Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking Help with ASUS Strix 1070 CG411P5 - This is an odd one.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking Help with ASUS Strix 1070 CG411P5 - This is an odd one.

Hey everyone!

I've been dabbling into GPU repair and have more than few cards brought back from the dead successfully. I understand that not all cards are repairable. I do have a SMD rework station, just a cheap one but gets the job done ( and it is calibrated!) and the required tools to do voltage injection.

But with this card, the symptoms are:

-When in PC
    - Fans Spin
    - Not Detected in BIOS
    - Not Detected in Windows
    - No Display output.
    - GPU silicon does get warm

Checks I have done:
    Checked all cables, reseated etc (Have tested the GPU in 3 different systems)
    I have checked all voltage rails.
    Pex at 1 Volt
    1.8 volt stable
    12 Volt is stable
    5 volt is stable
    3.3 Volt is stable
    GPU VRM shows standby voltage of .860 Mv after inductor on all VRM Phases.
    VRAM voltage at 1.3 volts
    Used an SPI Programmer to re-flash the V-bios.
    Checked resistance of all V-rails. And they're all within a healthy range. No short or low resistance on VRAM or 1.8, 1 Volt

I have checked for any damaged components, at least the obvious ones. No missing or burnt components no shorts can be detected anywhere, new vbios didn't help.

And this is where I am now lost as I cannot see and also do not know where to test from here as there is no clear direction, at least to my knowledge on where to either probe or replace components.

Re: Seeking Help with ASUS Strix 1070 CG411P5 - This is an odd one.

Get a schematics, and check all the address lines and data lines on the PCIe connector in with a meter in diode mode (2 x 32 pins). Plus probe to the ground. Addresslines (upperside) schould have ca 0,4 V, data lines (backside) can have less, but all schould have the same. The data lines you need to check before the caps, which are usually close to the PCIe connector. Check the caps (220nF) for shorts. It could be also some power network failure, voltages are present but GPU is not enabled, or finally GPU is dead, or too much/bad memory failures. If you can have a scope you can try to check, whether the GPU reads the BIOS on the Bios serial data line. Check presence of another voltage supply lines on the GPU, like 1.8VAON and a few more - they are usually accesible on the backside caps under the GPU (the place under the GPU with a mass of caps), use a boardview to determine the supplys. Another issue can be corroded - non contacting pads under the GPU, reflow or reballing is the solution. Generally a difficult case to handle, as you cannot use Mats (Mats will not work as card must be recognized in Bios).
    Last edited by DynaxSC; 01-11-2022, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Dynax,

I've checked everything as you have suggested except for the Bios as I do not have a scape. That is the one tool that is out of my budget for now.

All of the Data lines show 0.4 as you mentioned. All of the caps in the lines appear to be fine as well. The GPU go into standby and draws .850mv as mentioned. And I have checked that the 2.0 volt enable on p9511p is present. I'm not sure if an And/or gate is not working. I cannot find the exact reference needed as it is missing in the board schematics I have found. Along with that I cannot find a boardveiw based file to do a step by step trace of what component talks to what.

I'm completely lost as this point. I could order a cheap diy scope once I get the funds, unless someone can share a way to do it without a scope? The GPU checks out completely fine. All voltages throughout the PCB seem to be present unless I'm missing something. And I probably am as I haven't gotten anywhere lol.

Edit: so I dug deeper. Having to jump through multiple schematics. I found that the GPU seems to be going into protect mode. I don't have enough time tonight to dig further. But even though I cannot find any shorts and all power rails are present. It seems to immediately go into protect mode as soon as it receives power. Maybe the gate on it is stuck on protect? Should I try swapping the component with a good known one?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. If I can't fix it, it'll just become a parts GPU to repair others.
      Last edited by AlbinoKrait; 01-12-2022, 01:31 AM.

Comment

As you have been able to program the Bios the probability that it does not work is very low, so I would not persue this idea as buying a scope is most probably an overkill. Otherwise I do not have more "brilliant" ideas now, maybe someone else will have. Maybe it's worth to investigate, what could be potentially the reason for the GPU going into protect mode.

Comment

Might be worth checking the bios chip data line resistors, and of course that it has power before you start removing memory chips

Maybe this file is helpful too.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Bozog; 01-12-2022, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Thanks Bozog, but that is what I have been using. Just a pain in the ass but it is what has let me find out that the GPU is going into protect mode. Clearly something to do with the PCI input or something along those lines. I just need to find out if its a bad cap or an AND/OR gate that is stuck in the protect/wrong position.

I hope someone has had a similar issue and can help. Unless I find the solution and I'll post it here along with my steps of diagnosing.

Comment

Have you checked pexrst yet?

Comment

Check the PCIe reset signal which is active low - is the GPU coming out of reset? This signal usually goes via a logical AND gate between the PCIe connector and the GPU

Try the graphics card on a single lane mining adapter - will it detect now?

Richard
                Follow me on YouTube
                ------------------
                Learn Electronics Repair
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Comment

@DrasticRepairs & Richard, I'm not exactly sure how to test the AND gates. I have a couple different multimeters with different sensitivity. How would I go about testing the AND gate for the PCIe reset?

As for the single lane mining adapter, I first tried it and tested the GPU in 2 different machines, and probed the voltages and what not just to clear any potential problems but for my last bit of testing It has been connected via a mining PCIe adapter. (Yes I've made sure that the PCIe connector was never plugged in the wrong way, and it's previous owner was an older gentleman that didn't give two shits about mining thankfully lol) But the GPU did just all of sudden stopped displaying out onto the monitor and stopped being detected. Hence why the trouble shooting I've done so far.

Thank you guys for helping me with this!

Edit: So I have searched for anything related to the PCE RST and I cannot find anything. Or the components are not where they would be. Asus must of had their own way of doing this. It ended up causing me to chase the GPU_wake and GPU event conn but couldn't find any bad components. I do not see an AND gate in the PCIe RST line, infact it leads to an unpopulated solder point for R46 and U5 but neither of them are on the board.
                  Last edited by AlbinoKrait; 01-14-2022, 06:36 PM. Reason: Update

Comment

Bump? Anyone have any ideas? I'm losing hope with this card lol.

Comment

yeah,Buddy,its the memory chips or 0 ohms resistor.to check memory, use mats and mods check resistense on all 0 ohms resistor find R987,if you cant use mats and mods,take off all memory chips and reball them
                      Last edited by Ztoth; 02-20-2022, 05:00 PM. Reason: left something out

Comment

Working...
                      X