Sony Bravia KDL-70W850B T-CON board / software update issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony Bravia KDL-70W850B T-CON board / software update issue

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me with this issue before I give up on this TV.

In short, I replaced the T-CON board due to an error code indicating that was the problem, after which it flashed a green and orange LED meaning software update required. I cannot get the tv to do the required update via USB, so I am stuck.

Here is a rundown of the symptoms and the steps I have taken to troubleshoot:

I inherited the TV with the symptom that it would turn on, then turn off after 5-10 seconds and a red LED flashed 4 or 5 times. Sometimes it would be 4, sometimes 5. According to the service manual, 4 flashes means likely bad LCD, 5 flashes means likely bad T-CON. Before it shut off, it had picture and sound, would display an input running through HDMI and no lines or dead pixels on the screen. It looked fine and remote functions worked, but it just shut itself off.

Thinking the LCD was probably good (since it turned on and looked great for 10 seconds) I suspected the T-CON. I tried unplugging the LVDS cable from the T-CON and it would stay on, have backlight and sound, respond to the remote and not give any error. With the T-CON plugged in and the ribbons to the LCD disconnected, it still gave the flashing red LED error codes and shut off. From this I deduced a bad T-CON was likely and ordered one.

With the new T-CON board, the TV flashed an alternating green and orange LED, which I understand means the software needs to be updated. No picture appears. I've read every thread and watched every youtube I could find on this issue, and I cannot get the TV to update. I've tried 2 different USB sticks, formatted several different ways, with different versions of the firmware all with the same result. Here is what happens when I try to do it:

If I turn the TV on with the USB plugged in, it flashes orange and green nonstop and won't do anything else.

If I hard reset it (hold power and volume up then plug in), the LED turns blue. After that if I unplug it and plug it back in and wait, it will come on, flash the white LED (apparently this is what it does when the update is working) but stop after 3 flashes, pause, then flash 7 more times, then stop. After this, the USB starts flashing intermittently but stops pretty quick. Nothing else happens after this, and when I attempt to power it on again it reverts to the green and orange LED.

I've tried these steps many times, and left it overnight with both the green/orange and white LED sequences. Nothing works.

If I put the old T-CON board back in, it will turn on briefly again just like it used to. It also won't run the update with the old T-CON.

I don't have the firmware from the Sony website, because they seem to have made it unavailable. I've found it on several third party sites instead.

All I've found on this issue online is other people hitting the same brick wall I have with seemingly no resolution. I don't know if this is a bad T-CON board issue (maybe the one I ordered is bad or the wrong one?) or a bad software issue, or a bad main board.

Am I missing something here? Is there anything more I can do to try to resolve this? Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Re: Sony Bravia KDL-70W850B T-CON board / software update issue

Indeed, lots of similar problems I've had and seen here and elsewhere, can't solve it for some reason, can you report the voltage of the BL_ERR pin on the powerboard connector, black neg. probe on chassis ground, red pos. probe on the pin, check in standby[tv plugged in but off] then power on and check it while it's on for those 5-10 seconds, report voltages.

Comment

here's Nick's tv going over the update procedure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kYPjIHt8Lc

Comment

Thanks, I've tried everything in that video multiple times and nothing works. The only thing I haven't done is download the update directly from the Sony website, since for whatever reason they decided to remove it after they stopped updating this TV. I did find other sources and tried 3 different files, all named '00003301_04010000.bin'. I tried renaming it to 'upgrade_loader.pkg' as Nick suggested. Again, same result, flashing green and orange, nothing else happens even after 12 hours.

Does anyone have a copy of the firmware direct from Sony that they can verify is good?

Could it be an issue that I'm doing this from a Mac rather than a PC? My USB is formatted FAT32 and I've tried FAT16 and ExFAT as well.
        Last edited by eclectric; 05-23-2022, 12:26 PM.

Comment

no need to rename .bin keep it as its as its update file.. just try another flash drive how much its old and small size will be better.. and be sure its at MBR mode

Comment

Ok, so these look like the legit files? I tried 2 USB sticks, tried reformatting one as 4GB. I'll try to find some older, smaller USB's. Is there a type that is known to work for this tv?
            Last edited by eclectric; 05-23-2022, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eclectric View Post
              Ok, so these look like the legit files? I tried 2 USB sticks, tried reformatting one as 4GB. I'll try to find some older, smaller USB's. Is there a type that is known to work for this tv?
              format as Fat32 MBR mode.. if you have SDCARD hub and 2GB SD card will do the job too

Comment

I hear you, I tried everything too on a xbr65x900c, still got the orange/green flash, every time, nothing worked.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                  I hear you, I tried everything too on a xbr65x900c, still got the orange/green flash, every time, nothing worked.
                  you were had BL error high... or !

Comment

yes it was high all the time 2.3, been trying to find out what that bl-err voltage should be on a working tv but no luck, that is, what it should be at standby and when powered up.

Comment

yes it was high all the time 2.3, been trying to find out what that bl-err voltage should be on a working tv but no luck, that is, what it should be at standby and when powered up.
                      of course <=0

Comment

ok, thanks Diah, didn't know if it was suppose to be high or low power, unpower, like some voltages high is right some low is right, hard to comprehend at times.

Comment

Indeed, lots of similar problems I've had and seen here and elsewhere, can't solve it for some reason, can you report the voltage of the BL_ERR pin on the powerboard connector, black neg. probe on chassis ground, red pos. probe on the pin, check in standby[tv plugged in but off] then power on and check it while it's on for those 5-10 seconds, report voltages.
                          I'm getting .05V in standby, 1.08V while powered on. +12V and +3.3V on the power board are also normal.

Comment

Would a new main board possibly solve this issue? I don't mind throwing a bit of money at it if there's a good chance it would work. Seems awfully nice to throw away when it technically should work.

Comment

from all i read, some did fix this issue with a replacement mainboard, I think I overcooked mine and the replacement for my model was 150 or so, seems like more than the tv is worth, I'm curious if one would fix it BUT not quite that curious. :

Comment

I'm getting .05V in standby, 1.08V while powered on. +12V and +3.3V on the power board are also normal.
                                for me this reading after PS_ON send to PCB BL_ERR are high.. and i think you had never noticed BL come on since u worked on it... i would never spend any parts for it unless you are sure 100% LED BL & its circuit are fine. this same belong to nomoresonys TV.

Comment

agree 100 percent, I always try to verify backlights and powerboard first.

Comment

Originally posted by Diah View Post
                                    for me this reading after PS_ON send to PCB BL_ERR are high.. and i think you had never noticed BL come on since u worked on it... i would never spend any parts for it unless you are sure 100% LED BL & its circuit are fine. this same belong to nomoresonys TV.
                                    The backlight still comes on with either new or old tcon board. It turns on and shows full picture with the old tcon installed, sound and menus work. It shows my android box backgrounds and looks great with no lines or dead pixels... but shuts off after 10 seconds with tcon error.

That's what burns my ass... that it can work, it just chooses not to.

Comment

The backlight still comes on with either new or old tcon board. It turns on and shows full picture with the old tcon installed, sound and menus work. It shows my android box backgrounds and looks great with no lines or dead pixels... but shuts off after 10 seconds with tcon error.

with original T-CON. if you unplug BL_ERR wire from the socket.. what will happen?

did you inter diagnose mode from STB and cleared error count??

also i suggust you to messure direct on LED+ and LED- all channel at start up see if the reading are same--
                                      Last edited by Diah; 05-25-2022, 12:56 PM.

Comment

ok, does it come back on by itself after it shuts of, like on 10 seconds off for whatever time then back on for 10 seconds or it just shuts off and stays off?

Comment

Working...
                                        X