Asus Prime m250 Pro runs one processor, not anoter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus Prime m250 Pro runs one processor, not anoter

This is my first real request for help from the good folks on the Badcaps forum.
    I recently purchased a Asus Prime b250 Pro as an electronics project motherboard but the stated symptoms are not what I expected. I was both pleased and slightly disappointed that after putting in a i3 6100 processor the motherboard posted no problem. I installed Windows and ran a few stress test programs, checked the memory, and figured the previous owner was wrong in thinking there was an issue.
    I put in my i5 7600 (from my main work machine) and booted. The UEFI popped up with a message to say that a change of processor had been detected and that I should press F1 to restore BIOS, which I did. The processor was correctly identified in the BIOS settings window and I saved and exited. There was no POST. No beeps, just the processor fan. I tried this several times.
    I removed the battery to clear the CMOS and again the F1 to reload BIOS and then nothing other than the fan.
    I went back to the 6th gen processor and, after a BIOS reset all good again.
    Flashed the BIOS to latest. Checked HWInfo - the CPU Vcore was fluctuating between .7 and 1.25 volts, but nothing strange otherwise. Anyway, every time I change from the lower spec chip to the higher I get exactly the same no POST symptom. The problem seems to manifest itself with the change of processor profile.
    The RAM and CPU are both on the support list and I have tried two PSUs.
    So questions: has anyone seen this behaviour before? Are my Vcore reading normal? and, lastly, could it be a faulty BIOS chip? - I noticed a strange indelible white mark on the Winbond chip (which I cannot identify btw?) and have included an image.
    Many thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

Re: Asus Prime m250 Pro runs one processor, not anoter

Use a multimeter and check what Vcore is actually doing - not what HWInfo tells you it is doing.
    Follow me on YouTube
    ------------------
    Learn Electronics Repair
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I will try that. I already follow you on YouTube and find your channel extremely interesting, so thanks for that as well!

Comment

Okay, so I have 1.13v on 3 phases and 1.03 on the 4th. No instability that I can see.

Comment

Sounds like your i5 7600 is bad try another cpu.

Comment

Thanks for that. The i5 7600 is currently running the machine I am posting from and passes the Intel Processor Diagnostic tool checks. Although the socket look pretty tidy I wonder about a pin as the memory voltage spec changes from Skylake to Karby Lake. Maybe.

Comment

@sorehead
              I don't see how you can have different voltage on phase 4. Because all phases of Vcore are connected together after the inductors.

If you really have one Vcore phase reading different voltage there is something fundamentally wrong.

I guess there could be a problem with Vcore as the i3-6100 TDP is 51W and the i5-7100 TDP is 65W, there could be some fault causing stability problem at the higher current/wattage. As Vcore is close to 1V then the extra 14W equates to an extra 14 Amps so it's quite a lot.

Bios Revision 0308 should support both CPU.

Thanks for following my YT channel
              Follow me on YouTube
              ------------------
              Learn Electronics Repair
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Comment

Working...
              X