6200tc from a FRY's FM 8440

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6200tc from a FRY's FM 8440

So, I was upgrading the video card on my dad's PC today, to take some load off the memory.

Here's a picture of the offending card.

You can see the little purple Sacon has bulged slightly. This has been in a very cramped Micro ATX PC, so it's no surprise that the little Sacon has roasted alive. It's also why I didn't see this sooner, that big Sacon FZ at the top combined with the card next to it was blocking my view. Did I mention Sacon FZ?

You're looking at the remains of a 1000 uF, 16v Sacon FZ that got quite hot due to that ribbon cable on top of it. If you look closely, you can see some of the cable has melted onto the top of the capacitor.

And here's the lovely mess the capacitor has made of the cable. And the worst part about this? The system is two years old, so A. this shouldn't have happened and B. it's probably been like this for a while, possibly ruining the card (explains why it would BSOD during shutdown too). Strangely enough, they did spring for a Sanyo next to that Sacon. Too bad it didn't do anything to make up for the rest of the crap.

Re: 6200tc from a FRY's FM 8440

Sacon can be run ice cold and it will still do this....just ask one of out LAN friends.

His rig blew up due to a Sacon FZ going BOOM on his GeForce FX 5900 back in the day. It STANK.

He had a full tower case, tons of fans, and still...BANG!

Comment

Working...
    X