Ibm 300pl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ibm 300pl

Hey, I found this old IBM PC 300PL. It has intermittent problems when running, I would like to know what you think about these three Chhsi caps? I'm attaching a picture, and sorry for the abysmal quality.

They say:
    560uF 25V, WG(M), -40 +105 'C, 9846 (I assume 46th week of 1998)

I found two separate pictures on the internet of these three caps ruptured on this exact board. Except in both pictures they say 9936. And mine look intact.

But I had unpredictable problems. Sometimes it boots, other times it doesn't. The very first time I started the machine, all the fans and power LED were pulsing in unison, going in and out every second. Managed to install an OS but then had crashes and now I have video artifacts.
    Attached Files

Re: Ibm 300pl

CHHSI are abysmal craptacular caps. Replace EVERY Chhsi cap in there, even if none show any visual signs of failure.
    Main rig:
    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Re: Ibm 300pl

I replaced them but nothing changed. Although I don't have any equipment to test them. I guess Chhsi were subject to the capacitor plague in 1999.

I think the issue was the power supply I initially used, some kind of Hero Ichi brand. It probably damaged one of the two video ram chips soldered on the motherboard. I found a very similar AGP card and it works fine but I still want to fix the on board graphics. The artifacts are always the same, garbled BIOS, weird lines everywhere in Windows. Also while in BIOS, the screen seems to be "rolling" or flickering as if I was using a CRT. But that doesn't happen in Windows. I wonder if that could be a crystal oscillator?

Comment

Working...
      X