XFX RX 5700XT No Display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XFX RX 5700XT No Display

My friend handed over a xfx 5700xt with no display. When is first inspected the card is saw that the caps at the back of the card on the PCIE were knocked off with pads missing.
    I have fixed the pads back and replaced the missing caps with 220nf caps. I have tested that the pads are connected well and are making contact. i did check that there are no shorts on the 12v PCIE, 3.3V PCIE and the 12V coming from the power supply connectors. When i power the card ON i have all voltages but no display. I did a resistance check and i have marked my findings in the pics i have attached. I have never worked on a RX 5700XT before and i do not have any schematics for this board. I have tried switching the BIOS switch to the second position and its still the same. i have rewritten the BIOS with chip with the relevant one from Techpowerup and still no display. The GPU chip is getting warm. Upon doing a diode test in the PCIE lanes connecting to the BIOS chip i get 0.898V on all 16 lines in the front. The memory modules are of Samsung.
    Can anyone assist where i might be missing out on or may have gone wrong to analyze. I am not an expert and i consider myself as a learner. I have attached the pics of the card for reference.
    Attached Files

Re: XFX RX 5700XT No Display

Can anyone suggest. Should i consider reflowing or reballing the BGA chip? Its just that i want to make sure that i am exhausting all options before i get to the BGA chip.

Comment

Dont reflow the Chip unless you can tell for sure that something is Abnormal ! Get an oscilloscope and check CS (Chip Select Pin 5) of the Bios Chip you should see 3,3V getting pulled down when the Chip is reading bios. Could be the litte 22mHz Quartz oscillatior. And check your PEX_Wake, PEX_Reset, SMCLK,SMDAT. You can find the pinout of the outputside PEX connector on Wiki.

Also have you tried using your iGPU to see if the GPU just has no Picture but is detected?

Comment

Originally posted by SippeY View Post
        Dont reflow the Chip unless you can tell for sure that something is Abnormal ! Get an oscilloscope and check CS (Chip Select Pin 5) of the Bios Chip you should see 3,3V getting pulled down when the Chip is reading bios. Could be the litte 22mHz Quartz oscillatior. And check your PEX_Wake, PEX_Reset, SMCLK,SMDAT. You can find the pinout of the outputside PEX connector on Wiki.

Also have you tried using your iGPU to see if the GPU just has no Picture but is detected?
        Thank you sippey for your reply. I don't have an Oscilloscope but i have ordered one. It should be here in a week or 2. Mean while i have handed the card back to my friend. will wait for my Oscilloscope to turn up at my door. Once i have all the tools will test the IGPU as well to check if it detects.

Comment

Have you checked if the card will give a picture if used as a secondary GPU?
          Follow me on YouTube
          ------------------
          Learn Electronics Repair
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Comment

Originally posted by dicky96 View Post
            Have you checked if the card will give a picture if used as a secondary GPU?
            No Richard, i have not tested that. but i will surely try that when i get the card back.

Comment

i Also feel the 1.8 ohms on the PEX Inductor is a bit too low even though i get 0.905V on it. Does any of you feel the same or am i am looking in the wrong direction.

Comment

I also got an RX5700 XFX DD that has the same issue as yours . The GPU gets warm-to hot when powered up . I first measured for shorts on 12v and 3,3v rails and seems good . Card does not get seen at all in HIVEOS . I measured some resistance on various parts and they all have some ohms but I don`t know which is good or bad becauseI just started to repair GPU , inspired by @dicky96 . I did not test voltages because I stop the card as the GPU chip is getting warm and I didn`t want to brake it . The thing is some guy who sold me the card told me that he went to a repair shop and they said the GPU core is bad . Could that be possible and the GPU still get warm to hot when powered up ? Can anyone help me into pointing where to look ? Thanks a lot guys

Comment

Originally posted by Goblin999 View Post
                  I also got an RX5700 XFX DD that has the same issue as yours . The GPU gets warm-to hot when powered up . I first measured for shorts on 12v and 3,3v rails and seems good . Card does not get seen at all in HIVEOS . I measured some resistance on various parts and they all have some ohms but I don`t know which is good or bad becauseI just started to repair GPU , inspired by @dicky96 . I did not test voltages because I stop the card as the GPU chip is getting warm and I didn`t want to brake it . The thing is some guy who sold me the card told me that he went to a repair shop and they said the GPU core is bad . Could that be possible and the GPU still get warm to hot when powered up ? Can anyone help me into pointing where to look ? Thanks a lot guys
                  I am not an expert but if you take a look at the image at the start of the post it shows the measurements at every point on the graphic card, you can refer to these points to take measurements on your card at the same points to get a better understanding of what the card is doing. Secondly with your multi meter in diode mode test the PCIE lanes coming from the GPU. Remember they are all in pairs. It does not matter what the reading is but the reading should be in the similar range on all pairs (16 pairs in total). Check the caps on the first pair on the back connected to the PCIE lane (closest to the 12V @3.3V from PCIE. I have uploaded am image marked with a green circle ) if its present or missing. I am sure with some readings on a pic of your card someone here will be better equipped to help you. For me I had returned the card back to my friend and he sold the card so i could not continue the work on the card. You would need some kind of heatsink and thermal paste to pop on top of the CHIP when testing voltages.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by frazerxavier; 01-28-2022, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by frazerxavier View Post
                    I am not an expert but if you take a look at the image at the start of the post it shows the measurements at every point on the graphic card, you can refer to these points to take measurements on your card at the same points to get a better understanding of what the card is doing. Secondly with your multi meter in diode mode test the PCIE lanes coming from the GPU. Remember they are all in pairs. It does not matter what the reading is but the reading should be in the similar range on all pairs (16 pairs in total). Check the caps on the first pair on the back connected to the PCIE lane (closest to the 12V @3.3V from PCIE. I have uploaded am image marked with a green circle ) if its present or missing. I am sure with some readings on a pic of your card someone here will be better equipped to help you. For me I had returned the card back to my friend and he sold the card so i could not continue the work on the card. You would need some kind of heatsink and thermal paste to pop on top of the CHIP when testing voltages.

Thanks a lot for the fast reply . Will be getting back on the card later today as now I am at work . I literally don`t know how to test if the GPU chip is gone or not . I was assuming that if the chip get hot is still working properly , but I don`t know much about it

Comment

So I took some voltage and resistence check-ups and I got the following results (posted in the pictures above) . Any suggestions where to check or what to do next ?
                      LE : Just tested the bios pin with an arrow pointed towards it , and the osciloscope doesn`t sense anything when powering it up .
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Goblin999; 01-28-2022, 09:24 AM.

Comment

So I took some voltage and resistence check-ups and I got the following results (posted in the pictures above) . Any suggestions where to check or what to do next ?
                        LE : Just tested the bios pin with an arrow pointed towards it , and the osciloscope doesn`t sense anything when powering it up .
                        on the bios chip check pin 8 if there is 3.2V. if yes put your oscilloscope on pin 1 when powering pc on if there is noise (weird fuzzy waves) while staring up. if yes check pin 2 and pin 5. there should be some noise on those pins as well when starting up. pin 2 and 5 are used by the GPU chip to send and receive data from and to the BIOS chip. Also check if the clock is working on pin 6 with the oscilloscope. If there is VCC on pin 8 and noise on pin 1 but nothing on pin 2 and 5 or noise on pin 5 but nothing on pin2 then if you have a ch341 programmer check if you are able to read the bios chip and program the BIOS chip. (No power is required and the graphic card has to be without power). If it does not read replace bios chip. If there is no 3.2V on pin 8 check if you can trace a way back to the source of the problem. Schematic may be required if doing the first time (or some expert can help). If there is no noise on pin1 (one with the arrow or dot) then the GPU chip is not checking for the BIOS chip if available. Data is sent on pin2 from the BIOS and received back on pin 5.

My understanding is if there is VCC (3.2V) on pin 8 and there is clock on pin 6 but nothing on pin 1 (no noise) and the BIOS chip is readable by the CH341 programmer, the GPU chip is the problem. I may be wrong but I'm sure someone can throw some light here.
                        Last edited by frazerxavier; 01-28-2022, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Can you please confirm that I got the numbers right on the BIOS chip ? So I would know what to measure ?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Can you please confirm that I got the numbers right on the BIOS chip ? So I would know what to measure ?
                            I don't recollect the orientation and the image is not clear but pin 1 is the side which has the dot. Don't forget it's a dual bios. there are 2 BIOS chips. one in the front and one at the back. And there is a selectable switch.

I have added and example from a RX 580 which uses a chip from the same manufacturer.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by frazerxavier; 01-28-2022, 11:00 AM.

Comment

So pin 8 has 3,3 V , but unfortunately there is no noise on pin 1 (tested with osciloscope) - also pin 1 has 3,3v (just measured it) . Also pin 2 and 5 both produce some weaves on the osciloscope , but unfortunately pin 6 doesn`t do anything (same as pin 1) . Unfortunately I don`t have a CH341 programmer to unsolder the chip from the board and test it out . I fear the worst that the GPU chip may be gone

Comment

So pin 8 has 3,3 V , but unfortunately there is no noise on pin 1 (tested with osciloscope) - also pin 1 has 3,3v (just measured it) . Also pin 2 and 5 both produce some weaves on the osciloscope , but unfortunately pin 6 doesn`t do anything (same as pin 1) . Unfortunately I don`t have a CH341 programmer to unsolder the chip from the board and test it out . I fear the worst that the GPU chip may be gone
                                Don't give up yet. i am out of options here but wait for some expert to comment. You wont regret. the CH341 programmer does not require the chip to be removed. it comes with clip which can be placed directly on top of the chip to read and program it. but if there is no clock on pin 6 then check the clock on the card with an oscilloscope. i have attached the pic of a clock for a GPU. its similar on 5700XT.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by frazerxavier; 01-28-2022, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Don't give up yet. i am out of options here but wait for some expert to comment. You wont regret.
                                  Thanks a lot for your time and information men . I will wait to see if someone can point me out here . Cheers !

Comment

Thanks a lot for your time and information men . I will wait to see if someone can point me out here . Cheers !
                                    i have added a pic in my previous message.

Comment

i have added a pic in my previous message.
                                      Still searching for that part on my board and cannot find it . I am a total begginer

Comment

Still searching for that part on my board and cannot find it . I am a total begginer
                                        it should be in the front of the board. likely on the left of the GPU chip

Comment

Working...
                                        X