"Fried" my Vizio 550nv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Fried" my Vizio 550nv

While changing a light switch in my kitchen, I inadvertantly touched the hot and ground together in the switchbox. It tripped the circuit breaker immediately. The TV apparently shared the same circuit and was on at the time of the incident.
    The TV now , when turned on, will only show the Vizio logo screen for a minute or two then shut down. Then the vizio light at the bottom of the tv will flash from amber to white for a few minutes then goto the logo screen and shutdown after a minute or two. This repeats until it is unplugged.

I have tried the cold reset. I took the back cover off and visually inspected the boards and components and found no obvious issues. I checked all the fuses I could find and found them to be unblown.

A new TV of the same type and size will run me almost $600. A repair from a professional will run me close to $350 and only be warranteed for 90 days.

Which board should be my first replacement? Should I roll the dice and buy used ones and hope I replace the correct one the first time? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy new?

Thanks for your input in advance

Re: "Fried" my Vizio 550nv

I'm thinking, corrupted EEPROM on the mainboard?!

Comment

Thats wat i have... A fried vizio smart hdtv..E550i A0....i replaced the power supply board, it worked all of an hr and a half, and stopped working again...so i guess main board will be the next to replace.... The question i have is should i replace the ir sensor as well??

Comment

I would do some basic checks on the power supply first otherwise you will be just throwing money at it.
        Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

I agree, check the power supply first, many times the power supply will have weak caps. but as long as there is a/c power supplied the power supply will still operate. Once you remove the a/c for a while, the power supply won't start back up again. I see lots of people blaming so called power surges on their power supplies failing when it was actually ready to fail at any time.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
            I agree, check the power supply first, many times the power supply will have weak caps. but as long as there is a/c power supplied the power supply will still operate. Once you remove the a/c for a while, the power supply won't start back up again. I see lots of people blaming so called power surges on their power supplies failing when it was actually ready to fail at any time.
            +1
            TV's, satellite recieivers etc. left constantly in standby that refuse to switch back on, on the rare occaision it has lost power or been switched off to be moved is not uncommon due to capacitors in the switch mode power supply drying up.
            Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Working...
            X