help me find a suitable soldering iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help me find a suitable soldering iron

I need to buy a new iron... I'm told on here that a grounded tip is necessary. Any suggestions? I need it to be $50 or under. Thanks!
    Ludicrous gibs!

Re: help me find a suitable soldering iron

Here's my suggestion, though it's not under $50 unfortunately: http://www.hmcelectronics.com/cgi-bi...duct/1980-0043

I don't know if it's absolutely necessary for the tip to be grounded, but there is risk attached to using a non grounded iron around static sensitive devices. Best to use a grounded one. I've done a fair bit of soldering around static sensitive stuff with my old non grounded Radio Shack iron, but I accepted the risks in doing so. Nothing dead because of it yet, but sooner or later it'll probably catch up with me.

I'll be using a borrowed 60W non grounded one on my motherboard in a couple weeks, but I'm upgrading anyway so it won't be too much agony if the iron ends up killing the board. If I had the extra money I'd run out and grab one of these Wellers myself, but the capacitor order is lightening my wallet too far already. The Radio Shack needs replacing though, so sooner or later I'll have one.
    Last edited by Oklahoma Wolf; 01-22-2006, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X