No announcement yet.

Help to identify this gtx1060 6gb graphics card that I am having an issue with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help to identify this gtx1060 6gb graphics card that I am having an issue with

Hi everyone.

First post here so sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I am just after some help with this gtx1060 6gb colourful graphics card. I can't get it to work. The fans spin and when plugged into the board without the cooler on it the GPU gets warm. But I can't get any memory details or any display out of it. I'd say something in the memory or even bios might be dodgy but all of the videos and photos I have found on the web the 1060 components look totally different to this card which is what makes me think that it might be a cheap copy. It could also just be a cheap 1060 I'm not sure. Anyone seen this before or had the same issue with a card before?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 09-01-2021, 01:45 AM.

Re: Help to identify this gtx1060 6gb graphics card that I am having an issue with

Looks close to this one:

https://en.colorful.cn/product_show....id=102&id=1779

Aren't there any stickers on it?

Maybe it was meant to be sold in OEM computers so it is not listed on website...

Comment

Re: Help to identify this gtx1060 6gb graphics card that I am having an issue with

Have you checked if all the voltage rails are present?
      Follow me on YouTube
      ------------------
      Learn Electronics Repair
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Comment

Sorry for the slow reply i havent had a chance to get back to it until tonight.
        Thanks for your help. It seems that it is a genuine card that was intended for OEM builds, it just looks totally different to your run of the mill cards. So far i have only checked for shorts and it seems to be ok. i will power it up shortly and test powers. Then will try a bios flash if all checks out. Tech power up has some info on it but no pictures of the components and because the black boxes for the memory and the core look totally different to all the youtube videos that ive watched so its a bit daunting to learn on. Just hard to get my head around it at first. But hey jump in the deep end and see if you can swim right haha.

Comment

So ive had a quick chance to check some voltages and i have no voltage on my memory VRM or caps. What supplies these? i have 1.8v down in that area but not on the orange pads (power?) or at the vrm so it seems that its not turning the memory on.
          The core is getting 0.8v on those vrms
          i have 12v, 5v, 1.8 and 1v present around the card.
          Any ideas on what powers the memory vrms? there is a small component that is labeled 1adpj in that area in the bottom right near the fan header but im not sure what it is either

Comment

Hi Woody
            I don't know this specific card but usually the Vram VRM is located very close to the Vcore VRMs - so normally you have a row of coils on the various phases of Vcore and then one or two generally near the top edge of the PCB which are Vram

As you have measured Vram is not present, I assume you know which inductor coil(s) are generating that supply rail, so it should not be too difficult to figure out which Mosfets and which controller they connect to.

It's quite possible that Vcore is being generated from the 12V on the 6 pin socket, and Vram is being generated from 12V on the PCIe - and you may have a fuse blown here

This link shows where 12V on the PCIe is
            https://pinouts.ru/Slots/pci_express_pinout.shtml

Basically it is the first 3 pins on the PCIe 'fingers' on the component side of the board

What is the resistance, Vram to ground? Often this is around 60 - 120 ohms
            If it is really low like 10 oms or something similar you have a fault on Vram
            Follow me on YouTube
            ------------------
            Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Hi Dicky

Thanks for your response. Also I love the YouTube channel it has been very helpful.

I have measured the vram coil and it has 0v I'm not sure where it gets its power from or the power flow from 12v to getting to the actual memory unfortunately.
              Does the power flow from the coil (big black box) to the MOSFETs and then onto the vram? What usually powers the coil and what voltage should it get? Unfortunately I'm armed with a little bit of knowledge but not enough just yet

I have however found what looks to be a missing component on the back of the card. It is component lb501. In the gp104 gtx1080 diagram it says that it is a 30 ohm ferrite bead. So I have ordered some of those. I will have to wait a week or so before the turn up.
              I'm still not convinced that this will fix the issue though

As for the resistance the memory coil measures 99 ohms. But the vcore is 0.3 ohms (0.1 is short on my meter)

I have added some photos for some clarity. The top two red lines have 0v and the bottom one is 1.8v. Sorry for my drawing quality on my phone

Thanks again all for your help
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi woody - that's so nice of you

The "buck" regulators on a gpu or motherboard are actually synchronous regulators

I covered this topic in detail here
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lFGwJwN_Xo from 15 mins 45 to the end

and continues here from the start of this video
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2Xbuek2GNs&t

Also this video covers the synchronous (buck) regulator circuit in some depth

How to test a VRM
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8TudEfD2Ao

I hope that helps you understand the circuit better

There will (or should) be 12V coming into the high side mosfets. Once you watched the above videos you should be able to determine if it is present, and where it should come from

Rich
                Follow me on YouTube
                ------------------
                Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Hi Rich

Thanks for the information, It has been most helpful.
                  It seems that I am missing my gate signal to my high side mosfet for my memory. I have 0.02v going to the gate where as the same mosfet (same part number) on the Vcore has a bit over 1v at the gate. So I now have 0.02v going to the actual vmem rather than 0v. So progress has been made with the ferrite bead haha.
                  My issue now is, I need to identify which component is the controller for the vmem high side mosfet. I have a Generic schematic and it has a part number for the controller in it but unfortunately nothing matches up for this model of card. Would you be able to point out to me which component the driver for the mosfet is by having a look at the photos? Id be happy to take more if needed.

Thanks, Kurt

Comment

Working...
                  X