Stainless pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stainless pick

I see a number of recommendations for a stainless steel pick to aid clearing motherboard holes. Have not seen any mention of the diameter that this should be.

I can get a stainless steel bit cleaner for solder sucker irons, but it measures 0.8mm which seems a little too thick. The repalcement electrolytic leads measure 0.6mm.

Comment please.
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
    Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
    160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
    Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
    160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
    Samsung 18x DVD writer
    Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
    33 way card reader
    Windows XP Pro SP3
    Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
    17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
    HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Re: Stainless pick

as long as it is smaller than the hole and larger than the cap lead it will work.
    stainless wont take solder without special flux that is not used in electronics so thats why we recomend ss.

Comment

I have two Epox 8RDA+ boards to recap. One is still running fine (Caps around memory modules are leaking and bulging) the other run for a while then freezes (the four 2200uF caps that are the input to the switching supply on the motherboard are leaking).I suspect that the latter is fed by faulty capacitors in the power supply causing a high ripple in the leaking capacitors.

Back to stainless steel pick. I have learnt a lot from the Bad Cap forums, however I do have a small concern about the pick method described. 1. The pick can absorb heat being of substantial mass. 2. the method of letting the solder solidify around the pick can lead to some mechanical stress in the board hole if incorrectly moved.
      I feel it would be better if a low mass pin is used and that the pin is moved in the hole whilst the solder is setting thus ensuring a loose fit for withdrawal.

I am going to try a dress making pin that is the same diameter as the electrolytic connecting wire. The pin is not stainless to my knowledge but steel is quite difficult to solder to and will be less likely to be a problem if moved during the set period. I read others have been successful with sewing needles and I am planning to press the blunt end it a soft wooden dowel for heat insulation and handling.

Will advise in a couple of days if this method is successful and any necessary modifications of process. I will test in an old board first.
      Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
      Samsung 18x DVD writer
      33 way card reader
      Windows XP Pro SP3

Comment

if you are going to use a needle. use electrical block to hold it. 2 screws per needle.

Attached Files
        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Thanks Willawake. A good suggestion and pic. Simple and easy to achieve.
          Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
          Samsung 18x DVD writer
          33 way card reader
          Windows XP Pro SP3

Comment

The Exacto set has a good pic and all kinds of cutters and scrapers.
            Attached Files
            Jim

Comment

Working...
            X