X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi. My first post here...
    Some day before I was searching for some technical documentation and found this site. After that, I spend some good time reading around and decided to join you.
    My name is Constantin. My first build "computer" was early in the 1990 a clone of the Spektrum Sinclair. Still have-it somewhere... After that, the IBM big Tower with the tremendous 286. And the wheel is still turning today. Some of those comp's are still in my house, I remember to have somewhere a Vectra 386 + the famous 387. Maybe I will take a look to see how are today the capacitors in this piece of art of the past times...

See you all!

Constantin

Comment

High: This is Eric. I found your site a year ago when looking up bad caps for my westinghouse 20.1 inch LCD monitors. I fortunately found out enough from here and other sites about these capacitor issues and am back looking up caps for my MSI and ASUS motherboards along with rebuilding my power supplies that feed them.

Comment

Hi all, I'm Rabiator (obviously a pseudonym) and I found this forum looking for a hint how to fix two screens for a friend.
        One of those actually has bulging caps, so there is a good chance recapping will help. I'll post more about it once I changed the caps and know the outcome.

And btw:
        HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE

Comment

Hi everyone,my name is Tony I live in Trumbull CT.I was looking for info on fixing my LCD when I found this forum ,I'm glad because there is tons of good information in this site. Being new here I just wanna say hello to everybody. Thanks.

Comment

Hi all! This is john doing btech from IIT Mumbai.
            I love posting in forums and reading cool stuffs.

Comment

Well, I guess I would be classed as an electronic hobbyist. I have no electronic training, and really feel my mechanical skills better than electronics. I have built simple kits and even etched boards but did no real design. I understand the simple theory of DC circuits and even the use of opamps. I have been forced to learn some simple (I avoid Smith plots like the plague) RF amplifiers because I have spent over 18 years working on cyclotrons (plus 13 working on Van de Graaffs).

My true hobby is riding my GoldWing and seeing this beautiful country more.

I found this site and forum while researching the failure of my wife's Dell SX260 to power up. After opening it, I discovered over half of the 2200 uF 6.3 V cap tops puffed. I have ordered the repair kit. I'd rather bend wrenches than solder - but can do it if forced and have a very nice solder station with pump available at work. Very disappointed to learn of this failure as I have never before experienced such wide-spread capacitor failures. I have seen reverse-polarity installed Ta caps smoke (found on a brand new component I had purchased for machine control) and over-voltaged caps explode (exciting!), but age-related failures were due to decades of hard use - not 3 or 4 years. I hope the repair kit has better caps in it than Dell's board-stuffer used.

Comment

hello

Comment

well i am gremlin96, fromal training as a industral manintance tech. that means i have a lot of schooling in working with robots. I have done every thing from board swaping to componit repair. been playing around with electronics since my first soldering iron at 8 years old. found dumpster diving for electronics to play with fun and exciting. you would be shocked at the simple fixes every one will toss out.

Comment

Welcome everybody!!!
                    We don't have a great war in our generation, or a great depression, but we do, we have a great war of the spirit. We have a great revolution against the culture. The great depression is our lives. We have a spiritual depression.

Comment

Hi everyone. Just trying to fix my Cake mixer. Thanks for all the information.

Comment

thank you very much ,,im very happy to be with you

Comment

Hello.

My name is brian, and I live and (sometimes actually) work in Tallahassee, FL.

Comment

Hi. My name is Ian from Spokane Wa. I do graphics and have been playing with computers since the early 90's. Having a few issues with a couple computers and monitors, so thought I would look for answers here, from people who know more than I.

Comment

Hi, im from Mexico City, im a sound engineer and i work with audio equipment that constantly needs cap replacement, mostly because its vintage or runs very hot (or both) i've recaped around 2000 capacitors for the last 4 months, and many more in my entire life. I can totally say that i hate capacitors, but i dont hate Panasonic FMs that much.... Ill post pics of my bad caps from the 70s. NOW THATS A HORROR SHOW!

Comment

Hiya, I am Ben

I found this site while trying to fix a mobo with bad caps. Over the years I have found more of them, like OST, CapXon, and Vent. I am very into electronics stuff, circuits, transistors, audio amps, and I am willing to help anybody with this very widespread problem! I live on the east coast of the USA.

I have fixed a 42" plasma TV, 2 dell inspirons, a Daewoo DVD/VCR player, a few various motherboards, a Roomba, an insignia LCD TV/DVD player, and many more crappy things too

My favorite cap companies are Panasonic, NCC, Rubycon, Nichicon, CDE, and Kemet.

Any Questions? Just ask!

-Ben
                                Last edited by ben7; 01-08-2011, 08:10 AM.
                                Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Hello Everybody I am new here.

My first system was an IBM XT with an Intel 8088 iAPX86 processor running a 4.77MHz way back in'89 when I was close to 10 .

I learned hardware and electronics repairs at a local hardware shop in Nazimabad, Karachi-Pakistan after schools and later did diplomas in "Electronics / Computer Hardware Repairs" and Software. I have over 9 years of in field experience part time during high school and college.

I studied and graduated in Mechanical Engineering and I am a Professional Mechanical Engineer and now a days work in Metal Casting industry and specialize in Continuous casting of copper and copper alloys on UPCAST & Contirod Processes.

What can I say now hardware and electronics has become a very dear hobby of mine and I still take time out to build projects and carry out repairs on my own and equipment of my friends.

Comment

Hi folks, I'm a new member just trying to learn a little more about electronics and Hdtv's. I'm a retiree who a degree in electrical engineering technology and another in industrial Management both of which I stopped using many years ago. I've always been a gear head, and have always been interested in electronics, but never took it up in a serious way. Now i'm putzing with a flat screen and living the dream in the South, playing lots of golf and tooling around in an 1965 Ac Cobra. Doesn't get much better then that.

Comment

Greetings and salutations,

I'm an electrician, that is an inside wireman. I found this forum while researching a fix for a flatscreen TV. Long story short, I took the TV apart, made some voltage readings as a related thread suggested, put it back together and it works.

This forum prevented another flatscreen in a landfill and saved me some money, too.

I'll revisit from time to time.

Right on!

Comment

Hi all, my name is Russ. I have dabbled in electronics since the early 60's. Still dabbling. Have worked with all sorts of stuff from then till now. Currently work in the 2 way radio business as a full time bench tech. Found this site when looking for some info on a BENQ monitor, still looking by the way. I will drop in from time to time and see whats shakin. Hope y'all have a good new year.

Comment

Hi gang, I am a DIY person who need a hand with an LCD TV power supply. I have basic electronics skills but am no expert. I was a school trained auto mechanic for about 12 years and then switched computer programing in the mid 90's. Currently I an a Sr AIX Unix admin working 100% remotely from home. Will start off with some forum searches to see if the "answers are out there".. cut to xfiles soundbite..

Comment

Working...
                                          X