Cleaning holes in m/b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning holes in m/b

I have not worked my way through all the tips - but this is one I learned back in the 80's, replacing ICs that were soldered in place. If somebody has already presented it, my apologies.

Unsolder and remove caps using your preferred method - carefully, of course.

Get a few round toothpicks. Take one, dip the end in water, just so it is not totally dry.

It helps to have steady hands and good eye coordination, and occasionally an assistant when handling the iron around critical, sensitive parts.

Use the soldering iron to heat a component hole, from the non-component side. Have the tip of the toothpick in position and force it into the hole from the component side. You should be able to feel when that happens, and it will push against the soldering iron tip. 'Spin' or twist the toothpick a bit to help it go all the way in. Sometimes the unsoldering leaves a bulge of solder and you need to preheat before you can properly position the toothpick.

Remove iron, remove toothpick. Result should be a clean hole, ready for the new component

Re: Cleaning holes in m/b

Method good for getting food out of teeth also.
    Jim

Comment

lollerskates
      Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

I really like your input. A wooden tooth pick is cheap, disposable, does not take heat from the operation and is very unlikely to damage any via. I will certainly try it. Thanks.
        Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
        Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
        160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
        Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
        160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
        Samsung 18x DVD writer
        Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
        33 way card reader
        Windows XP Pro SP3
        Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
        17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
        HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

Just to let you know that I tried the toothpick method and wouldn't recommend it. The damned tip of the toothpick broke off inside the via and was a bitch to clean out before I could solder.

Stick to the stainless steel dental tool.

John

Comment

Working...
          X