Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8800 GT with bad caps, i think

Hi guys, im from argentina. I have a question

i have a xfx 8800 gt graphic card which i had to cook for 10 minutes because it was showing some strange lines in the screen. it work back again for around six month and now it doesn´t start. the pc boots but the fan start but theres no image. so i took the card off and it seems to have 4 big solid capacitors a little bulged. the readings are EPL 1500 2.5v.

i believe they are a little bulged because the top is not flat and it is not symmetrically bulged, but the have no visible perforations on them.

what do you think?

Re: 8800 GT with bad caps, i think

I'm not an answer-man, but sometimes photos help.

Comment

yes, i know, i tried, but i couldnt get a good one to show it clearly.

i would replace them inmediatly if i could, but the problem is i cant get solid capacitors in my country. i was wondering if a Ketuo 1500 uf 10v would work. even with the problem is that it is an electrolitic capacitor.

i also have two more solid capacitors on another dead card

1- LF 1500 e8x4
      2- LF 330 C884

i was wondering if they could help too, to replace the others.

what do you think?

Comment

It's not safe to bake PCB's with the caps still on it.
        The heat will either pop them or if lytics destroy the electrolyte.

Need to see pics of the caps to know what you are starting with.
        Probably more than one brand has "LF" series and possibly more than one "EPL" out there too.
        The series are not the same from one brand to another just because the series name is.

- Either that or you ID them and tell us the brand.

Diameter also matters as well as radial vs SMD.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Once we know what there are for sure,,, there may be lytics that are good enough.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

I understand.

this is the best i got so far. i´ll try to get a better camera.

the 4 big ones are those i mentioned.

Thanks for your help.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by letterpost; 04-16-2011, 05:07 PM.

Comment

These linked below could work as replacement but as PCBONEZ said we would need to know the ratings of the original caps to be sure.
              And also pictures of both the top of the capacitors and the underside of the PCB where they are located would help so we know if through hole capacitors can be used or if it must be surface mount capacitors...

https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=134

Enable the macro mode on your camera and try to get some good close up photos...
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Also logos are a big help if they have one.

And look through here..
                http://capacitor.web.fc2.com/solidcapacitor.html

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

Based on "ELP" and the color I can see I think you have these.
                  http://www.tw-elcon.com/en/product.php#
                  -
                  Their webmaster isn't bright enough to make the link go to a data sheet though.

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD GUESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pcbonez

do you think i could use the one i told you before to replace them? the Ketuo 1500 uf 10v

i still cant belive you found it!!!

Comment

Can't find anything through the back door either.
                      - Sent them this:
                      ---
                      Why does your webmaster put dead links to data sheets on your site?
                      Do you even have data sheets?

No attention to detail on the website implies no attention to detail in the product.

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

I still don't know the ratings for the old ones.
                        I can't say what's equivelent when I dunno their specs.

I don't know what Ketuo are yet either.

The LF -might- be Nichicon

Can you get panny FM there?

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

so i suppose they dont take enough care to their product neither.

the caps don´t look like bad quality, but i think they might be damaged.

i´ll look for another camara to get a better picture.

Thanks a lot.

Comment

As those are ? brand Polymer the ESR is probably somewhere between .015 and .010 ohms.
                            They ~could~ be as low as .005 but probably not.
                            Since dunno specs I'd use something with ESR between .012 and .005 if you can.

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

i took a shot and replace all 4 big caps with:

1 LF 1500 uf e8x4 which i think is a Nichicon as pcbonez said.
                              2 FJ 1500 uf 6.3 v
                              1 Ketuo 1500 uf 10 v

as you can see is a real long shot, and i still have the same result, the pc starts but no video. so i start checking the transistors and one seems to be in short between the outer legs. should have checked this from the begining.

The transistor is a D412 it has an A inside a circle, the rest of the readings are bt747n.
                              ill look for the datasheets to see if i have something similar on my other dead 9800 gs.

Comment

well the dead transistor is this

http://doc.chipfind.ru/html/aosmd/aod412.html

hard to find something similar in my country

anyway i have two choices:

1 ) http://doc.chipfind.ru/html/stmicroe...td17ne03l.html

easy to mount. but i dont know if it will hold the power

2) http://doc.chipfind.ru/html/irf/irfz46n.html

hard to mount, too big. but might hold better the power.

i think i will mount the first choice to see what happen.

Comment

RS Serves Argentina
                                  http://www.yel.com.ar/

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

thanks for the tip, i'll check it, didnt know it. it might be useful

these are the best photos i could get.

the 4th one is the dead video card and the nichicon caps.

I have replaced the capacitors and the transistor. the transistor again seem to be in short right after i installed it, so it must be the pcb. and again the same result. pc beeps indicating video card problem.

i`m out of ideas.

i guess i`ll go for a new card.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

The EPL certainly look bloated in the photo.
                                      Those are polymer too so they are either major junk or there is something serious wrong with the card.

You may be suffering from the nVidia defective GPU fiasco.
                                      I use on-board video most of the time so I can't tell you much about that other than it exists.
                                      [Some other people know the whole story though..]

You might try replacing those EPL with something like Panasonic FM and cross your fingers.
                                      It's a shot in the dark but it might work.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      -

Comment

do you think the 16 v caps are bloated too (the middle size)? i didn`t replace those. the small ones look fine, they are also 16 v with 100 uf.

Comment

Working...
                                        X