2 no-POST Tyan Tsunami S1846 motherboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 no-POST Tyan Tsunami S1846 motherboards

I have twin S1846 boards that won't any longer POST, and Slot1 Coppermine 700MHz and Katmai 600MHz to fit them. A slocket with 933 Coppermine won't POST either, No beeps. The graphics card does put a cursor on the display on power-up. Mixing the parts up doesn't change anything. Three different PSUs, and other RAM sticks don't help either. If there's anything on the web about S1846s routinely dying of old age, I've yet to find it.

These have 5 UCC LXF 1000uF 10V 10x20mm (codes 8(2) &4H), 4 Sanyo CG 1000uF 6.3V 8x11.5mm, 1 Gemcon seriesless 330uF 16V. All are near CPU slot. All tested OK with my ESR60 meter on removal from one of the two boards. It also has about 18 4x7mm I haven't given more than a peek at. Although tested OK, I've already replaced the Gemcon with a Nichicon PS and the Sanyos with Nichicon HM.

What to do about the UCCs is the immediate question. I read here that through most of the 1990s the LXFs were iffy, which is why I decided to try replacement. I could find no specs for LXF, only this page specifying UCC series suitable for replacing. The LXY 1000uF 10V 10x20 is in stock at Digi-Key at a pricey for their size $0.69USD each or $4.88USD for 10. Since I can't find a spec for LXF, I don't know what ripple is needed, while because of UCC's replacement table I should expect the 1.04A @ 100kHz of the LXY would be at least adequate. I'm baffled how same can sizes at same other specs can so often have a double or more ripple rating than other quality series.

I have several possibilities for 1000uF 10V replacements in stock:
    • Nichicon HM 10x16mm, 2000 ripple, 10V
    • Nichicon HM 10x16mm, 2000 ripple, 16V
    • UCC KZN 10x16mm, 2000 ripple, 16V
    • Panasonic FM 10x20mm, 2180 ripple

Should I put the LXFs back? Should I spring for 10 (or more) LXYs? Which if any of my inventory should be suitable, given all seem to provide double the modest estimated ~1000 ripple required and be low impedance, same as the LXY. Should I expect nothing to help? What else on a motherboard would die of old age, the tiny electrolytics?

Re: 2 no-POST Tyan Tsunami S1846 motherboards

Note, with old-skool motherboards, the IDE cable being backwards, likely causes symptom resembling a damaged CPU, but no damage is likely to be caused by that, at least if you don't leave it on for longer than 1 minute.

Another symptom, possibly, is a blinking cursor on the top left. But that's usually a corrupted boot sector.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Neither board will POST with any combination of cables connected, with no cables connected, or with all needed ones connected.

Blinking cursor top left IME can happen from either no boot device, or corrupt boot sector, or POST never occurring. The last is the case with these.

Comment

Originally posted by mrmazda View Post

Blinking cursor top left IME can happen from either no boot device, or corrupt boot sector, or POST never occurring. The last is the case with these.
        With one that's dead, CPU won't init, I usually can't even get a cursor to appear.
        And of course, the monitor usually reports no signal and goes to standby or stays in standby.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Both fixed, plus a third (my sister's):

1st-used 5 Nichicon HM 10x16mm 1000uF 16V
          2nd-used 5 UCC KZN 10x16mm 1000uF 16V
          3rd-used my last 4 UCC KZN 10x16mm 1000uF 16V & last Nichicon HM 10x16mm 1000uF 16V

I didn't use my 10V HMs because either I've grossly misplaced them, or my inventory is wrong.

Sis's ancient Antec PS had 3 leaking 10x30mm 2200uF 6.3V Jenpos. I used 10x25 Panasonic FR for those, closest I could come from stock that could fit the tightly crowded space.

Comment

Working...
          X