This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello. My name is Allen, and I found this place after my Hanns-G 28" monitor flaked out. I have a soldering station, and I know how to use it, so when a Google search turned up the fact that the majority of these failures are bad caps in the power supply I figured I should look into doing it myself, instead of waiting for the time delay to send it back to the manufacturer.

Comment

Hey been reading this forum for a while I do a lot of bad cap repairs. the newest ones i am doing right now are al1717 acer monitors i have about 500 or so in the field and eventually there are 9 capacitors that fail on the power supply board. There are more then 10 types of boards i have done repairs on a regular basis that i am hoping to do some guides on in the future. I found the forum when i was looking for recommendations on an ESR meter. Ordering the ESR-micro V4.0 thanks to the suggestions here on the forums.

Comment

HI everyone, I live in the UK. Basically I'm here because I need help as my Benq LCD is no longer working. Look forward to getting to know you all, having some fun and to improve my soldering & electronic skills.

Comment

Hello everyone! It took me while to locate the icon to leave a message in this thread so I'm hoping I'm left this message in the correct place. Obviously I'm not much of a forum poster as I am a forum reader always hoping my questions will be answered in old posts. What brings me here to this nice group of well educated and informative people is a growing interest in electronic repair challenges that I've taken on over the last 10 or so years. I always thought I was destined to be in some electronics related job since a child and started going to a tech school at night for electronics technology while I was still in highschool. I graduated early and was set to start fulltime day classes when I researched my likley job opportunities to find I was headed for a line job at GE if I stayed with it. So of course I dropped out and got an apprenticeship in a sheetmetal union. That was 30 years ago, now I'm a steel fab/welder and as a hobby I like to try and fix comp parts (boards moslty). Ive found that many people that tear apart their comps to upgrade the mobo's think that they must use an 18v Makita to run the screws that hold the boards in place, thusly cracking it. Others are rough on them and break things off or don't pay attention to how hot things are getting untill the tiny components unsolder themselves from the boards, This is where I take over. I've saved many boards by jumpering copper strips and replacing the tiniest caps ever imagined. I use a homeade mag lens out of my bigscreen (maybe a 8x or more). Numerous soldering irons and modified tips and alot of steady handed patience. What I don't have is a single service guide or a schematic! I'm guessing on almost every repair based on the surrounding chips to replace missing ones. This is how you all can help me, now I'm not dealing with missused pieces but rather no power up's. Much less of the board scanning and more to do with failure that isn't obvious. Sorry to leave a long post but if you ever have the chance to end up responding to my questions you'll know I'm not dealling with any info other than what I see posted. Oh yeah my name is Robert and I'm a 47yo man in Phoenix, AZ.

Comment

Hi All

Another newbie joining the ever expanding forum.
            I also came looking for answers about Bad caps and found them.
            I have been messing about with computers since my first Tandy (TR80) machine, but have always been interested in electronics.
            Since my career change, I have a little more spare time on my hands and have recently started experimenting, so in that sense I am just a hobbyist with a thirst for knowledge.
            Looking forward to asking the experts for some advice when things go wrong or bang!!

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Hello, thanks for the great website! I am just a DIY'er who likes to tinker- and doesn't have an ESR meter yet.

Comment

Hello, Found this site while trying to troubleshoot LCD hate to say it Sony Bravia…Looks like you guys have a pretty good forum, I have wasted numerous hours searching for help just to be redirected to useless web sites.

Comment

Hello, I am happy I have joined BADCAPS. I like computers and electronics. interested in the ESR capacitor meter plans and the likes. I try to troubleshoot bad capacitors in a crt tv set. wishing every one here at badcaps a very good day.
                  AvnBouh

Comment

Hello, I'm not much of a social butterfly but following the rules here.

My name is Rich, I'm a computer programmer by profession and an electronics /microcontroller programmer wannabe. My contract ended several months ago (meaning Im unemployed) and I'm fixing some friends computers for spare cash but I really don't know exactly what I'm doing when it comes to hardware diagnostics.

I've done some AVR micro programming, my most prized project is a home made breathalyzer that I've had much fun making and testing I used an AVR ATMega128 (If my memory is right).

Appreciate any help you guys can offer and hope I can contribute back.

Take care
                    Rich

Comment

Hi, I'm Neil

Love electronics, but mostly repair computers, with a little side of programming and graphics design. Also love cars (Drive a modified Stealth RT/TT, WRX STi, and 72 Datsun 240z). First PC was some Atari thing I can barely remember (I remember tapes), that was soon replaced by an awesome 8mhz 286. Followed instantly by a 386sx, then a co-processor, then a 486DLC, then a DX2 80, then a P60, then an AMD 5x86. After that I went straight to Pentium III, skipping PII's. Had a Mac here and there (Performa, and a G4). Now running a Q6600 hackintosh OS X, with occasional Windows 7 duties - on SSD's. What a blast!

TL;DR - I'm nerdy enough to fit in here right?

Have done light repairs on flash drives (switching flash chips to do data recovery), 8" RGB tube projectors, motherboards, video cards, and a couple desktop monitors. A lot of help from this board, but I never joined before, maybe I can give some feedback now that I know more.

Currently kicking my ass - Vizio VO42L 42" LCD. Hopefully I can repair it.

Comment

Worked in electronics for years, fish locators and GPS. Now I just fix things more or less for fun, it's still feels good to take something not working and get it working.
                        My name is Pepper, I live in Tulsa, Ok.

Comment

Hello!

name's Marco, from Italy. Despite decades of using computers I've never had the pleasure of having a cap die on me. So, many years after finding out about this site I finally signed up.

Thank you in advance

Comment

Hi to one and all.

Name is Darick and all my life I lived in Seattle Washington. I decided to become a member of Badcaps to learn and have fun. My first OS was Unix. My main hobby is programing in C++ and collecting UHF 2 way radios. I'm new to repairing display monitors and not much soldering experience. There has been times when I make problems worse. The knowledge that I have now is all self taught from reading books, experimenting, trial and error and accidents. I'm behind on a lot of projects.

Comment

Hello everyone on the Forum.

I would just like to say that I am in my mid 40s have not too long ago got into electronics thru a love for Ham radio repairing a 70's ventage Kenwood Hybrid Tranciever. And various other things. Now recentlly I have started repairing LCD monitors mostly bad caps on the SMPS of those monitors and got my confidence up and took on about 20 touch screen LCD monitors for a couple of friends that use a lot of monitors. Maybe byting off more than I can chew but are finding that most of the problems seem to be in the inverter board that is seperate from the SMPSs of thees monitors. I am not a repair business just a hobbyist that likes doing the repairs. The monitors are fun to work on but as I have discovered are very challenging at times. So I am just on this forum to learn and to share things that I have learned.

My repair equipment consists of a old Senior Voltohlmyst VTVOM, a Greenlee DM-810 VOM,a Tripplett VOM , a Cap Analyzer II, a Blue Ring Meter, a old Kikusui C6100M Scope, and a Weller soldering station. Hey has anyone had any experience with the Leek Seaker by the same company that makes the Cap Analyzer. I can not find any reveiws on the manchine and was just curious what others thought about it. It is supposed to find shorts and leaks within 1/2 inch of the bad component on the board.

My field of work is Security Systems for the past 13 years working for a localy owned business, installing and serviceing alarm systems and CCTV systems for business and resedential. I like my work but I am finding myself wishing I had pursued electronics much sooner in life and are trying to catch up. I am married and have one child in local college we are in Capefear Valley region of NC and have lived here since 73.

I have re-wrote this post becouse there was an issue with the first attempt telling me that since I had previouslly loged on to go back and reload page. Then I lost my first posting which was rather long and had more info about me. So sorry. Maybe the Moderators could find it and re-post it if it is not lost for good.

But thanks for takeing the time to read. I look forward to this forum.

Tripp.

Comment

Hi All,

I'm a long time software guy in the semiconductor industry. I've built and repaired some electronics in my time and hate to see good hardware go to waste.

Mike

Comment

Hi everyone,

My name is Kristijan, I work in IT service. I ran into this forum, trying to find a way to bypass the protection of the BIT3105.

Comment

Hello. Newbie here. Veterinary surgeon by training but enjoy fixing all kinds of things including cars, tractors, electronics, electro-mechanical etc. Hope to learn alot from this site.

Comment

Hello all. new to this sort of electronic work. work in a local video game retail store and have been soldering simple laser installs. looking forward to utilizing ur information on replacing caps on this monitor's power supply

Comment

Hello hello, another croatian guy here Rummaged through a few threads here, trying to find my problem, realised that noone had a similar one to mine, decided to register and post my thread in hopes someone is able to help me

Cheers

Comment

my username is pcpsu im new here, and wish to learn everything about psus

Comment

Working...
                                          X