• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello

Comment

Hello world!
      I'm glad to have found this e-place. The amount of knowledge here is insane. Im looking forward to boost this hobby of mine. And to quench my thirst for learning. Great site this is. Keep it up!

Comment

Well I am new to this forum, ran across while troubleshoot a new and difficult monitor issue, I have been tinkering with electronics since I was little, and then moved onto computers about 15 yrs ago, and right now I am fixing monitors as full time as I can. I build gates and fences (wrought iron) as full time as possible also. The economy doesn't let me do either one regularly though.

I am in my 30's and live in NM currently, married with 3 children, 2 alive still.

Comment

Greetings to everyone at Badcaps including Topcat the owner.

Badcaps is by far one of the best forum sites out there, and I just have to comment on the homepage banner and the forum banner....they both look very nice! Due to my hobbies, I decided to become a member of Badcaps in which I delite in greatly. I plan on making my stay fun and fulfilling as well as a learning experience. I have very little soldering experience not really professional at all, still practicing though. Always experimenting with the little things and all things between. Just started opening monitors not to long ago (put it off for a year then came back) and my very first attempt with the screen part was overwhelming. I shoot through the hoops. My time is not just spent doing the things I mentioned above but at a software level where I have fun programming with several languages (never a limit of what is possible), although I find it quite difficult to program with one language particularly assembly but more possibilities to discover right. A lot of languages that I have not tried. Always wanted to use Troff to program with, have not got the chance to do it. Most of my electronics experience comes from repairing RC buggies and RC monster trucks. I would buy separate components to build a electric (not gas powered) whole custom buggy and spend a lot of time testing it in the mornings in the dirt and road by changing the tires. I got into RC buggies before I got into the wole computer tree which was roughly year(s)x ago. I was a huge fan of electric buggies. One more thing I used to do is create TV static noise on purpose with certain external close by transmitters and certain powerful magnets. Every once in a while I would buy a cheap thrift digital television set. Anyway, so overall the reason I joined is crystal clear, I enjoy repairing all kinds of junk, always have and always will be. Time is a bizarre river.
          they call, they telnet, I hangup, I laugh, I get hiccups and digital breakups.

Comment

howdy hello!

Well not sure where to start here, I'm 26, I live in the Atlantic region of Canada, I'm a fixer, cars, furniture, clothing, appliances, the list goes on, but I've been messing with electronics since childhood, home made r/c cars and exploring the innards of broken game systems ect, over the years I've worked my way up to tv's, I attempted to rebuild a Vintage stereo system recently, which didn't work out due to money issues. Currently I'm stuck on an LG 22" with power on issues(stuck for the same reason lol), but thats for another thread. Generally I'm an Electro-Junkie, if it's broken I will "try" to fix it. which leads me here, and I've noticed such is the pattern in most of the replies to this thread! so I guess I'll be around :-P!

Comment

Hello from Finland where sun sets around 3pm at this time of the year and -10C is hot day outside...

Comment

Great site! Found it while looking for ideas about why my vx2235wm is cold-shouldering me....applied the ideas about replacing the caps. LCD is better but now fades to white after a few seconds of valid imagery.

I have been in the high-tech field since about 1981 starting out as a Production Test Tech for a military contractor, a lot of exciting and interesting things including silicon chip layout over the years, and am currently Software Validation Engineer for a local high visibility company. My passion is still hardware/firmware utilizing ucontrollers, servos, fpga, et al; it is very easy to spend huge amounts of time researching, designing, and fabbing ideas when time, money, and energy allows!

Comment

Hi, this site is very useful to me.

Comment

Hi, people. I have a good feeling about finding your site. History-wise, a friend gave me Radio ShackTandyTRS80 (remember trash-80?) back in the 80's. All I could do was the GIGO stuff. Since then, I've become a heating cooling guy, (boards in all that now-a days, too) and just a DIYer on my own. Going too need all the help I can get.
                    Living in Sk, Canada, (read, COLD)
                    Thanks

Comment

I am trying to find a capacitor for a flash strobe.. I was hoping that someome in this community may be of help

Comment

Hey from Florida !

I like reading the forum so I joined.

I think finding bad caps and fixing stuff is cool.

Thanks, Steve

Comment

I guess I should post at least an intro...
                          I've been working with computers ever since the late 60's (IBM 1100 in high school) and purchased one of the first all-in-one kits in the late 70's: Processor Technology SOL20. Hacked the uP replacing the 8080 with a Z80. Went on to all types of hardware hacking with anything electronic or mechanical and earned the title of Mr Fixit where I worked.
                          I have a collection of handheld devices from the last 15 years and probably a mix of 30 or so PCs & Macs - my "toys".
                          I came across this site by accident but it looks to have lots of good info - and I may even contribute some myself as I've done on other techy sites.

Cheers All

Comment

Hi all, I come from Australia.

The info on this site has allowed me to restore life to a dying FX5200 card and my dead satellite receiver by changing the caps. I would never have thought about looking at the caps if it wasn't for this forum.

Thank you forum members

Comment

Hopefully this fixes my good old card. Happy to be a part of the geekery! I'm looking forward to other contact.

Robert - Utah

Comment

Hello from the Netherlands, I repair computers, notebooks and other related devices. I like this forum, it is a good source for information and sharing questions and dificulties with repairs.
                                See you later....

Comment

Hi All,
                                  and hello from Melbourne Australia.
                                  Cool site, just looking for some help with my monitor power supply. Too good to throw out and why get someone else to fix things when you can learn something new yourself.
                                  Jack

Comment

Hello all!

Electrical engineer for 35 years. Built first 6502 computer as an S-100 KIM-1 with hand-wired 32kB DRAM, 320x200 bit mapped video, etc. Sold it to buy an Apple ][+ with 16k; moved the above DRAM to it to get 48k. How things have changed!

More recently my Toshiba M35X Satellite laptop died. Got the schematics, found the dead FET in the CPU switching supply and replaced it - and it now works fine. Boosted 100MHz CPU clock input to 133MHz to replace Celeron 1.3GHz with Dothan 1.6GHz but instability made me restore original configuration.

Here at work the myriad displays sometimes fail. I've got a ViewSonic VP201b and VP2030b that I'd like to get working so I can use them at home. Wish me luck!

Jim Horn, Columbia River Gorge, Washington, USA Amateur Call WB9SYN

Comment

hello

Comment

Hello from Colorado!

I've been into electronics ever since I was a little kid. I've worked with electronics for years and have also taken some electrical engineering courses. I also study electronics topics as a hobby. After having numerous run-ins with bad capacitors, I figured I'd join this site and share my experience as well as learning from you all.

- Adam

Comment

Hi from Toronto, Canada.

I've used a lot of information on the forum already and have fixed some monitors that have long been sitting dusty and forgotten. Looking to further my knowledge and hopefully add to the discussion!

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                          X