"WC" brand capacitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"WC" brand capacitor

In a Powerman FSP235-60GT PSU, there was some "WC" branded capacitors; HG series. The "W" resembled the stylized Westinghouse "W".
    Attached Files
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: "WC" brand capacitor

Not familiar with the brand, but I'm cynical enough to think that "WC" indicates its quality and where it belongs.
    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Not familiar with the brand, but I'm cynical enough to think that "WC" indicates its quality and where it belongs.
      Yes, unfortunate choice of name... hopefully it stands for "Wicked Capacitor" or something.

Comment

I found these toilet "WC" capacitors in a 250Watt FSP PSU

-

No signs of bulging however.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenos
          I found these toilet "WC" capacitors in a 250Watt FSP PSU

2 Pictures

No signs of bulging however.
          Correction: It's from a Power Man (Rebadged FSP) 300W Power Supply FSP300-60GT
          Last edited by Phenos; 08-28-2007, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Wow I saw one of those caps on a monitor I recapped and I replaced it just because I didn't like the looks of it.

Sometimes when troubleshooting I get gut feelings like when I was repairing a ballast supply on an Infocus X3 a few days back. I replaced the faulty caps and I felt that it wasn't going to work.

So I go and plug it in and what do you know it didn't work . I missed a few bad semiconductors so I replace them I felt confident and it worked.

Trust your gut on some things you'll be glad you did.

I thought the cap was manufactured by Westinghouse.

I have recently seen them selling monitors at Target. I thought since they were so diverse in their product lines that it would not be odd if they had a capacitor line too.

WC "Whacked Out Capacitor"?
            Last edited by Krankshaft; 12-09-2007, 07:42 AM.
            Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

UK folk know what "WC" means.
              PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
              To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

"vent" on the capacitor usually means crap

Comment

Haha yeah I guess that takes up some extra text space that needed to be filled.

I remember when someone said that the brand of a capacitor was vent .
                  Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

WC=westinghouse capacitor?

I have 2 westinghouse monitors. 2 LCM 22w3's. Both working fine for me.

Anyways, a quick search on google shows nothing about westinghouse making small capacitors. They do however sell rebranded Gentac large capacitors, big ones used in transformers and such.

Comment

Nice try but no cigar.

........ Which is good... You aren't old enough to smoke.
                      Mann-Made Global Warming.
                      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                      -

Comment

i think the brand name is " crown "

Comment

Westinghouse doesn't makes anything at all. Simply put their names on anything by paying the makers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westing...poration_(1998)

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Didn't westinghouse steal the idea of A/C power from Nikolai Tesla? Im not sure, I've read something about that.

Comment

there was a choice for tesla: to sell patents and rights cheaply to westinghouse(i think he probably get no money whatosoever from him....perhaps he got something for research etc.
                              .in films there's a scene where he tores apart the contract which would grant him provisions), or to have his stuff ad-acta and forgotten...

so he decided not to seek royalties(destroyed the contract they previously made), and after that w.house made the system...and a big money on it...heh

perhaps that was just a dramatization, but anyway his mission wasn't to make money, but to bring ac to the world. so he gave westinghouse knowledge.

it was marconi who stole the radio from him.
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gugliel...atent_disputes

tesla was making logic gates in
                              "...1898, a radio-controlled boat was demonstrated to the public during an electrical exhibition at Madison Square Garden. These devices had an innovative coherer and a series of logic gates".
                              (wikipedia on tesla)

he was born some 200 miles from where i live...

he was incredibly ahead of his time...

Comment

Exactly, Westinghouse was simply "robber" and used so much license on stuff in old days
                                and still is. Now buying stuff with their "W" stuck on it and it is not their design.

RCA is no longer a company. It died out in early 2000, and now we're fixing somebody's else maker with RCA logo stuck on it.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Westinghouse may not be the manufacturer of their own consumer level (and why is that strange?) but they are in the area of Industrial products.

I've worked on Westinghouse turbine and motor generators with bearings larger than car tires.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                  -

Comment

Tesla was a business partner with Westinghouse. When the Westinghouse company went into hard times, Tesla gave away his patent rights, and died a pauper as a result. So much for being the Good Samaritan.

His business relationship with Westinghouse was not adversarial. That was with Edison. Bitterly adversarial. In the end, Edison was a salesman, Tesla an engineer.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard
                                      RCA is no longer a company. It died out in early 2000, and now we're fixing somebody's else maker with RCA logo stuck on it.

Cheers, Wizard
                                      That makes me happy since those theives at RCA stole Philo Fransworth's central ideas developed for the CRT. A very nice story indeed about corporate america crushing the little guy.

I don't buy RCA anymore all of their products aren't even worth fixing they're just disposable electronics IMO. It's like when one of those cheap 10 dollar Chinese gutless wonder PSUs die. They're not worth fixing and you just dump them.

I believe RCA is owned by Thompson Consumer Electronics any electronic device with the GE logo on it is theirs too. For sale to the highest bidder.

I believe Thompson got out of the electronics game in 07 though good riddance. I guess the consumers finally realized the crap that they put out into the market too.

But that's what you get when Yum Cha electronics uses an old name to attempt to confuse the buyer into a quality product.

The same strategy is used on counterfeit caps with good cap names on them. I believe Samxon recently had a problem with that.
                                      Last edited by Krankshaft; 11-07-2008, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Anyone ever figure out where these caps come from? Who made them?

I also have ones with 'Timax' brand all are SM series 85C types... wild guess that they are from the same place. I have a bucket of these from some industrial monitors.

All have manufacture dates in and around 1993! Not too bad I suppose considering, whatever about the 'WC' branding!

Want to check out the ESR/Impedance and ripple specs for replacements in the future.

Comment

Working...
                                        X