Compaq presario cq71 won't boot to windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compaq presario cq71 won't boot to windows 10

This is my personal laptop that I did to defrag,cleanup etc. It will now not boot to windows with 2 errors I keep getting. I tried to repair with a ios image from vista,but I pressed install then quickly cancelled it,since then had these to errors and tried lots of recovery programs with no joy. File not found anywhere I have tried.
    Error: file: \boot\bcd with error 0xc000000f

Thanks

Re: Compaq presario cq71 won't boot to windows 10

Download Windows 10 and create a USB stick https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

The instructions are here on how to repair the BCD. https://www.ghacks.net/2018/02/05/ho...n-windows-pcs/

You can't fix Windows 10 with Vista.

Comment

BCD will not repair. I keep getting access denied with win 10 on usb in CMD.
      Attached Files

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          Is your smiling emoji mean your happy about the failure or did you hack me

Comment

You should specify the drive to run the command against.
            It is probably trying to run it on the virtual X:\ drive now...
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
              You can't fix Windows 10 with Vista.
              LOL...I didn't think Windows10 could be 'fixed' at all....
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Motherfinboard View Post
                Is your smiling emoji mean your happy about the failure or did you hack me
                i'm happy that you now have the opertunity to UPgrade to win7 or Linux

Comment

Upgrade to win7 is 10 that bad?. I was on 7 it was the free upgrade to 10 I was using. What about security issues in win7 if no longer supported.

X drive was the only option opening in CMD,any idea how to boot to C drive to fix mbr

Comment

You just switch drive, i.e. by typing C:
                    You can check the available disk letters in diskpart with the command "list volume"
                    And you should because it is very likely to be different from what you expect in the regular Windows environment.
                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Will take a look at that tomorrow thanks. I'm sure I got access denied there too in c drive

Comment

Still access denied in drive C: I did find a command to fix boot without access denied,but once pc reboot same issue again.
                        Also the other error now showing is winload.exe and also cannot seem to repair this either.

Comment

i think it looks like the hard drive may be failing and causing all sorts of errors. hope u backed up all of your data before this...

Comment

Unfortunately no,photos yes, but will loose programs and some files that are not that important. Will try getting some data back once I remove it and fit the new SSD drive.

Comment

Check RAM and/or possibly try running PC with a different stick of RAM or maybe even just one stick at a time.

I've seen Windows not load and get stuck with "XYZ file not found" because of bad RAM.

Faulty HDD is another possibility, though if you've over-written the file and still get the same error, then the HDD is probably not the issue here.

Comment

It all started after a disk cleanup/ defrag. I pulled the battery out half way through the cleanup as I left it over night,so not as to constantly charge it and just left it on DC power. Wouldn't boot next morning and mistakenly thought vista repair would correct the boot,it didn't and I then hit install on vista and quickly stopped it. Never been able to get it back on since. Before this the HDD was tested in crystal disk and gave warnings it was failing,hence me getting a SSD drive to fit.

Comment

looks like defrag killed it to me . you might be able to save the files .

Comment

Yeah I think so to. Will try get some files back once I remove it from laptop.

Comment

maybe your "vista fix" overwrote some system files with older ones from vista!

i know the m$ repair disks (DaRT) do that, they update/overwrite a bunch of system files incase of corruption.

Comment

There seem to be a lot of variables to what could have killed the installation.
                                        I think it's time for a fresh install and transfer of old files (if possible.)

Don't feel bad, though. What TC said is probably right: Win10 can't be fixed anyways.
                                        At least that seemed to be the norm when I was a return stock tech at a computer store here a few years back. If Win10 misbehaved, just reinstall it.

Not like XP and 2K, where I've literally taken files from other installations, copied them over, and BAM, working OS again, lol.
                                        Last edited by momaka; 07-11-2020, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X