RX580 Gigabyte Gaming 8GB - Micron - Boots only if I do the BIOS short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RX580 Gigabyte Gaming 8GB - Micron - Boots only if I do the BIOS short

So I just got off ebay this Gigabyte RX580 Gaming with 8GB Micron memory . The thing is the card only starts if I do the paper clip short on BIOS . I booted using the paper clip method in Hive , reflashed the original BIOS again but still won`t boot unless I do again the short on pins 1+5 . Anyone knows why , or how should I recover from this ? Thanks

Re: RX580 Gigabyte Gaming 8GB - Micron - Boots only if I do the BIOS short

Pins 1 and 5 are chip enable and mosi, why would you short those?

You can check the resistors in the chip enable line, seems unlikely the chip itself is bad since you can get it to boot and flash, but you never know. Does this card not have dual-bios and a switch?

Comment

Originally posted by Bozog View Post
      Pins 1 and 5 are chip enable and mosi, why would you short those?

You can check the resistors in the chip enable line, seems unlikely the chip itself is bad since you can get it to boot and flash, but you never know. Does this card not have dual-bios and a switch?

So I shorted the pins marked with red circle , and managed to reflash BIOs 2 times (once I flashed a hynix memory by mistake)- and afterwards I flashed the original BIOS from gigabyte forum . The thing is the pc won`t boot unless I do again the short on those pins . Unfortunately it is a single mode BIOS (no switches) . Can you point me where I should check the resistors ? Thanks
      Attached Files

Comment

This is how it reads the card after booting(in HiveOS) with those pins shorted for a while :

Radeon RX 470/480 8192 MB · AMD/ATI
        Micron MT51J256M32 · xxx-xxx-xxx

Comment

Also measured resistance on this little resistor and it gives 1 kohm
          Attached Files

Comment

Looks like its one of those 4 resistors above pin 4, they should all be 33r, you should also be able to measure the 2k2 pullup resistor between pin 1 and pin 8 on the bios chip.

Comment

all 4 resistors above pin 4 have 33 ohm r, I don`t know exactly which is the 2k2 pullup resistor between thos pins

Comment

The 1k resistor looks like its the pullup anyway. Well then I have no idea, nor do I have any idea why you are shorting chip enable and mosi, or why that would make it boot...I think maybe this is a red herring and shorting those pin is not what is making it work.

Comment

Also the little led from the 8 pin PCI power doesn`t show any color

Comment

The 1k resistor looks like its the pullup anyway. Well then I have no idea, nor do I have any idea why you are shorting chip enable and mosi, or why that would make it boot...I think maybe this is a red herring and shorting those pin is not what is making it work.

what do you mean by "red herring" ? I am a total newbie regarding gpu repaird

Comment

A red herring means a misleading clue

Comment

A red herring means a misleading clue
                        Thanks for enlighting me . I really don`t know where to look further ...

Comment

Need to start from the beginning, what actually happens when the card doesn't work?

Comment

The pc won`t boot - Display screen stays black . If I short those 2 pins (I read on internet that when card is bricked shorting those pins helps you unbrick it) , everything goes well -pc boots , cards is discovered in HiveOS , etc

Comment

What it works every time when you short those 2 pins? I am so not convinced

Comment

What it works every time when you short those 2 pins? I am so not convinced
                                Yes , it boots every time when I short those pins )) Also a facut that is strange is if I don`t insert the 8pin power supply cable in the slot but card is inpci riser the white led lights up white . When I insert the 8pin power cable it doesn`t lights at all

Comment

Just leave them shorted then

Comment

Just leave them shorted then

That is clearly not the solution I wanted to find out why is this happening ? I put osciloscope on the pin 1 of bios and nothing happens . It is such a strange thing

Comment

Can you try it as a secondary gpu, use on-board or another gpu as primary?

Comment

Can you try it as a secondary gpu, use on-board or another gpu as primary?

I use on board primary always . When I do not short those pins it is simply not booting . doesn`t get the motherboard pass bios - the screen just stays black

Comment

Working...
                                        X