This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hall of Shame - Badcaps Photo Montage

These CapXon KF series capacitors were pulled from a ViewSonic LCD monitor.

I haven't seen anything like this before, the sleeve has shrunk down possibly from excessive heat.

Both measured 0.6 uF and over 40 ohms ESR.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jooo; 01-22-2014, 03:15 PM.

Comment

These are in my Altec Lansing subwoofer. Even worth replacing?
      Attached Files

Comment

^ Probably not under much stress, so I wouldn't bother. Now, if they are near hot components or in a tight enclosure that runs hot, then it might be worthwhile to replace them.

Comment

I guess I'll leave them. I know it's bad for capacitors to sit and not be used, it probably sat in inventory for almost 2 years. It's only 30W though so it shouldn't get hot. I'll check them every few months. Naturally, being a member of badcaps forum, I'm OCD about caps, aren't we all? Also, what crazy name will the chinese think of next?!

Comment

Ran across a Dell 3330DN Laser All-in-one (uses a samsung engine if I recall) that a customer called in to us saying it wouldn't power up. After getting onsite I could hear a continous clicking sound as you tried powering it on but the display would only flicker for a second & go blank again.

So I removed the covers trying to find the power supply board & not to my surprise were 2 bubbled CapXon caps. Clicking sound was coming from the transformer on the board, guessing due to low power. I'm thinking they were 1500uf 35v. Ended up just replacing all 5 caps shown in the pic.

Out of view behind the larger 1000uF caps was a resistor that the lead got so hot it burnt the bottom of the board. I was expecting the machine & board to not work even with new caps but amazingly it did. Took a picture of that as well, some of the copper tracing at the lead was peeling back as well but hard to tell from picture.
            Attached Files

Comment

opps meant to put in there Model 2335DN not 3330.

Comment

Not surprised that they popped, they're really close to those hot rectifiers! And somewhat trapped under that heatsink

Comment

All the Dell printers I've ever seen are made by Lexmark. Either way those are lame caps

Comment

Does this KZG cap look fake? It's got a black sleeve.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                      Does this KZG cap look fake? It's got a black sleeve.
                      I've seen genuine (received from UCC US headquarters people) KZE series UCC caps, so they have made low impedance parts that didn't have UCC Brown sleeves. But I've never seen black sleeving. What is the date of that board. That Samsung IC has "949" next to the company name: could it mean 49th week of 2009?
                      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Yes I think you're right, 49th week 2009. It came out of a Dell computer and the Dell manufacture date is late December, 2009. I wish I could have kept the card because I wanted to pull the cap and test it, analyze the bung, etc.

Comment

Yongxing VZ(M) series... find the differences

These capacitors were pulled from primary side of crappy no-name ATX PSU (2008/2009). This PSU shuts itself off after a second or two. Cap with K-like vent is bulged on top and reads about 20nF with ESR >40om, the second one is still good (329uF/~0.3om ESR). Sleeves are identical on both caps.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by vegi View Post

These capacitors were pulled from primary side of crappy no-name ATX PSU (2008/2009). This PSU shuts itself off after a second or two. Cap with K-like vent is bulged on top and reads about 20nF with ESR >40om, the second one is still good (329uF/~0.3om ESR). Sleeves are identical on both caps.
                            Looks like a copy of Nichicon's VZ series, with the way the stripe and the temp/date codes are printed. Interesting combo of vent styles and bung styles. Were there any more of these caps in that PSU?
                            Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

No, only these two in primary side. Other caps were ChengX. I don't actually remember their series, but they looked like generic ones. Also every output line (+3.3V/5V/etc) have only one green-gold "LOWESR" 1000uF/16V ChengX cap.

Unfortunately I don't have this power supply anymore, so I can't check it for more details.

Comment

Found these in a Dynex 5 port 10/100 switch

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by vegi View Post
                                  Wait a minute! Is that PCB material on the bottom bung of the second cap (the one on the right)? I'm talknig about in this picture:
                                  https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...2&d=1401124763
                                  If YES, definitely open up that cap and check what's inside. It would be very funny (and not too improbable) that a smaller cap resides inside.
                                  Last edited by momaka; 06-19-2014, 09:32 AM.

Comment

OK, here are some pictures:

1. Good Yongxing, dark brown electrolyte is still here
                                    2. Bad Yongxing (with PCB+rubber plug), perfectly dried
                                    3. [bad] Heavy corrosion on cathode foil, this rough dark-grey spots are probably some oxides, and white dots are remmants of electrolyte
                                    4. [bad] Corroded cathode, other view
                                    5. [bad] Plug details
                                    6. [bad] Rest of capacitor internals, anode is also corroded
                                    7. Cathode foil, bad Yongxing on left vs good Yongxing on right
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Fascinating!
                                      The pictures are definitely a good fit for the Hall of Shame.

Comment

Originally posted by LENOVO-A880 View Post
                                        Hey all,
                                        I'm very new to electronic fine soldering (or soldering capacitors at all). I have an used motherboard which I want to start an interesting (and in fact, for fixing, testing, trialing and improving purposes) project on it. However, I really don't know if these are bad, it's just that all of the green colored one on this motherboard which is from year 1999 are slightly bulged out on their top except for 1 or 2 which is visible in the both photos. What happened was a couple months ago, I tried to turn ON this failing motherboard and it did turn ON for a few moments then hangs in Windows. Again after a few try, the PC won't turn on (black screen) and no light blinking for the LED too. I tried several attempts to turn it on (case opened) with only a few components attached like "RAM", "CPU", "Ethernet Card" by shorting the 2 pins on the header of the motherboard together is exactly what the power button on the front panel does. Then still it won't power up and not even hearing a single beep from it.

Questions:
                                        1. I would be real keen to try replacing the caps if someone else can tell me if these caps are really bad or they are supposed to look this way, there is no leakages at all but a faint smell comes from the board but it could just be my imagination... It's a Acer Aspire V76M motherboard....What do you suggest?
                                        2. I guess my real question is, are there any 'Good' caps that have slight bulges, it is weird that those green ones have no leakage but the motherboard won't power up at all....
                                        Actually you have posted this in the wrong section/area. This pinned thread is for posting images of badcaps (and experiences). Try posting your inquiries here: Badcaps Forums > Motherboards with Bad Capacitors > Major Manufacturers Boards...

Comment

These are recent haul of badcaps pulled out of various hardware....

Image#1
                                          Decon, JunFu and CapXon from a client's Creative GigaWorks S750. This unit uses mostly Decon instead of CapXons for the most of the capacitors (except for that small 01.uF one very close to the heatsink which is the only CapXon on the power supply board). The Decons fare worse than CapXons since majority of them including the small ones are found to be bad. That big JunFu was on the BASH power amplifier board, found leaking from the bottom thru one of the leads.

Image #2
                                          Canicon from my ASUS network switch which was causing all sorts of problems for the past few months (including weird internet problems).

Image #3
                                          Ltec LXY ultra low impedance capacitors from a HP laptop AC adapter.

Image #4
                                          The usual Samwha XC series capacitors from Samsung SyncMaster LCD monitors. Does anyone have the datasheet for this series? I reckon its a compatible replacement for the usual crappy CapXon GL series.
                                          Attached Files
                                          Last edited by lexwalker; 07-06-2014, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X