Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken R7 260x - Voltages on board

Hi everyone.

I got a broken MSI R7 260X for $10, seller said there was a surge and afterward graphics and network stopped working.
    The power supply goes into protection if inserting the 6pin ATX12V into the graphics card.

So i figured, well, yeah, some mos broke in the VRM, should be easy fix.

Indeed, a Hiside mos was shorted and i replaced it.

The Vcore was generated by 2 switcher groups (hiside + loside MOS and an inductor in each group) powered from 12V PCIE and another 2 from 6pin 12V ATX. The broken mos was on the 12V ATX side.

There's another 2 switchers from 12V PCIE which i guess is Vmem or mem controller.

There's also one switcher from 12V ATX which is either Vmem or mem controller.

The motherboard gives 1 long beep and 12 short ones with this card so there are some more problems.

I measured some voltages on the board and i have ~0.9V for Vcore and the other switcher from PCIE.

The switcher from ATX12V has 1.6V.

These seem a little low but the card is not doing anything so maybe it's in low power.

The fan starts spinning maybe 2s after powerup.

Are there other voltages to be measured ?
    Since it doesn't post, maybe it's the bios not initializing.

Any advice is welcomed since graphics cards cost an arm and a leg nowadays.

Re: Broken R7 260x - Voltages on board

look for bios voltage on bios chip, look for damage on caps in vga, dvi or hdmi inputs, a surge can go into the card from monitor output

Comment

Working...
    X