Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Standard Vizio Power Supply DPS-167DP

Originally posted by mrios80 View Post
    Hello everyone....hope that you are all well...Brand new to the forum scene so please feel free to put me up to date on any rules that I might not be aware of. Digital_Dad ...was wondering if you ever got your issue resolved...and if so, how? By no means am I an electronics guy....just a basic DIY guy. I have the exact same power board and same IC that blew out.

Thank you in advanced
    Hello!

Check out my full post on this issue where I fixed mine:
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=81634

Comment

I'm trying to repair the 056.04167.0001 board as well. I took some electronics courses ~20 years ago in my HVAC repair through the military, so I'm pretty rusty when it comes to this stuff... but in my testing I have zero continuity on the D801 diode, it does not have any reading at all so I believe it is bad, but help me out here. First off, I think I should at least be getting SOME reading on this diode. Second, What replacement do I order for this? It has LT3 MU written on it, but I haven't found ant information about this. I'm attaching a picture with this diode circled in red from an image I found elsewhere on this thread.
      Thank you
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
        See my updated post #4.
        Main filter cap is C800A.
        Look at the spec sheet of the IC, it shows which pin is the S pin.
        You are working in the hot deadly side of the circuit so you need to at least plug the TV into the GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) and do not touch anything on the board with yours hands or body.
        I know that this is a little of topic but I have a reason for asking this question and if you comment on this question I will explain why I brought this up

Will this work on a device that does not have a ground wire to the outlet I just asking the question because my understanding is if there is no ground connection this GFCI circuit might not work correctly

Because when you are doing the earth grounding test for a grounding rod sometimes it will not trip the GFCI if you have a real good grounding rod ( testing ) a connection now if you have a poor grounding rod ( testing ) connection yes it will trip most of the time the GFCI circuit this test is done with a incandescent light bulb in the circuit
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-13-2021, 02:55 AM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply
        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
          Will this work on a device that does not have a ground wire to the outlet I just asking the question because my understanding is if there is no ground connection this GFCI circuit might not work correctly
          Yes because GFCI does not measure the ground wire at all.
          It measures the relationship between phase and neutral and if they are different (according to the spec on the unit, i.e. 20mA) then it trips.
          It does not matter where the current travels to, as long as it is not to neutral it will trip.

Originally posted by DoakDesign View Post
          I'm trying to repair the 056.04167.0001 board as well. I took some electronics courses ~20 years ago in my HVAC repair through the military, so I'm pretty rusty when it comes to this stuff... but in my testing I have zero continuity on the D801 diode, it does not have any reading at all so I believe it is bad, but help me out here. First off, I think I should at least be getting SOME reading on this diode. Second, What replacement do I order for this? It has LT3 MU written on it, but I haven't found ant information about this. I'm attaching a picture with this diode circled in red from an image I found elsewhere on this thread.
          Thank you
          Yes the diode should test ok on a meter.
          I don't know if schematics are available but it looks to be on the primary side so maybe a bog standard 3A diode would work...
          Last edited by Per Hansson; 03-13-2021, 05:05 AM.
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by DoakDesign View Post
            Thank you
            Are you using DIODE TEST on you meter to check it or just a resistance scale? as it is unlikely to be open. What is wrong with the power supply? What voltage do you measure across C800a?
            Last edited by R_J; 03-13-2021, 11:22 AM.

Comment

You might this interesting in some testing of GFCI outlet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlM6PE2kKVY
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
              10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
              6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
              1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
              25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
              6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply
              1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
              2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
              All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Working...
              X