This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hey guys, kept seeing this forum come up on various searches for some time so decided to join. I'm a student in petroleum engineering with a degree in IT and a currently work as a tech in a large logistics facility. Love to repair and build everything from computers to vehicle engines. Hopefully this will be mutually beneficial.

Comment

Although I have a AA degree in electronics, I have not worked in the field for years but like to to repair things electronic or anything mechanical. I joined this forum to see if I could get assistance in getting our Panasonic Plasma 42 inch working. It is dated November 2008, Model#TH42PX80U. It has no picture or sound. When A/C is connected the relays click and the red led on lower right corner of “A” board goes on and after a few seconds relay again clicks and red led goes out. When front on/off button is depressed relays click and green leds on SS and SC boards go on, front screen slightly lightens and and front red led goes on. Front red led does not blink. Afterwords, about every 10 minutes the relays will clink with no change---no sound no picture. To stop clinking TV must be unplugged. I downloaded the service manual from http://www.toms-service-manuals.com/index.php. I checked the voltages and all appear good/within +.3-4v except as follows. Page 12 Power Supply Standby P12 pins 8&10, SS12 pins 8&10 and SS34 pins1&3 having 13.34v not 12v. Page 15 Power On Operation all voltages appear good. Page 17 Voltages Distribution A51 pin 2 is 4.1v not 5v. Any ideas?
      If I need to replace a board any ideas how to identify the board to get the correct replacement and any ideas where to go to get a replacement.

Comment

Hello anyone!!!
        Another electronic engineer who tries to make his life easier.
        All these electonics around us and as my job related I have just realized that I would prefer to make this job as a hobby rather as real job..
        So lets make some laptops!!!

Comment

Although I have a AA degree in electronics, I have not worked in the field for years but like to to repair things electronic or anything mechanical. I joined this forum to see what it is all about and if I could get assistance in getting our Panasonic Plasma 42 inch working. It is dated November 2008, Model#TH42PX80U. It has no picture or sound. When A/C is connected the relays click and the red led on lower right corner of “A” board goes on and after a few seconds relay again clicks and red led goes out. When front on/off button is depressed relays click and green leds on SS and SC boards go on, front screen slightly lightens and and front red led goes on. Front red led does not blink. Afterwords, about every 10 minutes the relays will clink with no change---no sound no picture. To stop clinking TV must be unplugged. I downloaded the service manual from http://www.toms-service-manuals.com/index.php. I checked the voltages and all appear good/within +.3-4v except as follows. Page 12 Power Supply Standby P12 pins 8&10, SS12 pins 8&10 and SS34 pins1&3 having 13.34v not 12v. Page 15 Power On Operation all voltages appear good. Page 17 Voltages Distribution A51 pin 2 is 4.1v not 5v. Any ideas?
          If I need to replace a board any ideas how to identify the board to get the correct replacement and any ideas where to go to get a replacement.

Comment

hi guys, long time reader finally decided to join since i'm here everyday anyway. no background in electronics other than I've been breaking things and taking them apart for the past 25 years. hopefully i can help out a little and get some help while i'm here

Comment

Hi BadCaps!
              Jay From Detroit MI. I build computers, software and other toys. Looking forward to some good TV advice.

Comment

Just wanted to say hello. Thanks for the helpful info. I'm trying to fix my Samsung plasma TV.

Comment

Hi, my name is Hylton. Previously technical training manager South Africa for Teljoy, Mastercare and Telefunken (well when Telefunken was still still Thompson/ German, now it's just Chinese). Yip so there I give my age away this year 2013 I will be 55. But not as bad as peterbytes starting message done in 2003. Well i sure this is going to be fun. Kind regards to everyone!!

Comment

Hi, I'm Cynthia from Detroit,MI, I love to work on things that need repairs but have never went to school for electric. With most things that I work on I seem to get lucky and they soon work again.

Comment

Just want to say "Hello Badcappers"

Comment

New to the forum! I recently started fixing a few tvs on the side, and I have a pretty decent success rate for being a self taught girl! Anyway, I joined to expand what knowledge I already have, & read up on troubleshooting techniques.

Comment

I'm 79 and still repairing TVs or trying. I graduated from United Electronics Labratoery (UEL) of Louisville Kentucky and live in Southeast Nebraska.

Comment

Hi All,

Just joined this site after googling for some info on how to repair a plasma TV that someone had discarded in the trash. So far found lots of good info on here. Great site.

Bob

Comment

Well, I am new here and already I have been able to use the forum to help getting started repairing a Vizio 42" LCD tv. I am a Computer Network Administrator for a small company in Northern California and as such I wind up being a jack of all trades and of course master of none. I Just cant stand it when something is broke and I know I can fix for a fraction of the cost of replacing it. like with this TV I am working on for an older couple in our community. I found a 1$ fuse on the main board bad that was preventing the TV from powering up and replaced it. now that the main board is powering up if I can just figure out why the backlights and the TV it self don't come on I think I can fix it for them and save them a lot of money they don't have.
                              Thanks for letting me join your community. If anyone has Computer hardware or software questions I might be a good source to help you figure out what is going on.

Comment

Hello all, I am mid 30s electronics engineer. Though I have moved on to the management side of the engineering world. I still build custom circuits for people for things from custom designs for cars to things for people to have fun with around the house. I enjoy building and repairing all kinds of electronics. Got my start as a radio repair technician in the USMC years ago. Hope to be able to share knowledge with you all and gain some at the same time.

Comment

Nice to find this resource. I have repaired 2 DVD players and 2 LCD monitors by replacing obviously bad capacitors.

Comment

Hi all, Just leaving a little intro as a first post to this site. I've been reading around for a while and i have seen many great forums. Thanks in advance or any help, and for all the great resources i've scoured from this site.

I'll start by saying i'm no beginner when it comes to repairing devices, i've been doing hardware mods for years. My soldering skills peak at soldering wires to a flat flex cable with .5mm spacing. Otherwise i've been fixing tv's, monitors, computers (hardware), And various other electronics. I've even built a robot or 2 in my time.

Thanks for reading and i look forward to conversing with you all. and of course i'll provide help where i can.

Comment

Hi everyone, Just another computer guy, studied in England, came back home in Africa (Tanzania) trying to push this IT thing to the next level I guess. Being in computer business with little knowledge in Electronics has been my downside leading to countless drawbacks.

While searching for solutions to many of Toshiba (Satellite) that I could not fix, I find myself on this site couple of months ago, And I have been addicted to it only the Rehab would save me.

I am more than glad to find lots of smart people especially in Electronics, all in just my finger tips. It has been my school and my learning centre so far.

Thanks.

Comment

Hello I am sunny my hobbies are trying to fixed broken electronic equipment

Comment

Hi! Thank you to all for the helpful posts. I am hoping to learn how to fix a broken Dell 2405fpw LCD screen I picked up. I am a graduate student in computer science who has a lot to learn about electronics tinkering!

Comment

Working...
                                          X