Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF - 4 Beeps

Hello everyone,

I had a good working 800 G1 SFF now beeps 4 times.

What happend:

I decided to test a PCIe raid card from DELL server in this machine.

I put the raid card and at the same time put 4 pcs of 8GB DDR3L ECC RAM then powered it up.

I cant remember if it did not power up or it immediately began to make 4 beeps and red light.

I tried following things to diagnose the problem:

- Removed both the raid card and ECC Ram and put the original RAM sticks back

- Removed every device and connector besides PSU and power button/LED from the motherboard.

- Different DDR3 ram sticks and in different ram slots

- If I remove the CPU it beeps 3 times instead of 4.

- Another PSU from HP 8000 in the 800 G1 SFF

- The HP 8000 runs OK on the PSU from 800 G1!!

- Took the CMOS Battery 2032 for more than 5 minutes and pressed the CMOS button on the board.

Nothing helps. It still beeps 4 times.

Did NOT reflash ROM yet. Everything is still stock.

Could the MB be fried or the firmware got corrupted?

When it beeps there is no power on the SATA connector.
    Last edited by Abu Ali; 06-22-2021, 04:06 PM.

Re: HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF - 4 Beeps

Today I flashed firmware from HP´s website. No difference.

Any suggestions to solve this problem?

Comment

As far as i can see from looking at the spec and available ram at crucial it doesn`t support ECC ram ,or buffered ECC ram ,only standard unbuffered non-ECC
      All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
        As far as i can see from looking at the spec and available ram at crucial it doesn`t support ECC ram ,or buffered ECC ram ,only standard unbuffered non-ECC
        Well, it did work with this unregistered ECC RAM:
        HMT41GU7BFR8A-PB - SK Hynix
        1x 8GB DDR3-1600 ECC UDIMM
        PC3L-12800E Dual Rank x8 Module

By the way, this RAM runs fine on my other HP 8300 Elite with i5-3470 CPU.

Something went wrong when I put these components together in the PC:

1) Dell PERC H310 PCIe Raid Controller
        2) Micron 8GB PC3L-10600R MT36KSF1G72PZ-1G4M1FI ECC Registered RAM 2R4.

This HP 800 G1 has i7-4570 CPU.

Both the i7-4570 and i5-3470 does NOT support ECC, but they seem to use the ECC RAM without ECC support.
        Last edited by Abu Ali; 06-25-2021, 04:54 PM.

Comment

I took the BIOS chip out of the board, made a backup and reflashed from HP website.

It did not any difference.

Same 4 beeps.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu Ali View Post
            I took the BIOS chip out of the board, made a backup and reflashed from HP website.

It did not any difference.

Same 4 beeps.
            i posted a request for same machine problem you got...the only difrent was i had no beeps...only fan spin high...without cpu install i had beeps...first thing you most consider is these machines are old so the common problem with mainboard and power suplay is they have bad caps...not usual phisical one you can see they seems all ok but when you messure them they have more than 10 percent liking..specialy caps around cpu zip socket...my machine had i5-4590...i replaced and overhald all caps on mainboard and psu...even i reflashed bios still no change till the time i replaced cpu...i5-4590 was the problem...you can read what i did on my post i send a mounth ago...before you replace the caps i told you about first thing to do is checking your cpu then reflash the main bios with the one i send with my post...if problem solved now you most change all caps specialy the mainboard...good luck and sorry for my bad english.

Comment

Originally posted by soso technician View Post
              i posted a request for same machine problem you got...the only difrent was i had no beeps...only fan spin high...without cpu install i had beeps...first thing you most consider is these machines are old so the common problem with mainboard and power suplay is they have bad caps...not usual phisical one you can see they seems all ok but when you messure them they have more than 10 percent liking..specialy caps around cpu zip socket...my machine had i5-4590...i replaced and overhald all caps on mainboard and psu...even i reflashed bios still no change till the time i replaced cpu...i5-4590 was the problem...you can read what i did on my post i send a mounth ago...before you replace the caps i told you about first thing to do is checking your cpu then reflash the main bios with the one i send with my post...if problem solved now you most change all caps specialy the mainboard...good luck and sorry for my bad english.
              Thank you. I will try to find a pentium processor and test.

Comment

The PC was stored for a while, now it is totally dead. PSU is OK.
                Its now going to recycling/parts.

Comment

4 bleeps? That might be a unique Foxconn RAM bleep code, like a Dell Inspiron 530S that was sent to me first back in 2011, (socket 775) (Pentium E2180, IIRC)
                  when it suddenly for no apparent reason stopped accepting dual-channel mode and would fail to boot with 4 bleeps-pause and repeat. Or randomly, it would fail to boot with turbo fan-syndrome. Then by 2016, it was like the problem wasn't there, WTF!
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I'll put this up here for posterity sake, as I'll probably have to refer back to this myself in the future.

I had a 800 G1 SFF unit present with 4 beeps y'day, and according to the POST codes, that is a bad flash. I took a backup of the BIOS and flashed the L01_0278.BIN file from the HP BIOS update (https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp103...0/sp103785.exe). After a few reboot cycles to init the ME etc this worked fine. It was obviously missing all the DMI data from the motherboard though.

On this unit, you can use the HP Bios Configuration tool to edit this data (https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp107...0/sp107705.exe). The L01_0278.BIN flash comes with the "Manufacturing Programming Mode" unlocked so you shouldn't have any issues writing to the BIOS. In this case I needed to update Product Name, SKU Number, Chassis Serial Number, and Asset Tracking Number. All of these values are on the label on the lid, rather than trawling through the dump looking for them. You can either set these with the /setvalue switch individually, or dump out the config to a text file, edit and reimport with the /setconfig switch. HP setup the permissions for this folder that prevent you from saving the text file after editing, so you'll have to edit the permissions etc to do that.

The embedded Windows product key can be found by doing a search on the your original BIOS for MSDigitalMarker. Each character is seperated by a null, so this has to be removed when transferring it back via the config utility. When you copy this in HxD, it replaces the nulls with �. I copied this into the config text file I created under MS Digital Marker and removed the nulls manually. Its a fairly lengthy number like this:

010000000000000001000000000000001D0000004E593243472D4D375652542D36324350322D51393738512D57514A4D43

After editing, ensure you have a 98 character string at the end of it. You can load it to BIOS via the text file or manually.

BiosConfigurationUtility64.exe /setvalue:"MS Digital Marker","010000000000000001000000000000001D0000004E593243472D4D375652542D36324350322D51393738512D57514A4D43"

(Edit: the forum is inserting spaces in this number for some reason. There should be no spaces within this number)

Lastly, the onboard Intel I217-LM network adaptor won't be working. The driver loads, but status is "operation failed". This is because the MAC address is missing in the Gbe block of the BIOS. This can be located at base address 1000 to 1005 in the original dump. I found that this also needs to be copied to base address 2000 to 2005 as well, otherwise you get an error that the NVM is corrupt.

Don't forget to lock the MPM after your finished

BiosConfigurationUtility64.exe /setvalue:"Manufacturing Programming Mode","Lock"
                    Last edited by reformatt; 09-16-2021, 07:10 PM.

Comment

I only have one comment on this it looks like it complicated to do and to me might be just easier to get another mother board

But thank you for posting this information so I know if I have this issue I what is going

I have several HP 8300 elite computers
                      Last edited by piernov; 09-26-2021, 12:01 PM. Reason: remove full quote of previous post
                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                      1 Dell Mother Board
                      15 Computer Power Supply
                      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Working...
                      X