Sony KDL-40NX711 Vertical Roll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony KDL-40NX711 Vertical Roll

I picked this TV up over a year ago. At the time it had no power. I swapped out the power supply and it fixed the issue. I gave the TV to my parents and they've been using it ever since, until a week ago.

The TV when turned on immediately has a vertical roll. I assumed a bad main board and ordered one from ShopJimmy along with a TCON in case I was wrong. They both came in and replacing both has not fixed the issue. I have cleaned the LVDS cables and the ribbons as well. I do have 12 volts across the TCON fuse.

Can the panel going bad cause a vertical roll?
    Attached Files

Re: Sony KDL-40NX711 Vertical Roll

cut the lines on tcon ckv1/ckv2/ckvb1/ckvb2/stv

Comment

I would remove the flat cables from the T-CON Bd to the panel one at a time and view the picture to see if it's the left or right side causing the double image and jump. Actually I couldn't determine those cables from the pictures. The side that shows the fault...that is the side to cut the lines as suggested by koka0011.

Comment

12V across the fuse? or do you mean 12V at both ends?

Comment

12V on both side of the fuse.
          Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

12v on both sides of the fuse. I am at work right now. I'll try unhooking the ribbon cables one at a time when I get off.

What will cutting those line on the ribbon do?
            Last edited by SHADOW3277; 02-09-2017, 03:14 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

NO...DO NOT CUT LINES ON THE RIBBON....the lines I refer to are on the Source/Driver Bd.

Comment

Unhooking the right side ribbon cable (from the back view) clears up the picture on the other half. Unhooking the other side changes nothing. I am not following on the line cutting. I see the ckv1/ckv2/ckvb1 on the tcon. What and how am I supposed to cut? Sorry I am still learning all this.
                Attached Files

Comment

Bump. Can you guys tell me what exactly I am supposed to cut and how?

Comment

OK...So your problem is on the right side. Look at the right side cable lock/jack on the T-CON Bd and see if you can find CKV1/CKV2 and etc. Post a clear picture of both sides as the Left side may be labeled and the right side not labeled or vice-versa......No need to cut any thing. We may be able to use stationery tape to 'cut-off' the signal lines.

Comment

I can see ckv1/ckv2/ckvb1 on the left side but not the right. Here are the pics.
                      Attached Files

Comment

OK then.... on the right flat cable........ we do a trial and error now....taking a piece of stationery 3/4" tape cut along enough length to insulate that portion of the tip of the ribbon cable so as to prevent contact between them but continue to make contact with the rest...slip it in the slot and lock it....the Left side still connected....turn on the TV and see if there is a difference.....Keep moving the tape accordingly in different positions until you hit the 'sweet' spot.....and the picture is normal again.....I usually start from one end and continue to the other...It takes some time to remove and replace the tape and try it on...but you'll get there...GOOD LUCK.

Comment

Andrew - After a lot of trial and error with the tape I've got clear picture (mostly). On the left side of the picture I can see some vertical lines and you can see where they end when you transition to the right ( the left side is darker than the right). Is this the best I can expect or should I keep trying to get it better. I've attached a pic, not sure how much it helps.
                          Attached Files

Comment

you should be able to get it pretty much perfect. I wonder if your tape is too wide. it only needs to be about 1/4 inch wide and placed all the way on the left or all the way on the right of the tconn ribbon.

Comment

Congratulations!!!!...You have done extremely well!!!...Yes it is very time consuming and yes the 3/4" tape could be too wide...look at where the edges of the tape rests....you may just have to go one or two gold fingers to the left or right...It takes a lot of work but when you reach that sweet spot...you'll feel really great.....

Comment

Success! I cut the tape in half the picture is no longer darker on the one side.

Thank you everyone that weighed in to help!

Comment

Can you post a screen picture of the completed repair for other to see the final results.
                                  Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Working...
                                  X