1 bad cap on motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 bad cap on motherboard

Hi i have a gigabyte mobo which i pulled from a pc i got given and it all looks good except one cap which was bulged and leaking. all the rest of the caps are nichicon and sanyo so they should be good but the cap thats bulged is by itself next to the cpu at the right and its a kzg cap but i wont be able to test for a while so i was wondering if its worth buying a psu to test it. the cpu is a pentium 4 (dunno what speed or anything all i know is thats its lga 755), 2x512mb ddr1 ram (samsung) and an old ati radeon gpu i think its a ati radeon x400 or something like that, i know the gpu is probably complete crap for anything these days but does anyone think its worth fixing up which means getting a psu and hard drive (i have a case)

Re: 1 bad cap on motherboard

What would you plan on using it for? I think it's worth fixing, you'd want some more RAM though. Unless you're running linux, 1GB can't do much. You'd want at least 2GB in there for Windows 7. Video card should be fine if you aren't gaming, and you can turn Aero off to improve performance. What's the model of the Gigabyte board? You want to replace ALL of the KZG, they will all fail eventually if you use the computer.

Comment

it would probably be used as a fileserver of some sort or just to test hard drives etc strangely theres only one kzg cap on the whole mobo and thats the one thats failed. all the rest are nichicon and 3 are sanyo. also if the computer works with that bad cap will it be ok to continue using it or would it just blow up eventually

Comment

the motherboard is a gigabyte ga-8i915pm-fs the bad cap can be seen in this pic (not mine but similar to the one i have ) http://cache-cdn.kalaydo.de/mmo/5/41...1215165026.jpg its the cap near the cpu socket at the left the one by itself

Comment

nvm swapped it for an asrock mobo with dead southbridge, the mobo had 2x4gb ddr3 ram and an intel core i5 which both work so all good, i now have 16 gig of ram in my pc

Comment

Working...
          X