Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bga Pads Lift Repair.

Hi Guys

I want to know that there is some way where i can fix lifting pads on the motherboard, or it can't be repaired.
    The Night Drop Down, I Will Keep Try Until..., You Never know.
    Dushi Kòrsou, Nos Tei.

Re: Bga Pads Lift Repair.

Unfortunately, it would be extremely hard to fix this. Basically, it is just about nearly impossible.

-Ben
    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
      Unfortunately, it would be extremely hard to fix this. Basically, it is just about nearly impossible.

-Ben
      Thank You ben7, for your reply, reason why i ask is because been hear story about conductive paint, but i dont know that it work.
      Dushi Kòrsou, Nos Tei.

Comment

Ben is right they are hard to repair but not impossible

Conductive paint is not very good for it.

Give me a photo of the damage and I will tell you the best way to fix it.

I reball a lot of equipment and have lifted pads at times, Always managed to repair them though

Comment

Originally posted by newtothis View Post
          Ben is right they are hard to repair but not impossible

Conductive paint is not very good for it.

Give me a photo of the damage and I will tell you the best way to fix it.

I reball a lot of equipment and have lifted pads at times, Always managed to repair them though
          Here they are,
          Attached Files
          Dushi Kòrsou, Nos Tei.

Comment

Ok next give me the part numbers to the BGA device, Your first pic looks only to be ground pads so shouldn't matter. I will check the pinouts and see if you are good.

Second has many more so again need to check which are actually needed then will help you through the repairs

Comment

Ok next give me the part numbers to the BGA device, Your first pic looks only to be ground pads so shouldn't matter. I will check the pinouts and see if you are good.

Second has many more so again need to check which are actually needed then will help you through the repairs
              which part numbers do you mean.
              Dushi Kòrsou, Nos Tei.

Comment

What BGA devices are they?

The numbers should be on the chipset

Comment

What BGA devices are they?

The numbers should be on the chipset
                  The first one is 216-0674024 and the other one is 215-0674034.
                  Dushi Kòrsou, Nos Tei.

Comment

Cant find pinouts for them, Ok can you get a clearer shot of the bottom left missing pad in first image please.... The other 2 are unused so they are fine.

Can you remove the adhesive off the second one so I can see the tracks... If you can't get it off so we can see clearly you may aswell scrap the board with that many lifted
                    Last edited by newtothis; 04-23-2015, 08:04 AM.

Comment

this is the ATI chipset with embedded hd4200 graphics. 1/4 of the pins are either NC or double connections to GND or VCC. So if you are lucky, give it a try as it is, and maybe everything will work. i have always had success with this chip.

Comment

Originally posted by senndogg View Post
                        this is the ATI chipset with embedded hd4200 graphics. 1/4 of the pins are either NC or double connections to GND or VCC. So if you are lucky, give it a try as it is, and maybe everything will work. i have always had success with this chip.
                        Yeah the one with a few pads missing is most likely ok as by the looks of the locations they are just grounds.

Second though..... Chances that the pads are all unimportant is going to be very slim.

Comment

Cant find pinouts for them, Ok can you get a clearer shot of the bottom left missing pad in first image please.... The other 2 are unused so they are fine.

Can you remove the adhesive off the second one so I can see the tracks... If you can't get it off so we can see clearly you may aswell scrap the board with that many lifted
                          This s the first one, i wil load teh second one later when im done with it.
                          Attached Files
                          Dushi Kòrsou, Nos Tei.

Comment

ok that pad needs a repair.... What you need to do is scrape the solder mask off slightly to allow you to get to its target connection (its right next to it) get a strand of desoldering wick and cut it so it will pass over the target area and right to the center of the missing pad..... tin the area you scraped off and hold the wick strand in place with tweezers and then touch the tinned area with the iron.

Will look something like this :

This is done across a trace and onto a missing pad... Same principal though
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for your idea, so I really should look at where it comes and make a connection, and how can you tell which are ground.
                              Dushi Kòrsou, Nos Tei.

Comment

Originally posted by Life Goes On View Post
                                Thank you for your idea, so I really should look at where it comes and make a connection, and how can you tell which are ground.
                                It probably won't be very obvious, since boards with BGAs usually are 4 layer or more, so they have an inner copper plane that is dedicated to ground. You could use a multimeter and check each pin for continuity to ground ... that's the best way I can think of.
                                Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

It probably won't be very obvious, since boards with BGAs usually are 4 layer or more, so they have an inner copper plane that is dedicated to ground. You could use a multimeter and check each pin for continuity to ground ... that's the best way I can think of.
                                  Thank you for that info, i will try it.
                                  Dushi Kòrsou, Nos Tei.

Comment

I can see the 2 are grounded from the pic... You can see differing colour variants which can give it away.

Yes can check using a multimeter too via resistance, find a ground point on top of the board (Usually around the screw holes) and check like that... That will give away ground and non grounded pads.

Been a while since I lifted any pads and low and behold lifted 2 when reballing a PS3 Phat today!... Both were grounds so omitted them. System works fine

Comment

I wasn't concentrating when I lifted these pads and also PS3 phats are buggers to reflow/reball anyway. Though to have lifted the amount you have done is quite a lot.

Are you only just learning how to reball?
                                      What machine are you using?
                                      Profile?
                                      Flux type?
                                      Wick type?
                                      Iron tip type?... and temp?

Comment

I can see the 2 are grounded from the pic... You can see differing colour variants which can give it away.

Yes can check using a multimeter too via resistance, find a ground point on top of the board (Usually around the screw holes) and check like that... That will give away ground and non grounded pads.

Been a while since I lifted any pads and low and behold lifted 2 when reballing a PS3 Phat today!... Both were grounds so omitted them. System works fine
                                        I only have trouble with the 0,5 balls, who are a little tricky during cleaning.
                                        Dushi Kòrsou, Nos Tei.

Comment

Working...
                                        X