Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most recent garbage find....

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    Yes, bumped a 5yr old thread only to update it... The HDD in this machine died again a couple months ago...I finally got around to fixing it. I replaced it with a SATA SSD this go-round. It also uses soDIMM's. I got curious and replaced the 2x 2GB modules with 2x 4GB modules, just to see if it could run that much...all the official online documentation says 4gb is the max. Well, they lied. 8gb runs flawlessly. I also abandoned WinXP on it and went with win7 pro, as the BIOS is SLIC'd. I was using this machine in my workroom...but when the HDD did the click of death, I replaced it with a Zotac Nano I320 fanless micro box & monitor, which will stay in place. This one will be re-appropriated for something else.

The 8gb of ram & SSD with a nicely tweaked win7 install, it runs very nice.

<----- Posted from this 5yr old trash can find!

looking as sharp as it did the day you got it

Comment

Ohh, and no....XP isn't an upgrade to Win7, its a GODSENT!!
      I also abandoned WinXP on it and went with win7 pro
      You sell-out!
      Lol, just joking with you TC. By the way, what is the Micron tower on the right side used for? We used to have lots of those Micron PCs with Pentium II and Pentium 3 CPUs back in middle school. I didn't know much about computers back then, but they seemed to be built pretty solid from what I remember.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post

You sell-out!
        Lol, just joking with you TC. By the way, what is the Micron tower on the right side used for? We used to have lots of those Micron PCs with Pentium II and Pentium 3 CPUs back in middle school. I didn't know much about computers back then, but they seemed to be built pretty solid from what I remember.
        I backed off the Win7 hatred after SP1 came out, that really cleaned it up...and with classic shell, its very nice! I must admit, I really grew to love the aero+classic shell combo.

That system is a supermicro X6 platform. Dual Paxville @ 2.8 w/ 16gb RAM. It's the last remaining netburst system in my fleet, and the only dual core netburst processors.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

I backed off the Win7 hatred after SP1 came out, that really cleaned it up...and with classic shell, its very nice! I must admit, I really grew to love the aero+classic shell combo.
          Yeah, TBH, I don't mind Windows 7 that much either. It more than likely will be my go-to OS when I need to upgrade my hardware to newer stuff sometime in the future. For now, most of my junky PCs have 1 GB of RAM (or thereabouts), so they are better suited with XP. And I still like the classic shell in XP just a little better than the classic shell in 7. They are similar, but I feel that XP classic is a little closer to the Win95/98/2000 look. Small things really, but you know how hard it can be to break old habits (double-right-clicking on a taskbar button to close an item in XP is one of them for me... IDK why they removed that in Windows 7).

That system is a supermicro X6 platform. Dual Paxville @ 2.8 w/ 16gb RAM.
          Ha, what a sleeper! Fooled me for sure.

It's the last remaining netburst system in my fleet, and the only dual core netburst processors.
          It's still more than decent, though - at least RAM-wise.

Comment

Just another little footnote to this system....as Asus swears the only procesor it will run is the pre-configured T6600 2.2GHz 800FSB C2D....well we'll just see about that....since the CPU isn't hard mounted to the motherboard, its a nice purty pink socket-P!! Researching the Intel PM45 Express chipset revealed it supports 1066FSB and C2Q processors....The C2Q CPU was quickly ruled out, as the die config of the C2Q and the proprietary heat spreader & heatpipe of the system would not play nice with eachother....so I took a $40 gamble on a C2D T9900, the fastest C2D 1066FSB mobile processor available... Well it worked like a charm. POST'd right up @ 3.06/1066, and booted into windows without issue. I pasted the die nicely with some AS5, the T9900 doesn't run any hotter than the T6600, go figure. That was a nice upgrade with the faster FSB speed and larger caches....and now this machine is maxed out. Long live the C2 platform, and may this workhorse run another 5 years!!
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

mos likely it didnt run anything else from the factory.
              asus has a habit of adding newer cpu's into the bios updates.

something i wish all company's did!

Comment

Re: Garbage Find: Asus ET2203T - T9900 & Memory Upgrade

I naturally put the lastest BIOS on it before I started. I had no trouble upgrading this little baby. For what it is, its damn snappy with the SSD, RAM, and CPU upgrades, 3 small things that made a HUGE improvement. I even fixed the thread title to reflect the mods, if anyone else out there has one of these machines and wants to get a little more use from it.....google will point them to this thread.

FWIW, I got this thread from 6 pages down to 2 after removing the OS arguments & bickering....
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Hello just asking a question on your Asus AIO.

I know some one with a slow AIO pc.

The hard drive a 3.5" is a Toshiba DT01ACA100.

Crystal disk info "Caution"

AMD Radeon HD 8550G
                  AMD a8-5550M

asus all in one PC
                  Model: ET2221A

What do I do to speed it up and make it better. The internet was slow, had a USA time clock and not the UK, it is used in UK.
                  How do I replace hard drive to SSD.
                  Last edited by Fast Alpha; 11-20-2018, 05:25 PM.
                  http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg305.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Fast Alpha View Post

AMD Radeon HD 8550G
                    AMD a8-5550M

asus all in one PC

What do I do to speed it up and make it better. The internet was slow, had a USA time clock and not the UK, it is used in UK.
                    The drive is failing. You're going to want to swap out the failing HDD for a new SSD, and reinstall Windows and all applications back onto it.
                    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

AMD Radeon HD 8550G
                      AMD a8-5550M

asus all in one PC

I don't know about the ET2221 versus the 2203, but the 2203 isn't fun to disassemble. Lots of tiny screws.

Yes a SSD will make the world of difference, also check and see if RAM & CPU can be upgraded (like the 2203 could be). I didn't know the UK used a different clock than the US....

FWIW, I tossed S2K12 R2 on this machine, carved into workstation mode.....it runs awesome!
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

How do you open this computer up and replace the hard drive Topcat?

Also Acronis True Image WD version does not detect Sandisk SSD from the bootable media of Acronis.

https://www.asus.com/uk/support/FAQ/1012002/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmhZ0ytpruw is this how?
                        Last edited by Fast Alpha; 04-08-2019, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Looks like the Core 2 Duo T6600 is a laptop version of a Core 2 Duo E4500.
                          (2.20 Ghz)
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

" Also Acronis True Image WD version does not detect Sandisk SSD from the bootable media of Acronis."

Acronis True Image WD will recognize a WD drive. I ran into that issue a few years ago. Any True Image (drive mfr) edition must have at least 1 drive by that manufacturer.
                            Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

So a WD laptop hard drive in a usb caddy will it work. detect the sandisk SSD.

Sandisk is made by WD.

What about the paid version of Acronis, will that detect the SSD.
                              Last edited by Fast Alpha; 04-10-2019, 12:16 PM.

Comment

So a WD laptop hard drive in a usb caddy will it work. detect the sandisk SSD.

Sandisk is made by WD.

What about the paid version of Acronis, will that detect the SSD.
                                Try this, worked well for me in the past when I've swapped hard drives to solid state drives.
                                https://www.easeus.com/backup-utilit...g-windows.html

Comment

is that laptop CPU upgradable or soldered in? I find most AIO's are soldered, but sometimes medium-level ones are replaceable. T6600, Socket, Socket P

if the 7 series works you could get a T7700

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core2...8AAOSweRlas8FV

or maybe T7800

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...T7800&_sacat=0

Might be able to take a 1066 fsb chip because the PM45 chipset supports it, in which case you could get up to some serious T9xxx series
                                  Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                  ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                                    is that laptop CPU upgradable or soldered in? I find most AIO's are soldered, but sometimes medium-level ones are replaceable. T6600, Socket, Socket P

if the 7 series works you could get a T7700

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core2...8AAOSweRlas8FV

or maybe T7800

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...T7800&_sacat=0

Might be able to take a 1066 fsb chip because the PM45 chipset supports it, in which case you could get up to some serious T9xxx series
                                    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...3&postcount=25

Already covered that one.
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

Oh I looked didn't see that post. Doops

Yeah they're both 35w tdp, one won't run any hotter, but it will stay at the higher threshold longer
                                      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

@Topcat, I have the same model Asus (except that I wasn't lucky enough to find mine--I paid $800 for it). It's three desktops old at this point but I can't bear to part with it. It's useful for watching Netflix. I did the same CPU upgrade that you did, and I upgraded the wireless card. It's running Windows 10 64-bit but it chugs. I also found (miraculously) a 4GB SoDIMM for less than $20 that will put the RAM at 6GB total (won't be fully dual channel but better than just 4GB for now).

The real issue has been the hard drive. I have tried in vain to upgrade to an SSD but had no luck.* The chipset doesn't support AHCI.**

I see that you were able to upgrade to an SSD. Which model SSD did you use? Are you using the Enhanced or Compatible controller setting in the bios? Finally, did you use an F6 driver during Windows setup?

This is my first post on the forum here--thanks for all the great info! And for allowing me to respond four years later to your post from five years later, haha.

*link: **********

**link: ******************
                                        Last edited by SMDFlea; 05-07-2023, 08:20 AM. Reason: removed dead win-raid links

Comment

Oops... wrong link above (and I can't edit my post). The first link should be:

*link: https://linustechtips.com/topic/8887...ergic-to-ssds/

Comment

Working...
                                          X