This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

I'm really less than a novice on this sort of thing, but trying to education myself. Not sure yet if it's exactly what I'm looking for but appears to be plenty of good info to get me started. So worse case scenario I learn something new.
    Lake Michigan Cottage Rentals
    Lake Michigan Vacation Rentals
    Michigan Mobile Homes

Comment

I'm less than a novice too i'm afraid. Been using and building pc's since the late 80's, but never done much on component level. But who knows - it might just change ....

Comment

Hi,
        Greeting from indonesia.
        Looking for some info about switchmode PSU...and here i am...

Comment

hi all just joined im 38 from louisiana. found the site while searching for caps
          i'm a spark chaser. thanks

Comment

Hey all,

New member. Found you by accident. Hope to learn and help out if I can.

Mitch

Comment

Hey, greetings from Lithuania,
              really great and helpful site

Comment

Howdy all...I am a retired millwright, toolmaker, and jack of all trades. I live in western Mass. and have had experience with computers as a hobby since Comadore 64's. Lately my brain seeks expansion, so I have been delving into fixing curcuit boards in dvd players and LCD monitors never realizing some of this stuff is so simple...

Comment

Good Day!

I'm a computer technician for a school district in Missouri, and the unfortunate custodian of about 50+ GX620s, along with various other makes and models of computers.

I found this site one frustrated morning after 6 more GX620s decided to leave this mortal coil, and decided I wasn't going to search for replacement machines in the district any longer: I was going to learn the art of recapping and save myself a lot of time in the future.

I am a complete "noob" when it comes to soldering and recapping, but I'm willing to learn.

Worse comes to worse: I can't make these GX620s any worse than they were before!

Comment

Hi all,
                    I've been an electronic tinkerer for some time now, and your forum has some really valuable info. I really appreciate the time people spend posting their experiences, so we can learn from them. Glad to be aboard!

Comment

Hiya,

My name is Kevin. I live in Corvallis OR. I enjoy my friends with simple electronic repairs. I grew up with a father that could fix almost anything electronic. Honeywell field engineer covering most of New England. Brief case of tools and a scope in the truck of his Fiat Spider.

I should have paid more attention to his ramblings as a kid. Thank you for existing!!!

Comment

Hi everyone,

My name is Krystie and was formally degreed as an electronics engineering technologist at a midwestern USA university. Between not being taken seriously smart as a woman and the enormous USA job losses in electronic engineering jobs, my employment history has been spotty. I started as an electronic device troubleshooter and back shop search and repair tech for a small contractor to American Airlines repair facility. I think I learned more from that job in practical knowledge than all of college.

Enough for now? Has that broken the ice?

Comment

Upon searching for guide/howto/manual on fixing my acer al1714 and chimei lcd, i stumbled upon this SUPERB site... omg... what a wonderful source of knowledge hidden here!!

Here i am from .my post my first post here and bow upon the treasure on badcaps.net!!
                          Salute!
                          [There is only one good, which is knowledge,
                          and one evil, which is ignorance]

Comment

hello, i am new

Comment

Hi all,

Name is Steve Davies, don't worry, I have heard all the snooker jokes!
                              I found Badcaps by accident while trying to find info on a samsung 42 inch plasma with lines vertically on the right of the picture. Think after all the panel itself is a gonner.
                              About me. Currently 47, had electronics as a hobby as long as I can remember back to finding a valve radio and an 18" black and white tv in a skip and repairing them at the age of 9! Only kid in the street with tv and radio in the bedroom. Spent 8 years in the Navy from 1981. This took me to the Falklands and the Gulf twice. Did not expect that, wanted training in electronics! From there I started a tv shop with a friend and did really well fixing junk from the tip and selling as refurbished to willing punters in Watford UK. Missed the computer and mobile phone booms like an idiot, but that's life! Business has gone since cheap imports, so moved to Spain 3 years ago to live in the sun. Not doing bad at that now recapping motherboards and repairing PC's, O/S's etc for Spanish and English alike. Also found work doing component level repairs to computer products and everything else for a local Spanish computer music company. I repair those infamous Antec AR300 power supplies out of the Aria cube case. Nothing else fits and I have repaired over 100 so far. I will post a full repair procedure on them shortly.

Well that is me up to date, missed out loads, maybe post some more later, thanks for reading! Best decision I ever made to come to Spain, I would recommend to anyone living in the center of Andalucia north of Granada.

Good luck to all on the forum and look forward to more knowledge.

Cheers from Steve (Marstee)

Comment

Hi, am an electronics/computer engineer and works on all ICT equipment. I found this forum when searching on how to fix the Dell 620 and also hopes that I will get more help on other models. I also look forward into contributing and assisting members when I am in a position.

I will start off with a query and hope this is in order.I have several Dell GX 280 desktop motherboards with the loud CPU cooling fan (increasing speed), amber light and no display. I had replaced the big caps on one of the boards and it did not work. the caps I removed however works on a Dell SX 270.

Please help fix the GX 280.

Regards

Comment

Hello all, and firstly what an awesome site with very knowlegeable people here.

Living in Spain (expat UK) started as an apprentice in TV and Radio with Rushworth & Draper in Liverpool - my hometown. Never completed college and only really learned to re solder dry joints and bounce PL504s and DY88s to make work again LOL. Got loads of electric shocks from Rigonda radiograms and Dynatron systems too. I now remember why I made Mechanics my career in life. Now aged 54 and still keep one hand in my pocket in case of live chassis rails.

A few years ago my LCD broke and it was so easy to fix by changing a panel or 2 but I now realise that I was sooooo lucky as I now need to repair to component level as parts are just not easy to obtain here in Spain.

I look forward to learning a lot as I have a lot to learn!!.

Regards and thanks in advance, Richard.

Comment

Hi, I'm just a compulsive tinkerer from the mid-western US and can't believe I haven't found this forum before.

I've recapped a couple of ECU's out of cars but never tried with multi-layer PCB. Getting ready to give that a shot on PC mainboard, and found this site.

Comment

Hi Guys,
                                      I found this site when i was searching for capacitors to replace the bad ones for my lcd flat screen tv and i kind a like the posts. This will be my first real recapping job, though i have done soldering jobs before. Wish me luck.

Comment

Hi my name is Michael.
                                        I recently started in a graduate program at a eastern US university. My research field is capacitor failure analysis and failure detection in general. I just randomly found this forum and was curious.
                                        Maybe I`ll get some ideas for my research here or might be able to help you with some insight since we probably have more opportunities in our institution to examine caps than you do
                                        I have no experience in recapping though, but I think its quite interesting.

Comment

Hello, my name is Craig.
                                          I was originally a mechanic for 10 years and due an injury was retrained in electronics. I found this forum looking for information. After reading a few posts I realized this is one of the better "help" sites. I decided to join immediately and look forward to using and contributing to the forums.

Comment

Working...
                                          X