• Show
Clear All

Sony XBR-49X900E - is this salvageable?

I obtained a Sony XBR-49X900E with the following behavior:
    -Powers on
    -No Smart Core led code
    -Backlight on when TV powered
    -Display shows breathing/moving green blobs on a black background

Using the service manual, I decided to replace the TCON and see any changes. After replacing TCON the following behavior presented itself:
    -Powers on
    -Smart Core alternating orange/green pattern infinitely
    -Display fully black

Following some threads I found here, I tested the following options.
    -Disconnecting the TCON from main board resulted in static vertical color strips on display
    -Attempting to flash firmware via usb was non-responsive (unable to verify any changes due to lack of display)

Here is where the title question comes into play and my major failure. I attempted to check power to the TCON and either misread the service manual or was sloppy with my probes. When checking, I definitely bridged something, caused a spark and likely damaged some other components. The following behavior now presents itself:
    -Powers on
    -Smart Core alternating orange/green pattern infinitely
    -Display black when TCON connected
    -Display no longer shows vertical color blocks when TCON disconnected

My intuition tells me I murdered the main board, which is causing the lack of color blocks when TCON disconnected. My main concern is that I killed the panel which would make any repair basically impossible. Any assistance in deciding future steps, advice, or general knowledge is greatly appreciated. First time repairing TVs so this has been a fun experience, but my overconfidence may have killed me.

Re: Sony XBR-49X900E - is this salvageable?

see if you have 12 volts on each side of tcon fuse, neg probe on chassis ground.

Comment

can you post good clear straight on pictures of each board, one of the whole back to see how everything is connected and a close up of exactly where you were testing when you had the mishap.

Comment

if you can get back to alternating orange/green pattern, Nick's has some methods here to try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kYPjIHt8Lc

Comment

this is probably the worse model to have to deal with for your first try, hope you have luck with it.

Comment

check the bl-err pin on the powerboard connector, check it in standby[tv plugged in but off] and check it with tv powered up, what do you get? black neg. probe on chassis ground pos. probe on bl-err pin.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
              see if you have 12 volts on each side of tcon fuse, neg probe on chassis ground.
              Both the new and original TCON have 0.06v on either side of the fuse when I tested just now

Comment

can you post good clear straight on pictures of each board, one of the whole back to see how everything is connected and a close up of exactly where you were testing when you had the mishap.
                Here are all the photos. I did my test on the connecting block out of the power board, trying to hit the bottom lead, which I think is TCON_VCC12V from the manual. After looking at this again, I think I may have just bridged the 12v to the next door ground.
                Attached Files

Comment

check the bl-err pin on the powerboard connector, check it in standby[tv plugged in but off] and check it with tv powered up, what do you get? black neg. probe on chassis ground pos. probe on bl-err pin.
                  Could you give more direction on where to locate the pin?

Comment

Last edited by nomoresonys; 05-20-2022, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X