Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XFX Radeon RX480 with artifacting

Hello.
    I have an XFX Radeon RX480 8GB Black with artifacting.

You can see in the pictures how it behaves. From what I read this would be caused by a bad memory chip or bad memory controller in the core.
    I found this video with a RX580 that has a similar problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWDYmCmIde4

He got lucky and the bad memory chip was shorted out and he could easily identify it. My problem is that the memory rail has 20ohm so that seems ok.
    He mentions at about the 2 minute mark a guy that posted a way to figure out what memory channel is at fault, so you could narrow down to two chips.
    From what I can tell my bad channel is D and the bad chip could be D0 or D1 but I am not sure. He is talking about a RX580 and I have a RX480 but the core and memory around it looks exactly the same, so it should be valid for my card as well.
    Now I want to ask if anybody else had this problem and can share a hint. One memory chip is about 15$ new and if I could avoid buying 8 I would be happy

Thank you
    Attached Files

Re: XFX Radeon RX480 with artifacting

Did you try this?

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84308

Comment

It clairlly bad memory and excactly chnnal a

Comment

There really isn't a way to tell which chip it is. Most people say to change both. And yes. That would be D0 or D1. You could replace one, then the other if the first doesn't fix it. Tserver is useful, but it still just narrows it down to 2 chips.

Comment

Hi to all, maybe I found a way to tell what memmory module is, please try and tell us, because right now all my faulty AMD cards are memmory OK.

First you have to know what cpu and memories frecuency are in "normal" o even "boost" mode, looking at Techpoweruo for example, write them in a paper or just remember those values.

Instead of running ./teserver...... run

./agt -mccfg

and it should give you your total gpu ram and size of every module, look if someone has diferent value, that one is the faulty.

If all the modules are same size, try with more frecuency, now its time to use the frecuencies take from Techpowerup, write this

./agt -mem=1000 (change 1000 with your max memory frec)

./agt -eng=1100 (change 1100 with your max GPU frec)

now your card will run at those frecuencies, run

./agt -mccfg

and maybe now you find a faulty chip

Hope it works and help anyone

Comment

Working...
          X