello!

I am a guy from the upper North of Sweden, we have just broke the snow record from 1966 with a staggering 120cm of snow covering my beautiful city, and it is still snowing. So I thought, hey, I should try to fix my broken TV! So I came here and searched high and low for answers to what might be the problem and I can proudly say I've come half the way Though I do feel I need further assistance for the second half, so you will soon see my thread regarding earlier mentioned half.

Wish me luck!

Comment

Hi, I am from the UK and joined the forum because I came across it whilst searching for a fix for my Samsung TV, I can't seem to edit my profile or start a thread.

Comment

New to this forum; not new to electronics..

Hi All,

I'm a USN (ret) Electronics Tech. I like to buy broken Bose Wave Radios on ebay and fix them for resell. I've worked on the majority of electronics over the years from appliances to pc's to tv's and beyond. I enjoy it. I live in the North Florida area and am enjoying retirement immensely. At my age, I don't do SMD work; I upgraded my HAM license to extra class about 3 years ago (KF4FDO) - mainly for emergency purposes (hurricanes). Anyway, this looks like a very nice tech savvy forum to belong to. Don in Sunny Florida

Comment

Hello I am am a Veterinarian by day and an amateur tinkerer by night. I like the challenge of trying to fix old electronics that other people assume are broken beyond reasonable repair. I have an Insignia NS-LCD26A as my current project and was able to bring a westinghouse 47 inch lcd back from the dead after a failed firmware update. I have minimal skills with electrical engineering but always love to learn!

Comment

I have loved electronics since I was a kid. First took apart a stereo in the early 80's just to see what made it tick and have been hooked ever since. My main field of work for the past 25+ years is computers. It's a love/hate relationship! Fixed a Samsung dryer the other day. Not as hard as I thought it would be. Now on to a plasma someone just gave to me. Which reminds me why I signed up to this site!
                                Hey, you know computers... let me ask you something. I have this TV....

Comment

Hi I'm Ron from Blue Mountains NSW Australia.
                                  I'm 52 and want to add to my postage stamp size knowledge of electronics.
                                  I can switch on lights with the switch thingy on the wall.
                                  I can burn the heck out of a motherboard with a soldering iron.
                                  All in all I like to try and fix things people throw away if they work and are safe great, good learning experience, if not! Oh well off to the next project.
                                  Regards to all
                                  Ron

Comment

Hi My name is Brett. Nice to meet you all. I came here looking for advice on recovering my Samsung ATIV Smart PC. Have a nice day.

Cheers

Comment

A good Friday morning to all,

I am a former IT support tech that dealt mostly with remote "onboard" systems used primarily in the trucking industry for use as automotive performance monitoring systems to help ensure drivers "behave". A really bad way to "manage" people in my opinion. Well managed companies that build a true "esprit de corps" within its organisation have no need for such things.

In any event, I was more interested in "what's under the hood" (hardware), so I switched.

I am not fond of people that believe an ability to bias a transistor has them in-line for a Nobel prize. I don't think science/engineering has all that much to do with intelligence. It has more to do with patience and diligence which usually stems more from a "character type", but not always.

Thks.

Comment

Good morning. I came across the site while trying to figure out how to repair my tv that died. I really have no electronic experience other than what I've taught myself thru trial and error repairs.

Comment

Re: Introductions from KB5BS

Good Morning everyone,
                                          Its great to find this forum as I see it has great information in it. About myself, I have been a technician and electronic hobby's for 40+ years now. I am also a Amateur Extra class radio operator, hence the call sign as my user name. My real name is Bill Skipper. I claim San Antonio as Home since I did most my schooling there. I have been doing design and repairs for 30+ years. Also do software development in C, C++, Assembly, Cobal, Visual Basic, etc.... Close to retirement I work on appliances and all electronics for fun as long as I can see the circuits I will continue. Currently I am a Microwave Engineer designing microwave links in Texas and New Mexico. Have a great day!

Bill Skipper

Comment

Working...
                                          X