"Keep losing screws"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Keep losing screws"

Do you keep losing the screws to the things you take apart?
    In my electronics room I have about 20 computer monitors, 16 flat-screen TVs,
    computers, audio equipment, etc.
    When I first take something apart I put the screws aside thinking I'll take care of them later.
    Well for some reason later never comes and I find myself spending a lot of time trying to find screws that fit.
    Dan "TV Tinkerer"

Re: "Keep losing screws"

I always put them in ziplock bags and affix them to the back plastic. I still lose the odd one, but generally only one or two, which doesn't matter too badly.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
      I always put them in ziplock bags and affix them to the back plastic. I still lose the odd one, but generally only one or two, which doesn't matter too badly.
      Ditto, or I write on the bag the model number. If I get real lazy with the panasonic plasmas the speaker magnets are a handy collection point

Comment

I have a small container with lids that snap shut. I have one fir each TV. They are kept with the set. Shipping labels for them and their remotes if provided. I also have a universal remote and. USB remote to computer for special functions

Comment

It's definitely a bad habit.

I just bought tie on marking tags for the loose circuit boards.

I should have gotten the tags years ago.

I guess I could get some zip lock bags.

The speaker magnet sounds like a good idea.
          Last edited by 120volts; 10-26-2013, 05:27 PM.
          Dan "TV Tinkerer"

Comment

I use a can opener to completely cut the lids out of sardine tins to use for temporary screw holding. I wish I could buy snap on plastic lids.

Comment

Do you eat the sardines?
              Dan "TV Tinkerer"

Comment

Originally posted by 120volts View Post
                Do you eat the sardines?
                yes, first.

Comment

In earlier days, I did admit losing some screws (and sometimes I end up with screws left over), but this has now changed - and I have a small 4-compartment lockable container for small parts for jobs from clients.
                  My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

For me the best solutions,are different plastics bags for differents screws.
                    Brazilian says "Ordem é progresso" in their flag.
                    Try the translation

Comment

I use this trick with iPhones. The bigger the screw the less helpful.

My local Spec's sells "Jello Shot containers". Small plastic cups that have lids. I bought a pack of 100, and stack them for each set of screws. When I'm done, I put a lid on the top one, and tape the whole stack together. Screws stay seperated, yet bundled together, for future installation.

Comment

I usually put the all of the screws in a plastic container from Sabra Humus. Reason I like those containers is because they are very short but with very big diameter, so it is very easy to pick out the screws I need.
                        Normally, I don't have that many things take apart or open at once, so I put all of the screws in one container. Usually have no problem remembering which screws belong to which device.
                        I don't think I have lost any screws or bolts up to date. I'm quite OCD actually, about not loosing stuff.

Many years ago, my dad took apart our toaster oven after it threw some crazy sparks and refused to work. He couldn't fix it and the toaster oven remained in the garage for a few years, all taken apart, with the screws in a half-cut plastic bottle. I then fixed it and was able to put it back together without. Granted this is a toaster oven, which isn't overly complex or anything, but still, not a single screw was missing when I was done.

Comment

When I was repairing TVs more frequently, I used to make diagrams to denote where the screws should be installed (A, B, C, etc) then I would put each screw in a bag with the corresponding label (again, A, B, C, etc). This worked pretty well. I got tired of losing screws
                          LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

I always lose one or two or have a few left over on complicated things like Laptops and LED TVs. It usually doesn't matter

Comment

I have never lost a screw I tag every one and write down where they go. Just save extras most sets have the same screws. LOL

Comment

I use spray paint can lids, that way the screws that go in the center area of the thing I take appart are put in the small cup thingy in the center of the cap. and the screws that go around the outer edge area of the thing I take apart go in the outer edge of the cap. kinda killin two birds with one stone so to speake. a place to store them and a kinda separator
                                Last edited by electrodude71; 11-09-2013, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Since I don't do allot of repair, packaging tape works for me. They stay put for the most part. Stick and play....

Comment

Speaking of screws. When you do lose them, or accidentally strip the threads like I did, where do you get hold of replacements? I'm in the uk and the screws in the hardware shops aren't like the ones I'm taking out of TVs. Is there a good place to buy screws like this?
                                    Attached Files

Comment

I have a bag of leftovers from TV's that have been stripped and scrapped. Typically, I can dig a screw out of that bag to replace a lost or damaged screw. Otherwise, I will find one as close as I can, either at the hardware store or in my leftovers, and try to place it in a spot that it won't stand out.

Comment

I do this for automotive work as well as electronics work.

I put the screws back into the holes they came from after I disassemble something. Then long screws and short screws aren't mixed up and if I don't get back to a repair for quite sometime the screws are in the holes they belong in.

John

Comment

Working...
                                        X