Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 8800 GT with bad caps, i think

The one on the right maybe.
    Given the bloated ones I wouldn't trust any of that -brand- to be good on that board.
    Either a bad batch or something happened on/to the board that they couldn't handle.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

i can't believe it, I CAN BELIEVE!!!!!!!!! I FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have replaced all capacitors (except the small ones) the shorted transistor and I cooked the PCB again just in case, and it worked.

I still cant believe it!!!!!!!

Thanks PCBONEZ thank you very much.
      Last edited by letterpost; 04-18-2011, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Did you cook it with the caps off?
        Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

yes, i just leave the caps I was gonna replace.

the only problem now is i cant put back the cover of the heatsink, the new caps are too big and i cant get anything smaller here, maybe if i put them in the back of the PCB it will fit back in. I´ll see how it goes.

for now is 1:21 hs with same overclock and no cover.

Comment

CONGRATS:

Hey, I found the data sheets...

Bottom of this page mentions "Samcon-Elcon"
            http://www.tw-elcon.com/en/index.php

Which takes us here...
            http://www.samcon-hk.com/
            To see the data sheets...

EPL is here:

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

well, samcon electrolytic cap is exactly what i got.

i think is this.

i couldn´t found caps for the 16 v 180 uf so i replaced them with 16 v 220 uf samcon. all electrolytic.

yes, "they said i was maaaaaaaaaaad, but it works.... It WORKS!!!!" the board now is my own frankenstein. lol

anyway, achieved 10 hs overclocked on atitool. but after that sometimes i experienced some suddenly screen black out and must reboot. thats strange because that only happend when the pc is in use and the atitool full on. i think it maybe the thermal die monitor shutting down the gpu for extreme temp. works fine overloaded with atitool but can´t handle any more windows work. seems the driver i use is not compatible with the atitool i got because i cant see the temp, happened before.

perhaps the problem is the cover out of the heatsink, do you think it will be the same if a install the caps in the back side of the pcb? that way i´ll have room to put the cover back on and maybe the heatsink will work as it should.

Comment

Originally posted by letterpost View Post
                do you think it will be the same if a install the caps in the back side of the pcb? that way i´ll have room to put the cover back on and maybe the heatsink will work as it should.
                If:
                ... You have room for the caps that way
                ... You make sure to get the polarity right
                ... There is enough of a solder pad there
                then it should work.

Caps in your photo are EPL series, not EEZ.
                That's why the say EPL on them.
                If you click on 'products' in the page I linked to it brings up this.
                http://www.samcon-hk.com/Products.as...on=next&page=1
                Their caps list is 9 pages long.
                Last edited by PCBONEZ; 04-19-2011, 07:22 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

Hi pcbonez,

I see what you saying. please have patience, i´m not an electronic engineer, i just like this but it is hard.

I choose EEZ on the link because that is what it looks like the one i got, but i really dont know for sure, all i know is it is not solid elcon EPL and it is not solid at all, i´ll take another look to the cap to see what it is. in the store i showed them the card and ask for something to replace those.

So if the black out problem is because of the diference in the specifications of the caps or in the transistor im pretty much in the same place, just with one step forward. i had 2 more black outs since the last post and NOT using the atitool. my next try will be replacing the drivers (unlikely), if that doesnt work I´ll give a shot to the link you give me here in argentina.

One think that keeps me thinking is why it hold ten hour at full load on the atitool without a blackout, and using it i just got 2 in less than an hour.

another chance is a bad cooking. lets see.

Again, thanks for your help and patience, i really appreciate it.
                  Last edited by letterpost; 04-19-2011, 09:01 AM.

Comment

When you say EEZ you mean some you say in a store??

Look up the old caps in their data sheet.
                    You want caps with the same or less ESR.

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

I mean in the store, the only caps they got in there were those that i put in the card, no matter ESR, those were the only ones, in others stores is the same the only thing that changes is the manufacturer but same values for the caps

anyway nevermind, i found the problem, is the transistor and i don´t think i would be able to found a replacement here.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                      X