PCs aren't extinct! (version 2.0)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCs aren't extinct! (version 2.0)

Clearly, the years 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 were the "PC malaise era"!

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...t=48153&page=2

I noticed things were much better in 2019 and even now in 2020, with the new coronavirus, things are much better!

2018 was shit, because of the insane video card prices!
    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-04-2020, 07:50 PM.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Re: PCs aren't extinct! (version 2.0)

The first month of CV19, I sold every laptop I had. Month 2 of CV19, I'm into the desktops....and still selling.

I've been advertising a "work from home special"....base model starting @ $199 with upgrade options.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

I got super creative on January 3, 2020, I suddenly found a bunch of new goodies in stock at the West Lebanon, New Hampshire Best Buy and got everything for my first Ryzen build!

I didn't need to get a PSU or SSDs, because I had them already.
      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-04-2020, 08:04 PM.
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Yep with Ryzen pushing innovation and helping get intel off its ass its never been a better time to build. on the laptop front AMD has the amazing 7nm ryzen 4000 series, now you can get an 8 core laptop for under 600 bucks I think credit should be given to AMD for revitalizing the industry.

BTW also watched pirates of silicon valley tonight, I can recite the movie line for line and watching it as an 8th grader I give it credit for fueling my interest in computers.
        My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Meh, I wouldn't go as far as say 'revitalized'....the golden era of the desktop is long gone and won't come back.....you can thank the micro devices for that. There is certainly a demand for 'big iron' systems still; servers, workstations, and the niche crowd (gamers). Massive CPU power isn't a big necessity amongst the average user these days.... The average user can do just fine with the I3/I5 AIO, 8gb RAM and a SSD.... Anything faster or more expensive, they wouldn't notice the difference other than their wallet being a little lighter...upgrading would yield no real gains....other than, well, their wallets being a little lighter....
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
            Meh, I wouldn't go as far as say 'revitalized'....the golden era of the desktop is long gone and won't come back.....you can thank the micro devices for that. There is certainly a demand for 'big iron' systems still; servers, workstations, and the niche crowd (gamers). Massive CPU power isn't a big necessity amongst the average user these days.... The average user can do just fine with the I3/I5 AIO, 8gb RAM and a SSD.... Anything faster or more expensive, they wouldn't notice the difference other than their wallet being a little lighter...upgrading would yield no real gains....other than, well, their wallets being a little lighter....
            There was a marketing term somewhere went something like "The PC is at the center of your digital universe" So I guess the Golden area is gone in that sense, where many people use a smartphone UGH as there main device or a tablet. I feel constricted using a smartphone and don't understand how some people can stare down at it all day like a zombie.
            My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

If people think that a good PC era isn't in the works, then why do I see a lot more gaming gear than I had in a while?

I remember that in the early-2010s, the West Lebanon, New Hampshire Best Buy hardly had squat for PC stuff, IIRC!

Why were there so many hardware supplying issues back in the early-2010s and possibly a bit before the 2010s? This includes the insane HDD prices in 2011 and likely 2012? Yes, I know that there was a flood in Thailand, where many HDDs are from.

The computer industry, is the most gaming-industry-driven that I saw in a while! Albeit both gaming and heavy-computing in general. I'm seeing lots of stuff in stock that are of course overkill for an "office machine".

Yes, there are a lot of rookies/noobs that will buy a POS PSU and a POS motherboard...
              Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-04-2020, 09:28 PM.
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                If people think that a good PC era isn't in the works, then why do I see a lot more gaming gear than I had in a while?

I remember that in the early-2010s, the West Lebanon, New Hampshire Best Buy hardly had squat for PC stuff, IIRC!

Why were there so many hardware supplying issues back in the early-2010s and possibly a bit before the 2010s? This includes the insane HDD prices in 2011 and likely 2012? Yes, I know that there was a flood in Thailand, where many HDDs are from.

The computer industry, is the most gaming-industry-driven that I saw in a while! Albeit both gaming and heavy-computing in general. I'm seeing lots of stuff in stock that are of course overkill for an "office machine".

Yes, there are a lot of rookies/noobs that will buy a POS PSU and a POS motherboard...
                I agree preach it Randy! Remember the good ole days of FRYS ECS motherboard CPU/COMBOs the cpu with the ecs board was cheaper then just the cpu at most places and the motherboards were usually huge turds with GLORIOUS OST CAPS and beautiful PURPLE PCBs what more could someone want!

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
                  I agree preach it Randy! Remember the good ole days of FRYS ECS motherboard CPU/COMBOs the cpu with the ecs board was cheaper then just the cpu at most places and the motherboards were usually huge turds with GLORIOUS OST CAPS and beautiful PURPLE PCBs what more could someone want!
                  Of course, I was talking about a lot of stuff in stock that are likely made better than that. They usually use caps that aren't so failure prone, except for PSUs that are less than gold-rated, especially bronze-rated PSUs, AFAIK.

In fact, you need to watch out for some pre-builds. I saw some marked-up cheap-ass-looking PCs. They didn't look as well made as Dell tends to make their PCs.
                  Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-04-2020, 09:51 PM.
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Me of all people would love to see a PC rebirth like it used to be....but sadly it's just not reality.

When I started (early 90's), if I quoted $4000 for a custom build, it didn't scare the buyer away. Quote $400 today and see what happens. The gamer crowd (niche crowd) has always been a driving force, that has never ceased....and it won't cease....but that alone isn't even close to being enough market share to create some big PC bubble to start building... Businesses still use PC's.....but 'big iron' (custom builds), not so much....they want mini PC's and AIO's....and most of all, cheap. What they use their PC's for, a Ryzen would yield them nothing....you don't need that kind of power for invoicing, spreadsheets, and web browsing.

I really hate being the 'negative nancy' with this one....but there's not a big PC rebirth on the horizon....I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am....but FWIW, I'll be one of the last to give up my monster workstation!
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

they want mini PC's and AIO's....and most of all, cheap. What they use their PC's for, a Ryzen would yield them nothing....you don't need that kind of power for invoicing, spreadsheets, and web browsing.
                      True, if it's a place like HCRS, LOL! HCRS has a bunch of SFF PCs, the last time I checked in the main HCRS building. (tiny boxes)

Sure, I don't expect it to be near exactly like the days you're hoping for, but it sure is better than 2012-2016!

If anything, it looks like it's the coronavirus that's causing Best Buy to close!
                      Sadly, despite what you said above, it looks like I'm being forced back into e-tailers again. So it will feel more like 2015, but not because of an artificial crisis this time, AFAIK!
                      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-04-2020, 10:32 PM.
                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

In fact, you need to watch out for some pre-builds. I saw some marked-up cheap-ass-looking PCs. They didn't look as well made as Dell tends to make their PCs.
                        BTW, the PCs I were talking about at Best Buy, weren't from Dell. The Dell ones tend to be better in build quality, at least noticeable in the cooling department.

"iBuyPower"?=I would at least change the PSU pronto, it you get a PC from them!
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

BTW, the PCs I were talking about at Best Buy, weren't from Dell. The Dell ones tend to be better in build quality, at least noticeable in the cooling department.

"iBuyPower"?=I would at least change the PSU pronto, it you get a PC from them!
                          lol funny you mention that, our school bought some ibuypower computers for their esports gaming class and they had a 6 core i5 i think with RTX2060s in them and they were powered by some shit 500w non active pfc power supply, one took a dump already so I had them buy a evga 500 watt basic supply.

Comment

2018 was shit, because of the insane video card prices!
                            2021 update:

Back to that kind o' shit again, FFS!

I saw a scalper selling a Radeon RX580 for $700-something! That's at least as insane as the fuel prices in Sweden! (easily $9 per-gallon!) If not worse!
                            Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 02-05-2021, 03:58 PM.
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Sales of PC's has tapered off, back to what it was pre-covid. By next summer, cv19 will be in the history books and the US will be back at work until the current political structure tanks the economy (yes, it is coming)....but that won't bring the PC back either. It was fun while it lasted, but the little burst of PC sales is done.
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

Video card prices are dropping! The first-half of 2021, really sucked poops!

But, still needs to get a lot better, before we consider it back to all-normal!
                                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Video card prices are dropping! The first-half of 2021, really sucked poops!

But, still needs to get a lot better, before we consider it back to all-normal!
                                  They need to. I'm guessing it was some crypto-currency boom that caused this, but when new GPU's are selling for x2 their MSRP, and used ones are going for exponentially what they *should* be worth, that's nuts!! I guess it's typical 'supply & demand', but holy shit!!
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

Sales of PC's has tapered off, back to what it was pre-covid. By next summer, cv19 will be in the history books and the US will be back at work until the current political structure tanks the economy (yes, it is coming)....but that won't bring the PC back either. It was fun while it lasted, but the little burst of PC sales is done.
                                    Covid won't be history. Like the flu, it's staying. Delta is already taking mrna effectiveness down past 60%. Further mutations will make things worse. Not as bad as it was, but it won't be going away
                                    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                                      Covid won't be history. Like the flu, it's staying. Delta is already taking mrna effectiveness down past 60%. Further mutations will make things worse. Not as bad as it was, but it won't be going away
                                      It might not go away completely but like the flu it will get to a point where it is "normal" and people "learn to live with it" (if it hasn't gotten there already). Not long ago we lived with smallpox, polio, measles, etc. before effective vaccines were created and "the world didn't come to an end".

The media is still trying to milk COVID for everything they can get (like they do any story, especially the "doom and gloom" ones), but very few people I know (I realize this isn't exactly empirical evidence but it is my experience) give a shit anymore, even the ones who had been cautious earlier on.

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
                                        It might not go away completely but like the flu it will get to a point where it is "normal" and people "learn to live with it" (if it hasn't gotten there already). Not long ago we lived with smallpox, polio, measles, etc. before effective vaccines were created and "the world didn't come to an end".

The media is still trying to milk COVID for everything they can get (like they do any story, especially the "doom and gloom" ones), but very few people I know (I realize this isn't exactly empirical evidence but it is my experience) give a shit anymore, even the ones who had been cautious earlier on.
                                        This 100%.
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                        X