Motherboard Not Turning On When Connecting Hard Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motherboard Not Turning On When Connecting Hard Drive

I have a motherboard DA0R53MB6E1 from HP Pavilion g6 which I changed the BIOS chip and reprogrammed with file DA0R53MB6E1 REV E.bin which I downloaded from HP website. Now I have video and keyboard working, but when I connect HD is not turning on. If I disconnect it, turns on again. I also notice that the BIOS interface is very minimal and it does not look like the usual BIOS interface. It is UEFI, and I think my laptop, which I purchased back in 2013 does not support it. I could be wrong... when I boot motherboard without HD I get "hard disk (3F0)" message on boot up screen
    laptop hp pavilion g6-3231dx
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Zentech; 04-17-2021, 11:03 AM. Reason: attachment

Re: Motherboard Not Turning On When Connecting Hard Drive

Disconnect the hard disk and configure your bios to have no hard drive in this box. Save and exit.

Before this change, keep a copy of your configuration so you know the drive parameters. Just take a pic.

Does this message go away on the next power up cycle?

From the shared details, the bios is expecting a bootable hard drive but this hard drive is missing. Sounds logical if the drive is out of this box.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
      Disconnect the hard disk and configure your bios to have no hard drive in this box. Save and exit.
      I access the bios but it doesn't have the information pertaining storage devices eg: hd. What I did was to disable booting from cdrom, hd in the boot order. I saved changes and still has the message on screen. if I connect it will not turn on...
      Last edited by Zentech; 04-17-2021, 12:33 PM.

Comment

will it boot to diagnostics ?
        tried another drive yet ? or tested drive in another pc ?
        will it boot live linux from cd or usb to diagnose ?
        maybe try ubcd cd or usb stick and see if it can be fixed like that ..
        you said it isnt uefi so disable it if possible .
        Last edited by petehall347; 04-17-2021, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
          will it boot to diagnostics ?
          No, it will not turn on, no video at all... If I only connect the hd cable it will give video, so I know is not the cable.
          tried another drive yet ? or tested drive in another pc ?
          I tested the drive in another pc and did not show up in Disk Manager; I did connected a good hard drive and again it will not power on. If I have the computer on with the menu screen and I connect the hd it will shot it off. tested this with both hard drives... weird, never seen this
          will it boot live linux from cd or usb to diagnose ?
          yes, it will boot into ubuntu linux live usb...
          what sort of diagnostics can I run from a live usb?
          maybe try ubcd cd or usb stick and see if it can be fixed like that ..
          you said it isnt uefi so disable it if possible .
          I did disable UEFI, by enabling legacy boot, but still same results..

Comment

Its the cable which is bad-most likely. Getting display with the connected cable doesnt mean the cable is all good as its not connected on the other end with hdd.

Comment

Working...
            X