This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Win7 updates for upgrading to Win10

Microsoft has moved to a monthly Rollup update model for Win7 and Win8.1 systems. This is the same model they're using for Windows 10. I just received these updates. Are these Rollups to be trusted?

October, 2016 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework....(KB3188740)
    October, 2016 Security and Quality Rollup forWindows7 x64 based systems (KB3185330)

Thanks in advance.

Comment

simple answer? no.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
        Updated the OP with: KB3161647 Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: June 2016

This update contains some improvements to Windows Update Client in Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. This includes the following:
        An optimization that addresses long scan time for updates that's reported on some computers.
        Fix for a Windows Update error 0x8007000E on some computers while they are updating.
        Some reliability improvements.
        It's included in the June 2016 update rollup for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (KB3161608) linked within that article.
        Did a fresh install of two Win7 SP1 machines this weekend.
        One with a regular Win7 SP1 x64 disc.
        The other with my custom Win7 SP1 x64 disc where I've added: NVMe driver, Intel USB3, "SP2 Rollup" and it's prerequisite: KB3020369.
        The update I mentioned in my above quote has been pulled due to issues and been superseded by the July 2016 update rollup for Windows 7.
        Now as MS continually updates these I thought it would work fine to take the newest one for October 2016: KB3185330
        But no sir! Windows Update took forever and never found any updates.
        So on the other machine I manually installed the July 2016 update.
        It worked fine, after this I looked what version wuauclt.exe had.
        It was at: 7.6.7601.23453
        Now imagine my surprise when I checked the other machine which I had installed the October update on, it had an older version of this file!
        So I installed the July update ontop of the October one, thinking this could lead to no good as it's an older update.
        But lo and behold: wuauclt.exe got updated to v7.6.7601.23453 and the update search completed in just 2 minutes!

Now things get even stranger because in the revised July 2016 KB3172605 update there is this text:
        "The July 2016 update rollup for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 was re-released on September 13, 2016 to address an issue in one of the included updates and to improve the overall reliability of the update rollup."
        But when you go to the download page for this file you see: Date Published: 7/21/2016
        Imagine my surprise when I checked on the Windows Catalog site (requires IE) there is this: Last Updated: 2016-09-12
        Yes it really is different vs the one on the main download site! Sigh...

I hope this answers theDoctor's question above: MS really has no idea what they are doing any more!
        And I should add this update to my custom disc before I forget about it again!
        Last edited by Per Hansson; 11-07-2016, 12:34 PM. Reason: Added info about September 13 update to KB3172605
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Per, I've gotta say, I admire your patience and diligence to make sense of what these updates do and actually come up with a solution. Microsoft seriously ought to pay you for finding these workarounds/fixes.

Comment

Problem is they do not even want to listen no less pay someone to tell them why they are failing.

Comment

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/16/10...essors-skylake

"You Vill Buy Windows 10!"..believe me..
              "If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way."
              -Napoleon Hill

"The chip that functions abnormally will be desoldered, as they say."
              -Charles Stross

"Why is it you're always too small or too tall?"
              -The Mad Hatter

Comment

Originally posted by LENOVO-A880 View Post
                http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/16/10...essors-skylake

"You Vill Buy Windows 10!"..believe me..
                What's next? A update that will implement a timebomb?
                Main rig:
                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                16GB DDR3-1600
                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                Delux MG760 case

Comment

it justs boosts Linux users.
                  if it's "never 10" and they intentionally make the chips underperform on 7 then it's the only option remaining.

(yes, Goontron, i know i missed BSD and OpenSolaris etc. )

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                    it justs boosts Linux users.
                    if it's "never 10" and they intentionally make the chips underperform on 7 then it's the only option remaining.

(yes, Goontron, i know i missed BSD and OpenSolaris etc. )
                    I'll just say this: It looks like M$s plans for WaaS is coming to fruition.
                    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

LINK: https://www.lewrockwell.com/2016/08/...osing-privacy/

In case if you don't know..Windows 10 sucks our data into its database. The Windows 10 agreement is clear:

Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to :

1: comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies;

2: protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone;

3: operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or

4: protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services – however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectualor physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer's private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement.

continued --
                      Last edited by LENOVO-A880; 12-24-2016, 11:34 AM.
                      "If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way."
                      -Napoleon Hill

"The chip that functions abnormally will be desoldered, as they say."
                      -Charles Stross

"Why is it you're always too small or too tall?"
                      -The Mad Hatter

Comment

Originally posted by LENOVO-A880 View Post
                        LINK: https://www.lewrockwell.com/2016/08/...osing-privacy/

In case if you don't know..Windows 10 sucks our data into its database. The Windows 10 agreement is clear:

Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to :

1: comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies;

2: protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone;

3: operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or

4: protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services – however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectualor physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer's private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement.

continued --
                        Yeah,then M$ (and moar $$$) can go jump a cliff. Ubuntu is going to be a nice replacement for when 7 support dies.
                        Main rig:
                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                        Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                        16GB DDR3-1600
                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                        FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                        120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Sounds like Intel and Microsoft shook hands on a shady deal under the table to try to force the world to buy their products. I guess, fuck them both then. Maybe this will be an opportunity for AMD to continue making CPUs that are both backwards compatible with Windows 7 and still able to keep up with modern requirements. Linux is another decent alternative, I suppose... but frankly I think it too (especially Ubuntu) have gotten a bit too fat with the latest versions (in terms of resource use, that is.)

So I guess, and stockpile them old Windows XP and Windows 7 -compatible PCs. These will be the last from a generation when a personal computer (PC) was actually a personal (and a computer... imagine that. )
                          Last edited by momaka; 12-24-2016, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                            Sounds like Intel and Microsoft shook hands on a shady deal under the table

they did that before.
                            AMD sold 64bit cpu's long before intel did.
                            and m$ refused to sell a 64bit version of windows until the intel 64bit cpu's were available.
                            the good news is that Linux had 64bit versions from day1

Comment

Microsoft nauseates me these days....and I've been a staunch MS user/supporter from back in the MSDOS days up through Windows 7.
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                              http://folding.stanford.edu/
                              Team : 49813
                              Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

Sounds like Intel and Microsoft shook hands on a shady deal under the table to try to force the world to buy their products.
                                Hint: It wasn't under a table, but under an "ivy" covered "bridge," near "sandy" shores. Not far from "devils canyon," in the middle of which is "kaby lake."

I guess, fuck them both then. Maybe this will be an opportunity for AMD to continue making CPUs that are both backwards compatible with Windows 7 and still able to keep up with modern requirements. Linux is another decent alternative, I suppose... but frankly I think it too (especially Ubuntu) have gotten a bit too fat with the latest versions (in terms of resource use, that is.)
                                ubuntu sux, especially...

As for intel-hell, I can't support a company that recently invested heavily into "smart cars" (oh, it's us who are dumb?!), even while AMD's parts are inferior on an IPC/watt/core basis. Zen better be freakin' special; otherwise it'll "encourage" intel to stay the course.

The recent hype-fest over Zen beating a top-end I7 is questionable. While they at least took the GPU out of the equation by using an NVIDIA one on both test systems, those whom have downloaded the model AMD used to test/compare both systems say there's a descrepancy between "real world" results and those AMD achieved in their demo.

Hopefully, the model run on the Zen system wasn't optimized vs the one for the I7, since I welcome a return to the AXP days with intel backing down. No better time, since the AMD970/990 (and beyond) has matured (no more VIA hell) and quad-channel DDR4/5 is a reality. AM3+ is a dead end.

So I guess, and stockpile them old Windows XP and Windows 7 -compatible PCs. These will be the last from a generation when a personal computer (PC) was actually a personal (and a computer... imagine that. )
                                The curtains were drawn on the "windows" since "my computer" became simply "computer." Whose computer ???
                                "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                                Originally posted by shango066
                                All style and no substance.
                                Originally posted by smashstuff30
                                guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                                guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
                                  ubuntu sux, especially...
                                  I must confess, Ubuntu (16.04.1) is the first time I've set up Linux as a desktop OS in probably 10 years. They've made leaps & bounds making it look nice and making things work right. Linux to me in the past was nothing more than a command prompt....but using it as a desktop OS, its like learning to walk all over again for some of the simplest tasks & settings. For example, theres no fucking setting to adjust the mouse pointer speed....WTF....if there is, I haven't found it. Then there's the simple task of accessing the file server over the LAN....

FWIW, firefox runs nicely....this post was created by a non-Microsoft OS.
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

if you use KDE, the mouse settings are in there.
                                    i'm sure gnome has them some place.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                      they did that before.
                                      AMD sold 64bit cpu's long before intel did.
                                      and m$ refused to sell a 64bit version of windows until the intel 64bit cpu's were available.
                                      Wasn't Intel also in a lawsuit before for making some deal with HP or Dell to sell their CPUs exclusively? (Or something along those lines?) I can't remember.
                                      I also remember back in the Pentium 4 days that Intel cheated on some of the benchmarks to show better numbers for the P4 chips than the AXPs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an AMD fanboy or Intel hater, but I think AMD has always been more friendly to their customers, whereas Intel seems to be behaving a bit like Microsoft: our way or the highway... but a lot more subtle, of course.

Hint: It wasn't under a table, but under an "ivy" covered "bridge," near "sandy" shores. Not far from "devils canyon," in the middle of which is "kaby lake."

Yeah, could be that too.

Hopefully, the model run on the Zen system wasn't optimized vs the one for the I7, since I welcome a return to the AXP days with intel backing down.
                                      Yeah, that would be a nice change in the game. I think I still have a few mags somewhere back from 2005-2006, with benchmarks inside showing how many top-of-the-line Pentium D still couldn't outperform even a mid-range AMD Athlon 64 X2, even though the Pentium D was using almost twice the power.

The curtains were drawn on the "windows" since "my computer" became simply "computer." Whose computer ???
                                      lol
                                      Yup. XP's calling back home was a mild annoyance compared to schemes that Windows Vista and 7 introduced. So for me, XP is the last version of Windows that is actually worthwhile. Windows 7 is okay and works... but it's not the same. Still, that might be the last MS OS I use. I haven't found a need to "upgrade" to it yet. If only my scratched XP disks could talk, you'd get an idea of how much I still use them.

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                      Linux to me in the past was nothing more than a command prompt....but using it as a desktop OS, its like learning to walk all over again for some of the simplest tasks & settings. For example, theres no fucking setting to adjust the mouse pointer speed....WTF....if there is, I haven't found it.
                                      Indeed. From what I've been reading online, it indeed has come a long way. And if you need a basic surfing machine, Linux can do all of that very nicely. Then there are even distros like Zorin, which I hear is supposed to feel very much like using Windows.

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                      Then there's the simple task of accessing the file server over the LAN....
                                      I tried to make a Linux home file server about... 7-8 years ago (or possibly more), and after a day or reading tutorials and failing, I just put Windows XP, enabled file sharing of the folders I wanted, and that was that. Haven't given Linux a try since then.
                                      Last edited by momaka; 12-25-2016, 01:17 PM.

Comment

there are cut-down distributions pre-configured for file server / media-streaming use.
                                        probably the mostwell known is freenas

Comment

It was ok on a test PC....which was a slimline HP I had on hand. AMD 5600+ w 8gb RAM. Tomorrow will tell another tale, v14.04 on a G5 PPC 2.1GHz with 2GB ram. OSX 10.5 is pretty useless today, ubuntu 14.04LTS is still well supported....so yea, worth a try.
                                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                          Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                          X