No announcement yet.

What is a good de-soldiering iron/tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is a good de-soldiering iron/tool?

Originally posted by evilkitty View Post
    I am going to get a zd915 for Christmas, so those links would be useful
    I know you said you replaced the caps in it's PSU would you happen to have cap part numbers or specs? I will need to make sure the PSU is the same in this unit, but if they are that would be a time saver

Here is the link to the spare parts for the ZD-915 or ZD-917

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PLASTIC...53.m2749.l2649

I am not home right now but when I have some time I will post here for you
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-23-2017, 03:22 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      wait till you open it, their are 2 different psu's
      some have a switchmode and others have a transformer.
      i dont know which is newer.

also, check the power cable with a meter - a few have been made with the wires crossed-over by mistake.
      the ac in or the dc out?

Comment

ac mains cable

Comment

ac mains cable
          I seen that but there will not be enough cord left to change it around
          and seeing how it has a grounded plug and it is grounded good inside the cabinet I do see a real problem with unless something goes wrong

I will grant it is not the way it should be done
          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-23-2017, 06:42 PM.
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

??
            the ac cord unplugs - it's just a "kettle lead" like on a pc.

Comment

Any comments about the 88-552A ZD-522 desolder gun?

I have a really ancient 4331 I think, had to replace the heating element once. I figure that if it dies again, it's way way obsolete and getting parts is virtually impossible now, retrofitting one of these guns would be cheaper... alas can't use the tips old gun... probably have to swap connectors, but hopefully the heat control is compatible enough (4331 is very primitive, this gun might actually be better quality but my controller probably can't utilize it...)

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                Meh.

T12 irons/tips for the win. Nothing can beat their price/performance ratio. JBC has really good irons, stations, and desoldering equipment, but they are pricey. Like really $$. But good, though.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post

I have a really ancient 4331 I think, had to replace the heating element once. I figure that if it dies again, it's way way obsolete and getting parts is virtually impossible now, retrofitting one of these guns would be cheaper... alas can't use the tips old gun... probably have to swap connectors, but hopefully the heat control is compatible enough (4331 is very primitive, this gun might actually be better quality but my controller probably can't utilize it...)
                  dont know what your talking about without links.

that said, it sounds similar to what i'm prepping to do.
                  i have a weller desoldering station with a dead iron,
                  so i got a zhongdi iron and intend to hook them together.
                  http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d007...5-7/dp/SD01394

btw, the complete units are cheap
                  http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d006...lug/dp/SD01384
                  but that would be no challenge/fun!
                  Last edited by stj; 12-24-2017, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Not all temperature sensors on these type of soldering irons are the same so if it has a temperature display might not work right just be aware of this

I know this because I have tried this and this did not work

I have a Xytronic soldering station I really do not like the temperature controller on this unit
                    I have a ZD-916 soldering station I really do not like the soldering iron on this unit

So I want to use the soldering iron of Xytronic on the ZD-916 but the temperature sensor is not compatible with the ZD-916 temperature controller so it gives an error message
                    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-24-2017, 09:54 AM.
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

fully aware of that.
                      weller used a thermister,
                      the zhong-di stuff uses a thermocouple.
                      that's fine - i want a digital display with presets rather than a pot and flashing led anyway!

plenty of controllers on ebay.
                      although i may build this one!
                      https://manolena.wordpress.com/2015/...tion-with-avr/

Comment

Well T12 is for soldering/simply melting solder, we're discussing desolder/removing solder!

Not much data out there about my ancient rework station, but I do know it's a 24-volt transformer based with op amp/triac based temperature control, so yes, simply using the zhong-di and don't connect the thermal sensor as mine doesn't use it (it uses resistance of the heating element - old cheap ancient design.)

Unfortunately that means that the thermal conductivity/mass of the tip is different so it might not work so well.

At least it does have the pump in the base similar to the newer units.

Comment

plenty of controllers on ebay.
                          although i may build this one!
                          https://manolena.wordpress.com/2015/...tion-with-avr/
                          The only controller that I find uses the “ T12 “ soldering iron tips

I would like to make my own or buy a controller board for the Xytronic soldering iron tips that I could set the temperature and read the temperature at the same time where would I find something like this

I have some “ T12 “ soldering iron tip but the controller just has a LED that flash’s when it at the temperature that is estimated but the handle to me feel it a little crap-e when holding it

It is very similar to this one but mine is all yellow in color

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HAKKO-FM-20...0AAOSwke9aEkcD
                          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-24-2017, 08:23 PM.
                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                          1 Dell Mother Board
                          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

23 screws later...
                            looks like the same unit sam sam sam has with those 25v 2200uf caps that should be 35v

which component should be +120v ac, the black disk or the yellow brick? (center image left side)
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by evilkitty; 12-25-2017, 04:33 PM.

Comment

If you put the 3300uf@35 volt caps in it is going a very tight fit
                              When you order the caps make sure of the diameter
                              When you look up the 2200uf@35 volt caps you see that 3300uf@35 volt has a bigger diameter

Also make sure that that you replace the 10uf@50 volts
                              And that you put heat sink compound on those three components on the heat sink and make sure the insulation disk are in place and the screws are tight

The two caps on the temperature controller board it would be a good idea to replace them put 35 volt ones instead of the 25 volt ones

I would order both just in case you can fit them in way you want to

I had one of my ZD-916 soldering iron LED black light went black I have a couple of controller boards that have issues so I replace it and now the back light works again

Does your ZD-915 shows “U1” or “U3” if yours is “U1” or there is nothing on boot on the screen then you have an older version of this unit

You might have a problem when it is cooler than 75* F it might restart a few times before it will stay ON there is a work around if this case I will share with what you can do for it to work right
                              Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-25-2017, 06:37 PM.
                              9 PC LCD Monitor
                              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                              1 Dell Mother Board
                              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

which component should be +120v ac, the black disk or the yellow brick? (center image left side)
                                That is the switching power transformer and the component with either 5 or 8 pin that is the switching power supply regulator IC chip in the first photo it is one on the left the one in the middle and the one on the right are for the heater and the other one is for the vacuum pump but I can not remember which one is which without looking at the board again

The black one is the choke coil for electrical noise filtering with the caps that are near it
                                Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-25-2017, 06:51 PM.
                                9 PC LCD Monitor
                                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                1 Dell Mother Board
                                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                                  And that you put heat sink compound on those three components on the heat sink and make sure the insulation disk are in place and the screws are tight
                                  On that note is the back one by the large cap hot or ground, i would expect the bolt going through it could have the threads touch the heat sync
                                  let me circle it, that one had 3 disk between the IC and the nut
                                  Nut -> Red pad -> red pad -> red pad -> IC -> paste -> pad -> Heat sync -> lock washer -> bolt
                                  i put it back like this
                                  Nut -> red pad -> red pad -> IC -> paste -> pad -> Heat sync -> Red pad -> lock washer -> bolt
                                  should i clean of and apply new paste like i would for a CPU's heat sync?

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                                  Does your ZD-915 shows “U1” or “U3” if yours is “U1” or there is nothing on boot on the screen then you have an older version of this unit
                                  have not powered it on, stj said the mains wire may be reversed, so i wanted to check that 1st, but not sure which side should be Line and Neutral, i know the power switch goes to the yellow brick 1st, i would assume the switch should get line, but i am not sure if he meant the wire to the switch or the wire to the board
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by evilkitty; 12-25-2017, 08:20 PM.

Comment

On that note is the back one by the large cap hot or ground,
                                    The black one is on the hot side of power supply to the outlet

i would expect the bolt going through it could have the threads touch the heat sync let me circle it, that one had 3 disk between the IC and the nut

Nut -> Red pad -> red pad -> red pad -> IC -> paste -> pad -> Heat sync -> lock washer -> bolt

i put it back like this
                                    Nut -> red pad -> red pad -> IC -> paste -> pad -> Heat sync -> Red pad -> lock washer -> bolt
                                    should i clean of and apply new paste like i would for a CPU's heat sync?
                                    The insulation disk (which is gray in color) goes between the IC chip and the heat sink

The screw should have a plastic washer on the heat sink side and chip the washer and lock washer and then the nut make sure that chip has these parts on it

have not powered it on, stj said the mains wire may be reversed, so i wanted to check that 1st, but not sure which side should be Line and Neutral, i know the power switch goes to the yellow brick 1st, i would assume the switch should get line, but i am not sure if he meant the wire to the switch or the wire to the board
                                    When you look at the outlet
                                    The pin on the right side is the line side
                                    The pin on the left side is the neutral side
                                    The bottom on pin is the ground side

The fuse should be on line side of the plug if it is not then it should be but check with another cord just to make sure it is not cord that is wired that is wired wrong
                                    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-25-2017, 10:28 PM.
                                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                    1 Dell Mother Board
                                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

My "insulation disk" has corners, i do not think i can call that a disk...

Do you have a list of replacement caps that will fit the board from where you replaced them in the past?
                                      not sure if it will fit as i have not taken measurements, but EEU-FR1V222L 12.5mm dia 3.5cm tall 2200uf 35v

about the pin set i was asking about the part at the I wanted to make sure the lead from the switch to the PCB was correct

time to get some sleep...
                                      Last edited by evilkitty; 12-25-2017, 10:30 PM.

Comment

I will let you know tomorrow
                                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                        1 Dell Mother Board
                                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

if your looking that closely, find out how the trigger controls the pump.

on the older transformer type ones, it was just direct and the switch & cable got hot.
                                          a solid-state relay was a good upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                                          X