This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

If that has a Q35 chipset, it won't support a Xeon 5xxx series. http://www.delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/2/
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK, i7-3790, 32GB DDR3-1600, GTX 750 Ti, 256GB 840 Pro & 2x1TB / 1x2TB, Creative SoundBlaster ZxR, FSP Aurum S 400W
    abit IP35 Pro, Q9300, 16GB DDR2-800, GTX 750 Ti, 128GB 840 Pro & 1TB WD Blue, Corsair CX430
    HP d530 CMT, P4 EE 3.2ghz (with modded BIOS for correct microcode), 4GB DDR-400, ATI 9600XT, X-Fi, 80GB Velociraptor, 500GB WD Blue, XP SP3, Sony SDT-9000 & Seagate CTD-8000 DAT drive for ripping audio DATs
    abit BX133-RAID (recapped + SMD caps installed in processor socket), PIII-S 1.4ghz Tualatin, 768MB PC133, FX5600, SoundBlaster AWE32, 40GB Deskstar, Windows 98SE
    Depeche Mode Live Wiki

Comment

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Won a ZTE Z987 (aka Grand X Max+) for $6 at the local county surplus store. Fairly recent 6" Phablet.

While picking that up I grabbed an Optiplex 755 with a 2.93 E8300, 4 gigs ram and HD2400 for $10.

Comment

Grabbed a bargain today at carboot

Gigabyte GTX 560Ti Windforce graphics card for £2!!

Was worth the gamble and it looks to be working fine too, fitted in and installed no issues. Just need to install driver and run it through its paces perhaps heaven benchmark but looking good so far.

Stuck it into that acer predetor G7200 quad core I got a couple of weeks ago for £12

Comment

Originally posted by Compgeke View Post
          Picked up a ZTE Speed N9130 (aka ZTE Cocaine) for $7. Not a terrible phone hardware wise, just locked to Boost.

Going to be used as a webcam but hardware wise it's not bad, being a 1.2 Quad Snapdragon 410 + a gig of ram. Sadly no custom roms for it, it'd be great with CM11 or 13.
          Seriously, who would name a phone that? Well, as long as the screen doesn't crack

Comment

Best free /cheap scores to date:

LG 55LV5500 TV - bad main board, replaced - $180 my cost.
            Toshiba 50" - 50L3400U 50" LED TV - Feb 2014 Mfg Date - Free
            Xbox 360's -- $5 each, many free over the years -- bad laser assemblies/stuck DVD rom drives
            -Thomas
            I'm a hardware engineer focused on networking equipment for my day job. I void warranties and fix consumer electronics for fun.

Comment

just received an hp9000 for free . The guy said he got mad sending it for re-flowing and paying for the third time and out of desperation decided to let it go .

Now the problem i find , the Laptop was never disassembled in its whole life !! . Not one screw ,least i know . Sounds like he felt in the hands of some cheaters company .

Since he gave it to me plus a nice expensive bag , i wonder now what to do ..

Comment

reflow it
                Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
                  just received an hp9000 for free . i wonder now what to do ..
                  Trash it. The less of them in the world, the better. I'm known to cut them into thirds with a sawzall.

Or
                  Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                  reflow it
                  with a turbo torch.
                  "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                  Originally posted by shango066
                  All style and no substance.
                  Originally posted by smashstuff30
                  guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                  guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

^if it still works, use it, just know that it may be trouble.
                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

reflow it
                      Sure thing if it needs re-flowing , but what i'm thinking right now , it was a typical case of overheating (Temperature in Lebanon today is 30 to 40 c.) , and they simply abused that fact ..

First tests after disassembling and reassembling , cleaning Fan and CPU-VGA pads , it didn't turn on , not one single light .

I'm looking now for another adapter .

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
                        Trash it. The less of them in the world, the better. I'm known to cut them into thirds with a sawzall.

Or

with a turbo torch.
                        When it's HP-Nvidia's old problem , chances are 99 % it will join my scrap stock , lol ..

Comment

an adapter that outputs 800VAC?
                          Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                          Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

an adapter that outputs 800VAC?
                            Lebanon's electricity is 220 v - 50 hz . A 3.3 A is sufficient .

Comment

My friend was clearing out his cupboard and gave me his stash.
                              3PSPs, 3 PS3s, a satnav, blackberry playbook, hard drive dock, 2x sata hard drives, a couple of tablets, 2x 500w? speakers...the list goes on.., it all either works or needs minor fixing.....it's like Christmas has come early

Comment

Made a few scores this weekend on my trip to Lafayette, IN:

Salvation Army:

-Nikon Coolpix 4800: $8 with original box, case, 1 battery, 2 chargers, mini tripod, and a 2GB SD card. It's old, but the battery seems good and I needed another SD capable camera for work (my Panasonic dmc-lz2 died and my dmc-lz5 is nowhere to be found). It's somewhat compact and has a good zoom function (good for work where I sometimes need a picture from a distance).

Purdue surplus:

-HP (foxconn) Displayport to HDMI adapters: $1 a pop, NOS. I figured my main rig's video upgrade project may require such, and they had a box of them. I grabbed a couple just in case

-JVC S3901U S-VHS player: $10, no remote, somewhat beat up condition. It's a bit consmetically rough (gouges on top and bottom) but it does work and ebay says these things are worth about $85. I already own two S-VHS players, and this is a 3rd. Pictures:

What I like about this unit is that being a late model, it's compact and shallow. This means it fits on the upper shelf of my desk (where it is hooked to my TV tuner), something which I couldn't say for my old RCA.

Gee, and I though Mockingbird was an S-VHS fanboy... (to be fair I bet he uses his more than I use my three).
                                Attached Files
                                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by mikay786 View Post
                                  Gigabyte GTX 560Ti Windforce graphics card for £2!!
                                  Just had a dejavu moment of this yesterday - I found a eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti for $10 at a yard sale. Knowing these go for at least twice that on eBay right now, I grabbed it. Still haven't tested it yet, though. But the owner said it was working when they last used it before upgrading. Let's hope so.

Also, a few weeks back, I got another penny-worthy (literally, I paid only $0.01 if you don't count the shipping) video card: a WinFast Geforce 4 Ti4400. Had a few bad GSC caps, but still worked okay due to parallel solid caps. Of course, I have changed most of the offending GSC caps for the time being (though a full recap... and thread here... are still awaiting).

It may be an old AGP video card, but it's still quite decent (for AGP), IMO.

Comment

paid £30 for one of these:
                                    http://www.tek.com/datasheet/wvr500

now i can find out EXACTLY why some old equipment works with a crt but looks like shit on an lcd panel.

Comment

Took a gamble on a Dell monitor described as only half of the screen works on ebay.
                                      Won it for 99p, turned out to be a U2711b.
                                      I stripped it down, reseated the cables and it works great, just need a dual link DVI cable for it to appreciate the resolution correctly. 2560x1440.

Comment

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

A friend of mine (along with his cousin) gave me these for free:

-fake Beats headphones that need fixing
                                          -Natec Genesis P10 controller - literally a USB version of the first PS1 controller,without analog sticks
                                          -256MB Captiva USB pendrive - made on ALi chipset o__O
                                          -2GB ADATA DDR2-800 stick - need to replace my mobo as the 945P chipset sees only 1GB out of 2
                                          -512MB Kingmax DDR2-667 stick
                                          -WDC WD800BB 80GB PATA HDD - had a XP install on it,didn't bother erasing it.
                                          and for the shocker:

-400W Delux ATX-400W P4 PSU - shocker is,this is one of their Sun Pro built units.

I actually recapped the Delux,much to people's surprise,as I had a gutted Deer unit in my parts box. Does anyone know where can I find some decent heatsinks for this? Doesn't look that bad (I don't really care about EI-33 transformer),and I've got some good parts to reuse from that Deer. (for example a pair of 250v 470uF NCC KMQ from 1995 that still work and some moar stuff) As for heatsinks - the problem is that none of the usual heatsinks I have fit in this Sun Pro. Will post some shots later.
                                          Main rig:
                                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                          Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                          16GB DDR3-1600
                                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                          FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                          120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Working...
                                          X