Unsoldering old Mosfets and Soldering in new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unsoldering old Mosfets and Soldering in new

I have some mosfets that I would like to replace with new ones. (They are N310AS) I bought a few new ones from Mouser. (The part number on them are NF30AB made by Fairchild)

I would like to replace 4 of them. Not sure if they are going bad or not. One of them gets pretty hot.(at least I know it did before I recapped it, you can see some of the green coating missing from the board around it) The board still works after I recapped it.
    I had to recap it, as it was dead.

My questions are, What is the best way to unsolder and remove the old ones? And the correct way to solder in the new ones? What end gets soldered first, the heat sink side or the side with the 2 legs? And what type of iron would be the best to use with what type of solder?

Re: Unsoldering old Mosfets and Soldering in new

How hot is hot? What board is that? A photo would be nice.

Comment

VRM's are supposed to get hot... Most can handle 100°C... However many mainboard manufacturers are then very smart and place caps right next to them... Err, or not so smart...

Though if one of them is becoming allot warmer than the others you might have a problem, question is, how much warmer?
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

i heat each leg and lift with a dental hook.
        once both are free i use a 60w iron with a screwdriver tip to heat the top of the tab.add a bit of solder if needed.
        when it melts i pick it up with hemostats.

Comment

That works fine for big packages (TO-263). I use 75W soldering gun.

For small packages (TO-252), never lift the legs! The legs are very fragile and can easily crack/break.

Comment

Originally posted by Rainbow
            That works fine for big packages (TO-263). I use 75W soldering gun.

For small packages (TO-252), never lift the legs! The legs are very fragile and can easily crack/break.
            If the MOSFET is being replaced, why would that matter? If replacement is being performed due to failure or degradation, the parts aren't going to be re-used on another board, so salvagable condition isn't really important.

Comment

Oh, I forgot to write that this applies when desoldering good parts from bad board. I only use mosfets from non-repairable boards as replacement as it's almost impossible to buy them new here.

Comment

i heat a scrap board from underneath and pick the parts off as the solder melts.i use a cheap heatgun.
                harbor freight has one for 9.99
                i salvage vrm ic's fets tantalums,ect.

Comment

i salvage vrm ic's fets tantalums,ect.

You must have a good success rate. Surely there are increased risks in recycling. This is an interesting isssue.
                  Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
                  Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
                  160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
                  Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                  160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
                  Samsung 18x DVD writer
                  Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
                  33 way card reader
                  Windows XP Pro SP3
                  Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
                  17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
                  HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

Reusing the components from totally bad boards is the cheapest way to fix other boards. And it can be also the best way if you get exact replacement if it's otherwise unavailable.
                    For me, the success rate is very high. You need to be careful when desoldering and then test the component that it's not totally bad (diode test on a multimeter is good way to test various components including mosfets).

Comment

What is the recommended technique for soldering the MOSFET back onto the motherboard? How you solder the flat side to the backplane?

Comment

I use old (older than me ) 75W soldering gun. I heat up the board a bit, then add solder. While still heating, put MOSFET there using tweezers. The MOSFET is cold, so the solder will harden without a proper joint - so it still needs heat. When the MOSFET gets hot enough, the solder under it will melt again - then adjust its position using tweezers and remove the soldering gun, careful not to move the MOSFET out of its place. Leave it cool down and then solder the other two pins.

Comment

Replacing MOSFETs is not too simple. First thermal shock should be avoided see this link:

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/an/5037.pdf

Low temperature solder should be used. See details of this link:

http://www.howardelectronics.com/chipquik/smdrepar.html

It would seem that a solder loaded paste is a good way to go.
                          Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                          Samsung 18x DVD writer
                          33 way card reader
                          Windows XP Pro SP3

Comment

I also have an old soldering iron. It looks like a cattle prod and gets very hot.
                            The tip is huge so it's only good for the big ugly joints, like a PSU main.
                            If I'm fast I can remove and resolder the FET's with it.
                            Jim

Comment

Yes you need to be fast. Preheating and high power soldering iron say 80W is required. But recommend solder paste when installing new MOSFET. 135F solder is not recommended for these devices, it would let go under normal conditions. Flaming obvious for some.
                              Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                              Samsung 18x DVD writer
                              33 way card reader
                              Windows XP Pro SP3

Comment

Working...
                              X