102m ceramic cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

102m ceramic cap

Hi, I am new to this forum; so if i have posted in the wrong place i am sorry. Basically i have and lcd psu with this bad capacitor. I'm pretty sure its 1000pf +/- 20 . However i am only guessing its 1kv. Any help in identifying the right values for this would be much appreciated, or pointing me in the right direction for a replacement.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bilbofx; 04-02-2013, 08:59 AM. Reason: missed something out
    go url

Re: 102m ceramic cap

1000 pF 20 % tolerance is correct. Looks like a Y-safety rated cap. Is this located by the mains plug or in that general area?

What makes you think it's bad? The stuff below it is more than likely just glue used to hold the cap down while the PSU was assembled in the factory.

Comment

I think this cap is good , Try resolder cap leg. or if u doubt you can measure by cap meter.

Comment

That looks like an X/Y cap.

Comment

Hi momaka, Actually i have posted the wrong cap, although very similar. This is the one i meant to post. There are 2 of these in paralell right next to the main 5amp fuse, are these just to smooth out the current. I think this is a 470pf again, not sure if i can replace with 250v,400v or 1kv or does this not matter as the ac voltage is 240v and these are rated higher and the proof voltage is way higher. Hope that makes some sort of sense. Thanks for all your suggestions. By the way the fuse popped and blew the legs off. Opps!!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by bilbofx; 04-04-2013, 09:37 AM. Reason: added to it
          go url

Comment

Originally posted by bilbofx View Post
            I think this is a 470pf again, not sure if i can replace with 250v,400v or 1kv or does this not matter as the ac voltage is 240v and these are rated higher and the proof voltage is way higher.
            Technically any of those will work but that's not all there is to this. These have to be X/Y safety rated, too. The difference is that X/Y safety caps fail open-circuit rather than short-circuit if something was to go wrong with them (say, from a lightning surge, for example). Regular ceramic caps on the other hand may become short-circuited in such a situation and this can be a fire hazard.

Most standard X/Y class caps come with 250V rating.

Originally posted by bilbofx View Post
            By the way the fuse popped and blew the legs off. Opps!!
            If the fuse has popped, the problem is very likely somewhere else. Prime suspects are the switching transistor on the primary side and the bridge rectifier so you should start by checking those.

Comment

Working...
            X