X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

welcome!

we are infomation rich... we may be smaller thana lot of the forums but generally we have less noobery answers. very few questions go unanswered around here... so if you need to know something, post the question in a new thread and watch the answers come in!
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Hi, my name is Shawn and I was an ET in the Navy for 6 years. I got a job with a contractor when I got out and have been installing and troubleshooting Navy comm systems and computer networks for the last 15 years or so.

Comment

Hello Everybody,
        I am an electronics engineer working in the semiconductor industry and repair electronics for a hobby, since my daytime job is usually more simulation and longterm projects, with little immidiate feedback on my work.
        I found links to this forum regarding the repair of Plasma driver Hybrids.

Comment

First post. Checking in. Party on!

Comment

Hi,

I'm Steve. I found this forum while searching replacement circuits for a Hanns-G HG281D 28" monitor.

It looks as though this is the place I need to be to figure out how to repair this dern thing! So thanks for the public service, and thanks in advance for the help!

Steve

Comment

Hello everybody.
              My name is Eryk. I'm from Poland.

I love to open things just to see what's inside and how it works (before I had problems with putting them back in working order, but currently it doesn't seem to be much problem - usually ). I have quite high experience in PC service, I also worked in PC shop. I'm a self-educated electronics repairman, yet my skills are still very small (however I know how to use soldering gun and I'm practising, so they constantly improves ). Confusion with capacitor brands has led me to this wonderful forum, which I find very educating.

Greetings,
              Eryk

Comment

Hello to all the guys involved in the repairs...
                gabriel

Comment

I guess I should briefly introduce myself, since I'm new on this forum.
                  During 35 years, I've been a scientist involved in physical methods of material charaterization. I was working in a French research instute.
                  I'm retired now, and I've decided to stop completely to be involved in that field. But I need to do something else than gardening at home or tanning on the beach during my free time, and I've found that it was exciting to try to repair LCD flat panels, and as much as I'm not an electronician.
                  I began this hobby approx one year ago, and I was able to fix ~90% of the 35defective LCD monitors I've got during that period.
                  I hope that participating to this forum will enable me to increase my knowledge and my understanding of these systems, and will give me the opportunity to transmit part of my experience to others.
                  Last edited by pooloo; 12-20-2010, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Hi all - this is my simple post. Not much to say about me, other than I luve to design, build & repair electrical and electronic stuff!

Comment

Stumbled onto this forum while looking for information on troubleshooting some flatscreen monitors.

I was with the University of Phoenix for over 9 years as a webmaster but was recently laid off along with 900 other of my coworkers.

Now that I find myself broke with lots of free time I'm developing more DIY skills. I needed a computer monitor and my brother in law gave me two 19" Flat screens that were not working so I could see what I can do with them.

After reading through what I found here I popped apart the Envision en9410e and it looks indeed like I've got a leaking capacitor. I'm going to order some replacement parts and see how well I can solder. I've soldered civil war reproduction tinware and did some soldering on alternators back in the 80s while working in my dad's automotive electrical shop. How much trickier can circuit boards be? ;-) I did do computer assembly for Micron Electronics back in the early 90s so at least know what some of this stuff looks like.

Comment

Hi I'm Jesse mid 20's. live in a little town in kansas not a whole lot going on around here. Found this forum while looking to fix a tv i picked up. Ive fixed two tv's and a few monitors. kinda been buying up lcd's that I think I can fix. Nothing more then a hobby really but I enjoy it. Most of the stuff I learned has been over the internet and alot of youtube so yeah, thats me.

Comment

Hi everybody, I've been a computer technician for 46 years and am now retired. I retired from the large company I worked for after 33 1/2 years where I installed and serviced and repaired large computer systems and all their peripherals. I then worked as a contractor for a company which sold, serviced and repaired workstations, servers and printers at a large call center. I finally retired for good about 3 1/2 years ago and now just repair friends, neighbors and relatives computers which still keeps me a little busy.

Lately I have been seeing a lot of bad caps on some neighbors and friends machines and even a couple of older motherboards that I have, and I have replaced them for them but I have found the prices for caps at local suppliers are a little high and the selections at Fry's Electronics aren't that great and also expensive. So after looking at the selection and prices here I will be ordering lots of caps and re-capping a couple of my own motherboards and monitor power supplies. I'm glad I found this site and it seems like a great site with lots of info on it and a good place to buy capacitors.

Comment

Hi All

My name is Keith and I am a retired A/V engineer. I am 68 and have worked since 1959 in the electronic industry. I followed an 5 year apprenticeship with Thorn-AEI in the UK. I joined Thorn Consumer Electronics in their colour TV development laboratory and in time became a senior engineer in component approval department approving components for TV and audio. I joined the UK sistributor for Rubycon Corporation in 1980 and transfered to the UK office of Rubycon in 1990 as technical liason between our customers and the engineering department. I was retired at 60 (2002) at about the time of the electrolyte problem and joined Harman Consumer UK in their UK service and troubleshooting department. In 2005 moved to servicing electronic equipment for local authority. I currently service power supplies for personal video recorders (PVR) and LCD TV which in the in the UK seem totally unreliable.

Keith

You will notice that I have been a member for a long time but due to brain fade forgot to post

Comment

Just thought I'd stop by and say what a great resource you guys are. Not much experience fixing things, but I've had a habit (bad?) of taking things apart just for the fun of it. The problem is putting it back together.

Comment

Thanks to all who have made this site very useful. I am a "amatuer" electron chaser. I work as a computer server support tech and programmer, but my heart is with this stuff.

Looking forward to learning more with everyone here and hope to contribute from time to time.

Comment

Hi Everyone - I just discovered this site and found some great information. Thanks to everyone for putting this together!

Comment

Hi. I am a new member to the site , but have been here several times. I was an aircraft electrician in the Navy for 10 years and a technician in the Army Guard for 10 years. Have fixed alot of electronics, but never worked on computer motherboards before. I have repaired lots of computers, but want to repair motherboards. This looks to be a good site with the info on removing caps from 6 layer boards. Thanks for the great info on here and I will contribute when I can.

Comment

Good morning, good afternoon, good evening. How difficult to tell what time it is when you work in a room with no windows.

Wow. This is awesome! I had an lcd monitor my stepson snagged at his work. He managed to misplace the parts layout we drew indicating which caps went where on the board. I've had this for almost a year, checking from time to time on the web for info for this monitor. Today I found that info right here. w00t!

I'm Dan. I like to think of myself as a hardware hacker, but I'm really just a hack. Been playing with computers since 1981 (Sinclair zx81) and electronics since I could hold a soldering iron without dropping it.

Thank you for all the cool information. And cya l8r.

<lurk=on>

Comment

Howdy everyone!

I've read BadCaps for a long, long time and now just decided to join. Yeah, I know, shame on me.

I really didn't think I would need any assistance as my Google Foo and knowledge is pretty good (IMO) and I've been working in the computer repair / upgrading / networking field for well over 20 years. Hey, everyone gets to be wrong once, right? Ok, ok, ok...several times but who is counting?!?

My first computer was a Timex Sinclair with a printer. After learning about how it was made (yes, I took it apart and put it back together - no spare parts and it worked!) I learned how to do simple programming on it. First program I made was of an ASCII representation of the Star Trek Enterprise. Haven't done hardly any programming since then as I've been too busy with getting into computer hardware workings.

Anyways, I'm here now and hoping to maybe learn a thing or two or just give help where it is needed.

See you all in the forums!

Steve

Comment

Hello, all!

I've been replacing caps for years and just stumbled on badcaps.net a few weeks ago. And now I'm a member!

Although my official training was in software, I've been "playing" with electronics since the early transistor days and even dabbled in vacuum tube. No bad caps then, just bad tubes!

I'll post about caps as I get the opportunity to examine recycled devices. I dumpster dive and visit the recycling depot of my town, so i do get access to items that previous owners found unusable.

JesseKnows

Comment

Working...
                                          X